It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Antonio passes paid sick leave ordinance

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Aazadan

I just don't think you guys have ever run a business with tight profit margins and get what all of these government regulations are doing to small business in this country

but yeah, back to what theoretically sounds good

Ok, so argue against this specific regulation, take them on a case by case basis.

Paid sick days save companies money. That means they increase margins.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   

no, if you're sick you take a day off

I make $400 a day. A doctors visit is another $300, plus $100 for a medication.

Taking a day off work costs me $800. $1200 if I'm out for two days.

Why should I spend over $1000 when I can instead goto work and bring in that money?

Sure, me getting sick will infect 10 out of the other 30 people in the office, costing the company an average of $15 in productivity per person per hour for the next 3 days while they get over it (that's $3600), but I don't care, I still got my $800 in wages.

Paid sick days save the company money.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

not connected to reality

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Whats the difference between me paying you better and you saving your money for a day off vs you using the government to force me to pay you less per hour to create a pool of capital to pay you to not be at work?

One involves me coming into work sick and eliminating productivity. The other involves me being incentivized to stay home, maybe being semi productive with a work from home setup, and not reducing the productivity of other people around me.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

not connected to reality

Math isn't connected to reality?

Did you know that some companies actually consider coming into the office knowingly sick a fireable offense because of how damaging it is? One sick person during an approaching deadline can cause your product to miss it's release date. At a critical moment this can cause your business to collapse.

Take a moderate sized software company, 30 people means about $2,800 per hour in labor costs. A single sick person that gets half the office sick with the flu will cost you about 50% productivity from 50% of your employees, for 4 days. That's $700 per hour lost or $22,400 lost from one person getting sick and coming in. Lets say that happens to one person on average, once a month. That's 12 times per year, the company loses about $275,000 to sick time.

They could have prevented that with 12 days of company sick time (96 hours), worth $93/hour. That's $9000 in wages. The company saves $265,000 by offering paid sick days as a result. Lets say 5 people abuse paid sick days, for every 1 legitimate one. The company still only pays out $54,000 in sick wages and saves around $225,000 in wages for the year. Since employees generally bring in 10 as much revenue as they cost, that means the company saves 2.3 million dollars.
edit on 19-8-2018 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

I feel you should be entiltiled to sick days 5 or 6 a year but I feel if you want to get paid for them then you need to purchase a short term disability policy something like aflac my old employer had that and as a smart cookie I signed up for it the next year I tore my lateral meniscus in my left knee and had to have surgery I was out of work from memorial day till end of August and I had a check every week we didn't have sick leave there you have 5 personal days you can use for what ever and if you out more than a few days you can put in for fmla leave. I don't feel like it's should be employers responsibility to pay you out of there pockets unless they the reason you out of work .

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join