It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have no idea what it was

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   
The wife and I were out and we saw some kind of air craft flying very low over a populated area.

If I had to pick a plane that it resembled most I would have to say the Beechcraft Starship. Except this was much much smaller, maybe big enough for one person, maybe not. And it had a vertical stabilizer in the center on the back of the craft. It had a very swept canard on the front and a very slim delta wing. It was so small we couldn't tell if it was a drone or not. We were not near any airports and this thing was probably no more than 150 feet off the ground.

I worked line service at a fairly small airport. I know how to recognize small planes. We even had a few EV at our little airport. But I have never seen anything like this. There was no engine sound I could detect. I did not see a jet engine but I did not see a prop either. It didn't have the wing surface to be a glider.

I really have no idea what it was. Anyone?

edit on 19-8-2018 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
NOTICE: AboveTopSecret.com management is now enforcing new standards for the opening posts of threads.

Opening posts that contain minimal content, links with little or no explanation, YouTube videos with no commentary, images with little or no commentary, and similar nominal content may be removed without warning or explanation. If your topic is important to you, make sure you explain why, with links and supporting material so that our members may offer more relevant contributions, and ultimately, better threads. In fact, if you have less to say than this simple notice, then you probably do not have enough to start a new thread. Thank you for your assistance in helping to create great threads on ATS.

When you click this form-field, this message will disappear.

Me neither.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Based on that description, I can see why...lol

Sorry, hit the enter key accidentally.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Also, the nose was too narrow to house any kind of engine. I don't recall seeing a vertical stabilizer on a rear engine plane before. This one really has me guessing.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Sounds like a homebuilt of some sort. Could be anything. I've seen a Varieze fly, pretty quiet.

This isn't a Varieze.
www.quickheads.com...

eta: Nor is it a pusher.

This is, but...
www.aopa.org...

edit on 8/19/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
It looked very much like the Beechcraft Starship except much smaller. Barely big enough for a single person - if that. It really was not a big craft. The canard was swept back at a fairly steep angle. The wing was very identifiable as a delta type but it was very narrow front to back. Overall, there not much wing surface at all. It had to be very light. The nose was very thin, less than a foot diameter until it neared the wing. Then if it got wide enough to accommodate a person it was a small person with not a lot of room to spare. I haven't found a pic that is close enough to post yet.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Sounds like the Iran Quaher, they are here already!

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Sounds like a little homebuilt. Maybe a Chudzjk CC-02 or something similar.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 05:31 AM
link   
There is an electric powered plane based on the Long-ez.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert
Sounds like a little homebuilt. Maybe a Chudzjk CC-02 or something similar.

Good find. If thats not it, its pretty darn close. The wing and stabilizer looked pretty much like that but the nose still seemed narrower. I guess it could have been the angle I saw it from.

Now if I could just figure out why it was so low over a populated area. Unless there is a private air strip I don't know about it was way too low over a residential area. I am still looking in to that possibility.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
If it were larger I would guess a Velocity V twin. It would be pretty quiet on approach.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I remember the first time I saw a long-ez. I was on a run (I was a highschool xc runner) and my route took me by the local airport. It was wild, I thought I was seeing something crazy. I actually popped into the little terminal building and got to talk with the owner/pilot. They're a cool design, might like to build one myself one day

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: hawkguy

I've helped build four of them. What I would love to do is to modify one to use a T58 jet engine without the turboshaft section.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Duuuuude

new topics

top topics

join