It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Double vision in Scotland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
This is the fiftieth anniversary of an odd event which I experienced during a family holiday in Scotland.

We were in the middle of our annual caravan tour through the Scottish highlands. We were in Perthshire at the time. To be exact, we were on a caravan site in the Carse of Gowrie (an excellent road atlas was providing these local details). We had visited Glamis Castle the previous day. Our next planned move was to drive up into the Pass of Drummochtar and spend the night in the lay-by which we christened “wild sheep country”.

I was sitting, reading in the caravan, while my father and my brother had gone off to the camp shop for the usual supplies (newspapers, certainly, and probably bread and milk). Being impatient for them to return so that we could get on with the day, I looked out of the window and saw them coming near. That was satisfactory, so I returned to my book.

Several minutes passed, and they had not arrived on the scene, so I looked out again. Nobody was in sight. “Funny, I thought” (in my best Dudley Moore voice), and I returned to the book.

After several more minutes, I looked out for a third time, and there they were again. A few moments later, they were clattering up the steps and into the van, which is what I had been expecting the first time.

The odd event was something which I noticed at once and recorded on the day.
I had seen them approaching twice, and the two images were identical.
Not only did they have the same appearance, side by side, with what they were carrying, but they had also reached the same point on the ground.
It was as if the first picture was a “preview” of the second.

I believe there’s a German or Scandinavian word for this kind of experience. I discovered one, once, but haven’t been able to track it down again.

I may as well add that the event had no consequences. It wasn’t an omen of anyone’s death, and it wasn’t the first of many similar experiences.
It was just something mildly puzzling.

edit on 19-8-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Careful- you mention anything in these forums anymore, and you'll get, in either order: "you have (some sort of) mental problem", followed almost immediately by "You must have had (insert drug of choice here)".

I had this sort of thing happen in a much more compressed fashion a few months ago. I watched a car go over a hill coming towards us (I was riding in our car), followed immediately by... the car going over the hill. Like a bad edit in a B movie. Me- I blamed it on a seizure, so expect your mileage to vary. If it was a seizure, it was awful weird to see it before it happened, because the car would have jumped well past me and my perception, but it hadn't- it continued from the second 'jump' like nothing had happened. It was car, *jump cut here* car, car keeps going past.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

A member created a thread on the phenomenon a while back, here's a link (it's called Vardøger).
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Interesting stuff!
edit on 19-8-2018 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: wylekat
I don't think they could say that about a non-repeating event happening fifty years ago. Anyway, I doubt if drugs were available in our village back then.
What can one say about these things, except that they are odd?

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov
Ah, that may have been where I saw the name before. I suspect I saw the thread and then googled. Thank you.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
You were in an area without distractions or disturbance, your mind was at peace? In our usual fast paced lives we are constantly distracted. Stimulation overload. Our minds are rarely at a gentle rest. I think we have lost a lot by being modern civilized people.

Ahhh, close blood relatives, then the spirit is strong. In some places the veil is thin. Think Déjà Vu" but stronger, more pronounced. Perhaps you first glimpsed a few minutes into what will be rather than the present or the past.

When I find myself in one of those special places, (for me Chaco Canyon) my mind seems undistracted, more focused, closer to the spirit world. I feel different there, like the veil that separates the sprit world and the physical world isn’t as difficult to cross. Just my rambling thoughts.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Maybe a sign that " time " if it actually exists..is not linear at all.
We measure events because as humans we need to measure and label everything.
Events are happening in the moment that they happen..we see them in a linear fashion..such as past / present / future.
But maybe they are always happening in " the moment "
Certain situations might allow for our consciousness to be fully present and we " see " things a wee bit differently ?

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing

edit on 19/8/18 by cosmickat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Funny you should mention it, I live in that part of the world. And there are quite a few similar stories floating around the locals. Little time-slips.

The most common story is when somebody is driving, and they do a double take as they realise they're driving past a bit of road they could have sworn they'd already driven past. That one has happened to me once.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz
I've seen the suggestion that it happens more in northern latitudes, such as Scotland and Scandinavia.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Maybe they forgot something and turned around when you weren'tooking ... And then you looked again when they came
Back .

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1
I was convinced that they were crossing the same point on the ground on both sightings, which would have been an odd coincidence of timing.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 05:30 AM
link   

I've often wondered if our subconsciousnesses have some kind of feedback into the near future.

I've experienced similar things, read about them and heard first hand anecdotes so I'm not ready to wave them away as mere lies or waking dreams. The time thing is the closest explanation that suits me. It's as if, on rare occasions, our minds somehow receive a sensory experience that really shouldn't have happened for several more minutes or hours. As far as I'm aware they're typically mundane things that reflect our typically mundane daily experience.

One example from my own bank is getting a speeding ticket years ago. I was driving a bit too fast approaching a bend and dip that I've driven down 1000s of times. The idea popped in my head that police were round the corner and I instinctively tapped the brakes. Zap! Got hit with the speed camera. It struck me at the time as being very bizarre and coincidence didn't seem to cut it as the sense of police being there was very graphic and sure.

If there's any reality to my half-baked notion it could shed light on why people sometimes report feelings of anxiety prior to things like bombings and disasters. We might all have very rare experiences and don't really remember them because of the banality. Those preceding major events would bear repeating and gain more awareness. They've got more chat value and remain open to interpretation.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky
Yes, this one was so minimal that it seemed hardly worth mentioning. I don't suppose I would have bothered if I wasn't pursuing fiftieth anniversaries for other reasons.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

There's also a possibility that we can get into mild fugue states when immersed in a good book or driving. Although I've lost the ability these days, I used to get lost in novels in my teens and 20s. Kinda miss it now I think about it and can empathise with the pull of anniversaries whether they're significant or simply nostalgic.

top topics

join