It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the MSM is a threat to society

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder
www.theepochtimes.com...
Any old twist to the dark side will suffice.. If Trump's make America hat blew off when he was on his yacht and he simply walked on top and across the water to retrieve it the MSN head lines would be, "TRUMP CAN NOT SWIM" !

The failing @nytimes wrote a Fake piece today implying that because White House Councel Don McGahn was giving hours of testimony to the Special Councel, he must be a John Dean type “RAT.” But I allowed him and all others to testify – I didn’t have to. I have nothing to hide……

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 19, 2018

“I have nothing to hide and have demanded transparency so that this Rigged and Disgusting Witch Hunt can come to a close,” he added. “So many lives have been ruined over nothing – McCarthyism at its WORST! Yet Mueller & his gang of Dems refuse to look at the real crimes on the other side – Media is even worse!”

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: intrepid
Intrepid's 1st Law: The media's threat is directly proportional to the stupidity of the masses.

Good god, now I'm really scared.
The masses are pretty fricken stupid...

I've seen people champion bad ideas from the media and # on good ones because of the "side" they come from. IMO that pretty stupid.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

This post is utter nonsense

Of course the msm on the right is equally bad as on the left

But for you to claim that right wing watchers are devils or drooling while the left isnt like that is absurd and shows your bias, rather unintentional or not

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

While you may be correct to some degree, isn't it the media's job to investigate and follow up to make sure that lies and propaganda aren't happening? None of that is happening today because the media is more interested in being the first ones to report on something rather than investigate it first. To me, that is a threat to our society.

We would sure like to think so... but that doesn't take into account the propaganda by government under color of law. And that includes anonymous leaks by intelligence agents and officials to paint a certain picture for the public. Hence "the media" can truthfully print "unnamed sources say blah blah blah." Doesn't make the "blah blah blah" true. But it's true that someone said it.

More important, there will always be lying liars. Always. Isn't a greater threat to dumb down the people so they cannot reasonably and rationally break down and judge the information given?

And isn't it an even greater threat still that we the people must rely on the word of others, rather than have complete transparency so that we can know the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth for ourselves?

The real threat is that we're treated like mushrooms by government: Kept in the dark and fed manure.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I know the thread is about MSM, but in actuality it seems to be more of a "social media" issue, where anger and animosity thrive, and somehow manages to reproduce at an alarming rate.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
I know the thread is about MSM, but in actuality it seems to be more of a "social media" issue, where anger and animosity thrive, and somehow manages to reproduce at an alarming rate.

With entities using Twitter to relate their positions is there any difference today?

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

The truth is that the msm is more pro establishment than left or right

In other words, they will cheer lead for there respective party (fox for republicans, cnn and the rest for democrats) but when the real important issues arise, they totally agree with each other and back the establishment, rich is made up of senior republicans and democrats that pretend to disagree but are really on the same side

I have always said, when you see Fox News and msnbc agree on something, that is an issue that should frighten you

For example, apparently all of these outlets have never seen a war they don’t like

Just look at the lock step push to go into Iraq from all media

Or Libya, or now Syria

In fact the only time the left wing media praises trump is when he is bombing Syria

And for all of those that think it’s great that the overwhelming bulk of the msm hates trump, remember, any non establishment left wing person will be treated with the exact same contempt

Just ask Jill stein

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

In other words, they will cheer lead for there respective party (fox for republicans, cnn and the rest for democrats) but when the real important issues arise, they totally agree with each other and back the establishment, rich is made up of senior republicans and democrats that pretend to disagree but are really on the same side

They all typically run the same stories, the only difference is how they write or say the headlines. If you go into google news, whenever there is a popular story, everyone will run a piece on it. It is funny to see how they all word it to fit their audiences.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Twitter is social media. My point is, you don't see the MSM reporting on "Pgate", and rallying troops to go on the offensive against another group and such. This is why facebook et.al. have done some recent purging.

It's essentially those news stations that have "24 hour" news where so many talk shows and opinion pieces, etc. occur. I think you can watch 'the evening news' on some of the other stations that aren't 24 hour new shows, and get a more accurate reporting of events and facts without all the editorializing, which is what most people do.

The hard core 'news/politic junkies' are the ones staying tuned to the 24 hr. news shows which contain an overwhelming abundance of opinions.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Why the MSM is a threat to society

It is.

In the separation of powers. The executive,Legislative,and Judical are suppose to keep each other in check.

This has failed miserable.

The Fourth branch (media) has equally failed.

If people haven't learned by now in a 'democracy' criticism is a TWO-WAY street.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   
The owners and controllers of the MSM are the enemy of the People....they are Domestic Terrorists.....they work with Civic employees and Corporations also controlled by the same people.... to screw …...We the People .

When you consider it in 2018 when we KNOW ABOUT THE SUBLIMINALS AND THE BRAINWASHING AND THE LIES.....it was ALWAYS EXTREMELY INSANE to allow them to broadcast a monopoly into our ho,es 24/7/365....then they even got us paying for it....lol...paying to be brainwashed.

We need a list of Trump Approved News sources.....and we need a list of all the others and of their true owners...someone untangle the corporate camouflage and give us the names of those who control from the shadows.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

I wish you would have put "critical thinking is common among lefties" in the beginning so I could stop reading way earlier.

No one denies fox New is right leaning but the left spews their echo chamber in every form of media we have on the internet. Leftist ideologies are everywhere while fox has fox news. At least fox sports doesn't spew political crap like toxic ESPN.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

If you actually believe the BS you just vomited onto the internet, then the media has done a thorough job indeed of manipulating the masses.

Well haven't that they?

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

What proven slander lol? Name one incident?

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Lots of people are influenced without their participation are you kidding?

I laugh at folks who think they are above it all but others are willing victims.

What shampoo do you use? How'd you hear about it?
What was the last book you read?
Where'd you hear about it?

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

All the msm has to do I post a correction or put opinion before an article and they can spew whatever crap they want freely.

Unnamed sources used to sensationalize topics and information and they have an excuse just in case they get called out for false information.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   
The Smith-Mundt act that Obama repealed in 2012, after his re election.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   

But they do not have alternatives, especially if its local news you are after. Many, MANY local news outlets are affiliated with Fox and are given editorial instruction from a central core, as a result of station management being handed "must runs" which play to the Fox news agenda. The scale of Fox's reach means that in many places, its the only game in town.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Don't be so hard on yourself.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: one4all

If you learn to understand the issues and make your own decision on them then you will be OK. No one is forced at this point to watch specific news casts.

Once we start carving pieces out of free speech it will at some point be gone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join