It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manafort Jury Sent Home Scared

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Sabrechucker

Just Wow.... hard to believe this even for the MSM. The threat of release of a jurors name and address is blatant attempt of jury tampering / threatening to me anyway. No way in hell I would want to be on a jury where the news media would make my life hell if I came back with a decision they didn't like.

www.cnn.com...

The judge presiding over the trial of Paul Manafort said he's received "threats" and is not willing to disclose jurors' names and addresses requested by media outlets.

"I don't feel right if I release their names," Judge T.S. Ellis said.

Ellis did not disclose details about the threats in a hearing Friday. But he said it was enough to make him wary of making the 12 jurors and four alternates' names public. The jury has not yet reached a verdict and is currently deliberating for the second day.

"I've received criticism and threats. I'd imagine they would to," he told an attorney representing seven media organizations at a hearing Friday.
"I had no idea myself this case would arouse such public interest. I still am surprised," Ellis said.

He added that the US Marshals Service follows him everywhere, even to his hotel — which he presumably stays in when court is in session because he lives outside of Northern Virginia. The jurors don't have that protection, and Ellis even keeps secret the name of his hotel, he said.

He also noted that making the jurors' names public in such a high-profile case could chill future potential jurors in similarly watched cases from wanting to serve.

The media attorney, Matthew Kelley from the law firm Ballard Spahr, argued that the appeals court governing the area says juror names should be made public except in special circumstances.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 12:04 AM
link   
It wasn't just CNN that filed the motion. The Washington Post, New York Times, Associated Press, CNN and Politico were part of the coalition that made the request.
Washington Post

The Post filed the joint motion with the New York Times, the Associated Press, CNN and Politico.

The request was for a lot of information, not just for the jury.

The news organizations are seeking to compel disclosure of affidavits, records of seizures and the warrants themselves that Mueller filed in bringing indictments against such figures as Manafort and former national security adviser Michael Flynn.

The Post filed the joint motion with the New York Times, the Associated Press, CNN and Politico.

The request covers warrant material used in the investigation of former Trump foreign policy adviser George Papadopoulos, Manafort associate Rick Gates and 13 Russian nationals who worked for the Internet Research Agency, a St. Petersburg-based company that allegedly plotted to undermine the 2016 election.

Information used to obtain criminal warrants is typically released to the public after a short holding period, typically a few weeks. But some Mueller documents have remained sealed for several months. Manafort and Gates, for example, were indicted in October.

Did someone from CNN indicate that they wanted the jury information so they could expose the jurors? Or is this some leap of logic to make it look like CNN is attempting to tamper with the case?

BTW: I don't care for WP articles myself. But this one seemed to be the most succinct in detailing the reality of the filed motion. However, there are other sources that provide similar commentary.

-dex

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Do jurors sometimes make money selling their story after a famous trial ends? Everyone knows who they are/were, after the trial...right?

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 12:14 AM
link   
It all brings up a good question as to the rights that jurors have.

If they feel that their participation in a trial is a threat to their lives, even though not directly threatened, can they be legally excused if they request it?

I also wonder if any of them have already asked to be excused.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Sabrechucker

Why don't people start Doxxing CNN, I mean you list their address and what not, maybe compile their schedules.

#DoxCNN

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

Did someone from CNN indicate that they wanted the jury information so they could expose the jurors? Or is this some leap of logic to make it look like CNN is attempting to tamper with the case?

BTW: I don't care for WP articles myself. But this one seemed to be the most succinct in detailing the reality of the filed motion. However, there are other sources that provide similar commentary.

-dex

Are you serious? Just a few months ago they went after a dweeb nobody Reddit user over a GIF they didn't like and told him to be good or else we will publish your personal details. Hell, if I was on that jury I would be scared s#hitless if we were coming back with a not guilty verdict now knowing that they would do this kind of thing. Hell, CNN even bragged about it on their own website, how they found him, how they reached out to contact him on knowing their identity, brag on having him apologize, and then blatantly threaten that they will dox him if he angers them again.

Seriously. Read their own story on it. They are bragging about it. They could easily publish the jurors information (leaked to twitter of course). Look at my source story.... they may have asked for a lot of things but their lawyers commented on their disappointment with not getting those juror names and addresses.

How CNN found the Reddit user behind the Trump wrestling GIF

www.cnn.com...

The apology came after CNN's KFile identified the man behind "HanA**holeSolo." Using identifying information that "HanA**holeSolo" posted on Reddit, KFile was able to determine key biographical details, to find the man's name using a Facebook search and ultimately corroborate details he had made available on Reddit.

On Monday, KFile attempted to contact the man by email and phone but he did not respond. On Tuesday, "HanA**holeSolo" posted his apology on the subreddit /The_Donald and deleted all of his other posts.

After posting his apology, "HanA**holeSolo" called CNN's KFile and confirmed his identity. In the interview, "HanA**holeSolo" sounded nervous about his identity being revealed and asked to not be named out of fear for his personal safety and for the public embarrassment it would bring to him and his family.

CNN is not publishing "HanA**holeSolo's" name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again. In addition, he said his statement could serve as an example to others not to do the same.

CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change.

We can and will find you, we can make your life hell, cost you everything, and if you don't do exactly what we say we will pull the trigger and ruin your life.

I will ask you directly, would you want to be one of those jurors if the Press had your name and address and you knew there was a good chance you may be rendering a verdict they didn't like?
edit on 19-8-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-8-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Ok. For the example you provided it's obvious that CNN snowflaked out for some ratings points.

CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change.
As long as this guy wasn't advocating violence against someone, he was well within his First Amendment rights to create whatever content he wants. CNN's approach in this case was a pure pussy move.

However, what reason would they have to release the juror's names and information? Clearly the jury members are fearful. If CNN doxxed them and some harm came to them, they would be criminally and civilly liable. Not a good business model, if you ask me.

In any event, I thought that it was important to show the CNN wasn't the only news agency involved in making this request.

-dex

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Sublimecraft

So doxing CNN employees is bad.

But doxing jurors in a trial that the MSM has a partisan interest in, is good.

I think we need to dox CNN.

Remember last year when CNN threatened to dox a kid for posting memes on Reddit? That was just a taste of the extremes they are willing to go to appease their handlers. Scary times we are heading into.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

No one ever publishes the addresses of jurors. That's ridiculous. I'm sure no one was suggesting it now.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Yeah just wait. Lol.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Bull#. You believe every lie they throw at you.
No one is threatening those jurors over a tax fraud trial with an almost guaranteed conviction. Think it through. Breitbart up to their old tricks.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

So they're all breaking the law? Not following the judges orders ? Is that what you're saying.

Here come the add ons that dull Occams razor my friend.
edit on 8192018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I am sure CNN will be trailing jurors from the court getting their home addresses. They will no doubt set their militia on to them should their deliberations not meet CNN requirements.
CNN is fake news and yes, the enemy of the people, demonstrably so.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
What would CNN do?

You can almost see them airing the names, with photos of the jurors, their addresses and photos of their homes. If they don't get the verdict they want?

no, I can see them hounding them wanting interviews, or any statements after the trial is done and over with. only the judge has gotten enough threats I guess (he didn't say weather they were from the minions of the right or the left by they way..) that when cnn asked for the identities the judge said no.

God, Russian backed stooges hack american political websites, blast personal and financial information of contributors of the politicial party, and those contributors are still fighting to repair the credit, and you are all aokay with that one!

the families of the kids who were killed in sandy hook are still having to uproot themselves and move time and time again, because the crazy minions of Alex Jones keep finding them and announcing their new location online. Same story with the guy who was misidentifies and the charlottesville driver. Same story for the guy that shot one of the videos of that "accident". and oh, ya we have to protect jones' freedom of speech!!

what cnn asked for, to know who the jurors are, I believe they really weren't expecting this before the verdict came in, isn't that unusual.. the jurors are usually revealed unless there is good reason not to release those names...
like gee, we're sorry, but we have too many lunatics running around at the current time and the judge (and probably his famiiy) is in need of personal protection because he's recieved threats. so, no, we won't be knowing the names of those jurors until sanity returns!!!

as far as I know, there is no way for any of us to know weather the threats the judge received came from left leaning lunatics or right, or heck maybe even russian mob thugs... and, the media wasn't asking for their identities with any bad intentions outside of wanting a good story. and I'd be willing to wager that at least one or two of those jurors will dox themselves by volunteering to be interviewed for their five minutes of fame.

but of course in the conservative mind... it must be those evil liberals that have evil intentions!!!
heck, wouldn't surprise me much to find out that it's trump up late at night, cutting words out of newspapers and pasting them onto paper in tweet form and dropping them into the white house mailbox!

and, let's not forget about this one!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

no, I can see them hounding them wanting interviews, or any statements after the trial is done and over with

I would buy that, but then why do they need them NOW before the trial is over? I mean, there is no hurry, they will be available after the verdict and can talk to the media if they so choose.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Manafort trial Day 14: Jury 'scared' as it heads home without a verdict

That is a mistrial.

They are suppose to stay sequestered until a verdict is reached.

No one can argue with that considering how high profile it's been.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

don't know, they want to be the first in line for the interviews? I got the impression that the request was to release them after the trial ended... of course, that might be because I just think it would be insane to release them before that jury delivers a verdict. but of course, in the real world, I guess insanity rules??

When are juror identities not revealed in a criminal trial?

Occasionally, a judge may decide to conceal the private information of jurors in a criminal case. They may choose to block public access to juror names and addresses in situations where public knowledge of jurors may present some concerns.

These situations can include:

The criminal defendant in the case is considered to be extremely dangerous, and may present a threat of retaliation against the jurors or their loved ones
The criminal defendant is known to have a history of intimidating, bribing, or harming jurors or their alternates
The candidates for jury have informed the court that they are seriously concerned about releasing their name or personal contact information to the public
In high-profile cases, disclosing juror information can sometimes attract undesirable media attention or intrusion

While juror information may be withheld from the public during the trial, it is usually released once a final verdict has been reached.

www.legalmatch.com...

reading this article, it seems that it's more common to release the information once they jurors are picked unless there is good reasons not to?
lol... in this case, there might be good reason not to release those names for at least a decade or two!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Yet here you are doing the exact same thing except in the opposite direction. Be the change you want to see, don't just do things in spite of others. Be the example you expect others to be, otherwise you're just being just as much of a hypocrite as those you cry about.

WHY IN THE PURPLE #### SHOULD I TAKE THE HIGH ROAD WHEN I'M THE ONLY IDIOT ON IT???????????????

Amen to that brother.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I would, but the leftist sites have banned all speech except for their own ####ing echo chamber.

Sounds like you made that up. Besides, you have your very own echo chamber right here, at least that's what it is slowly turning into. Look at the front page and tell me otherwise.

How long is your neck? Because I'm astonished that you can bury your head in the sand while still sitting on the fence.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join