It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should you be eating diatomaceous earth?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
O goody a new super food.

The latest ‘superfood’ people are touting is a little weirder than normal, in that it’s the fossilised remains of tiny marine animals. That’s not something we’d usually consider eating, but holistic nutritionist Lee Holmes proclaims this magical substance can help people lose weight, remedy gut health, and improve skin.

It helps clean out your gut, gets rid of worms and parasites, is vegan and gluten-free and helps you detox bad stuff out of your body. What will they think of next.

Read more here.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Salt water fish when eaten raw does the same thing, a little sake to down it with would help a bit for older people.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

The latest ‘superfood’ people are touting is a little weirder than normal, in that it’s the fossilised remains of tiny marine animals. That’s not something we’d usually consider eating, but holistic nutritionist Lee Holmes proclaims this magical substance can help people lose weight, remedy gut health, and improve skin.

It helps clean out your gut, gets rid of worms and parasites, is vegan and gluten-free and helps you detox bad stuff out of your body. What will they think of next.

Read more here.

I'm pretty sure this stuff is used for killing insects. The reason it works is because it's basically ground up fossils and is billions and trillions of tiny razor sharp microscopic daggers. When insects walk over it, their legs and undersides are cut up and they die.

I am not sure it is a good idea to drink a billion tiny razors, regardless of what some doctor says. Doctors aren't Jesus, many of them have a price and will say anything for the right one.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Yes, kills any insect with an ectoskeleton. I agree about Docs and try to stay away from them.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Salt water fish when eaten raw does the same thing, a little sake to down it with would help a bit for older people.

It would seem that could give you worms and parasites, not kill them. Unless that is what the sake is for?

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

It's really healthy when you inhale it.......

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

Read more here.

I'm pretty sure this stuff is used for killing insects. The reason it works is because it's basically ground up fossils and is billions and trillions of tiny razor sharp microscopic daggers. When insects walk over it, their legs and undersides are cut up and they die.

I am not sure it is a good idea to drink a billion tiny razors, regardless of what some doctor says. Doctors aren't Jesus, many of them have a price and will say anything for the right one.

I use it in our pool filter. Read the warning labels.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I remember doing some experiments in refractory mixes a few years ago. Diatomaceous earth was one of the compounds that I experimented with. I recall that one of the handling recommendations was the use of a filter mask to prevent inhaling the dust.

So, I did a little research and it appears that there are several kinds of DE. The Food Grade DE, with a minimal crystalline component is what would be used in this health fad.

However, the other class of DE is Calcined Diatomaceous Earth. This stuff has a much higher crystalline content. Prolonged exposure to this compound can cause Silicosis. I believe that this is the class of DE that I was using.

Hopefully anyone contemplating this Diatomaceous Earth diet gets the correct product. In other words, it's probably best to get your DE from a health food store; and not from the garden center.

I'm curious about how this will be handled on the social media platforms. When this gets passed around, will Facebook put a "fake news" disclaimer around it?

References:
A Guide to Safe Handling of Diatomaceous Earth Products (PDF)
National Pesticide Information Center
Be Sure to Follow These DE Safety Precautions

-dex

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Always remember, someone needs to graduate at the bottom of the list.....doctors included.

Frankly, I wouldn't listen to a doctor that graduated at the bottom of the list that advocates eating dirt as being a part of a healthy "cleansing" diet (that he sells).

Don't people use their brains anymore???

SMH

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

It's really healthy when you inhale it.......

Oh No, I thought you snorted it!

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

I used to think that the diatomaceous earth would scratch the wax off of the insect exoskeletons, so they'd dry out quicker than they can find water. But I just checked Wikipedia, and it says the actual effect is from the powdered earth absorbing lipids. Who knows, but I guess that's true then.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley
Good info to know, thanks for the input.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   
How it works

That's crazy. And the picture on the lft in that link is the effect of the food grade DE and how it slices up a cockroach. The stuff on the right is regular DE.

Diatomaceous Earth is composed of the fossilized exoskeletons of tiny organisms known as diatoms. These fossilized diatoms have very sharp edges allowing the diatomaceous earth to kill insects by lacerating their outer shells and dehydrating them.

When crawling insects come in contact with food grade diatomaceous earth it is much like crawling across shards of broken glass. The insects’ movement across the DE helps the razor sharp edges to lacerate its body.

More power to anyone who wants to try this, but I think there's a reason it kills all the fauna inside you. Probably takes some intestine along with it.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Wait a minute...

If Diatomaceous Earth is mostly silica, and silica is sharp and basically glass, and Morgellon's Disease is silica fibers puncturing through the skin...

Is it possible that Morgellon's Disease is tied to those people who consume Diatomaceous Earth?

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   

People in some Southern States have eaten clay for generations.

White dirt" is actually a soft, chalky clay called kaolin and is widely used to make porcelain, paper and paint. The mineral kaolinite is one of the most common in the world, and the best-known deposits are located in the southeastern U.S.

It is a mineral and perhaps it can offer something special.

www.npr.org...

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
People can't live without Silica the building block of life. My uncle feeds DE to his livestock, if it's safe for animal consumption and we eat them, then it's safe for us. The only thing DE does is kill parasites, it's natural i've taken it for 15 years and i've haven't dropped dead because of it so no, it's not dangerous and yeah it's safe.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: AngelicIRage

You have been taking DE for 15 years, wow! Did you start taking it because of your uncle or did you hear that it is good for you somewhere?

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

I don't think that is the same thing as DE. Lived in GA for decades and never heard of that. I ate dirt when I was a kid though.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   

I just assumed people knew about silica. I have no problems with it, it clears the bowels out and kills off bugs in your intestines. it tastes like dirt let me say first of all but it's not that bad, i think i'm healthier than my city friends who are getting colds and skin problems in their mid 30's now.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I did it for 4 months once a day as a "cure" for an ulcer.

It did nothing.

And as far as I can tell, after seeing gastrologist and having tests done , it didn't hurt me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join