It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: USA, Inc: Executive Clemency for Executive Killers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Anyone here ever play the Shadowrun RPG?

Well, if not, you may want to look into it, as it's pretty much our future, minus the fun of cool races and magic. Where Corporations replace politics and rule all....

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Best plan to push tort reform through (followed immediately by criminal code reform)? I would say criminal code first, cause there're a LOT of guys locked up, on OUR tab, who don't need to be, but if the civil courts are fixed first, those guys who were unfairly put away and jailed for petty, ridiculous infringements on their rights, get to sue their politicians for more in back wages.

I'm thinking the best way would be to offer immunity from prosecution to all the murdering liars. Maybe we should just let them get away free because we as a nation were stupid enough to fall for most of their dirty tricks. That would get reform passed quickly I imagine. "You mean we can just walk away? Where should we sign? Do you require blood instead of ink like my dark master?"

Oh, and would it be a good idea to outlaw lawyers in civil courts? With simplified code based around reason and principles of simple accountability, a balance of rights and responsibilities, the need for lawyers would be eliminated - all plaintiffs and defendants must defend themselves in a court of law, using reason and facts. Those plaintiffs who were eloquent, truthful and impassioned would win more court cases on average on that playing field. Those members of our society with enough sense to talk their way out of trouble, or plead their case for damages successfully, would occupy a better spot in society as a reward (money from settlements, perhaps other awards). Those people would be in a better position to raise a large number of healthy offspring, and we'd be promoting a reasonable populace without all the messy killing eugenics usually entails.

If only the NWO had asked our opinion first, we could have given them some bloodless options.

I mean, we call the place civil court, but there's nothing civil about pitting an unemployed, disabled pensioner against a thousand dollar/hour Professional Character Assassin (or a whole team of them for that matter). Let each man defend himself, let a random jury decide after having looked at the evidence and seen each man speak his case. There should of course be a judge to enforce procedural rules and resolve deadlocks, apply pressure to witnesses, etc.

I think the system we have isn't bad, it's just got a lot of extraneous bells and whistles and back doors that are killing the aerodynamics..The idea of the system is so sexy, the actual item is..well..a whale, a behemoth, a methuselah among methuselahs. There's no nice way of saying it, Lady Justice needs to have some of her extraneous padding removed.

(I mean no offense to 'aerodynamically challenged' people, I myself am a rather robust specimen of the rare bobble-headed drunk-monk.:lol

Lazarus, sofi, Grady, excellent points were made by all of you in recent posts. Reform is necessary, the right kind of reform, right now.

Lazarus
The Native Americans tried that, they couldn't agree on the particulars of the tribal agreement. Basically old hatreds, prejudices, and new greed combined to make the summit unbearable for those interested in real discussion. Some of them are ready to do what is necessary, most are too comfortable with what little they have. History repeats itself until we make attonement for our mistakes. By that logic alone, America is in for a rough haul, we have many, many debts. Not all are counted in dollars. The prelude to my novel-in-progress is a James Baldwin quote:

"In the private chambers of the soul, the guilty party is identified, and the accusing finger there is not legend, but consequence, not fantasy, but the truth. People pay for what they do, and still more, for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it simply: by the lives they lead."

I really, really believe that. I see examples of it every day, in my own life, and the lives of others. Those who have done WRONG, I mean the real dark and dirty stuff, they know who they are and what they've done. Even if conscience has abandoned them, they will still pay for their crimes, one way or another, now or in the afterlife.

I don't believe in one heaven or one hell, I believe we make our own destiny, we make our own dreams, we make our own death. If we die with fear in our heart, we are doomed to our own darkness. If we die full of expectation, wonder, and with a surge of gratitude for the beauty of a life lived, what can there be in death but joy? Basically what I'm saying is, no matter what, they'll get theirs and we'll get ours.

I like to tell one peron every day, "Everything's going to be okay." I know that if they believe me, everything will be okay.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Anyone here ever play the Shadowrun RPG?

Well, if not, you may want to look into it, as it's pretty much our future, minus the fun of cool races and magic. Where Corporations replace politics and rule all....

No. I haven't. But I will look for it. Thanks for the tip.

On a more positive note, WyrdeOne has some cool ideas - he writes good too.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

I mean, we call the place civil court, but there's nothing civil about pitting an unemployed, disabled pensioner against a thousand dollar/hour Professional Character Assassin (or a whole team of them for that matter).

Exactly!

I think the system we have isn't bad, it's just got a lot of extraneous bells and whistles and back doors that are killing the aerodynamics..

You are so funny - and so dead on real.

History repeats itself until we make attonement for our mistakes. By that logic alone, America is in for a rough haul, we have many, many debts. Not all are counted in dollars. The prelude to my novel-in-progress is a James Baldwin quote:

"In the private chambers of the soul, the guilty party is identified, and the accusing finger there is not legend, but consequence, not fantasy, but the truth. People pay for what they do, and still more, for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it simply: by the lives they lead."

Brilliant quote. And please, please, direct me to your novel when it comes out - or to your last if you have one.

I don't believe in one heaven or one hell, I believe we make our own destiny, we make our own dreams, we make our own death. If we die with fear in our heart, we are doomed to our own darkness. If we die full of expectation, wonder, and with a surge of gratitude for the beauty of a life lived, what can there be in death but joy? Basically what I'm saying is, no matter what, they'll get theirs and we'll get ours.

It's true. And everything will be okay. ....I'd just like to help things along a tiny little bit. Call it hubris or maybe impatience, I'd like to see it all happen now, right now. [sigh] Missed that darned point again. Maybe next time. Ohhhmmmmm.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 12:07 AM
link   
OK so you and I know what's really going on. But the vast majority of Americans not only don't know but wouldn't believe it anyway. Nothing's going to change until things get really bad and people are forced to accept reality. Then like all corrupt governments throughout history, revolution will tear it down.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join