It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers manage to break a piece of uncooked spaghetti in half

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 04:14 AM
link   

MORE When you study physics, you're bound to brush up against some of the universe's larger mysteries. What came before the Big Bang? What lies inside a black hole? Is it possible to break a stick of dry spaghetti into exactly two pieces?

finally, a new study published Monday (Aug. 13) in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences provides some closure. With the help of some mathematical models and a spaghetti-bending robot, researchers at MIT have found that, yes, it is possible to break a piece of uncooked spaghetti into just two pieces, but there's a twist … literally. To prevent bent spaghetti from splintering into a half dozen pieces, the researchers wrote, one end of the pasta first has to be twisted nearly 360 degrees.

So, why is the twist so important? According to the new study, the twist"enables the rod to store its energy in more than one mode." Consider that, when an untwisted rod first fractures, each half catapults backward in a burst of kinetic energy. A 2005 study found that this snap-back unleashes a wave of energy so powerful that it causes other stressed sections of the noodle to snap off as well. (That study won a 2006 Ig Nobel Prize, an annual parody award given to "improbable research.") This behaviour is not exclusive to noodles, mind you, but is visible in many thin, rod-like structures — including Olympic vaulting poles. In a twisted noodle, however, much of that snap-back wave is transferred into a "twist wave" propagated through the noodle's uncoiling, the MIT researchers wrote. The force of the snap-back is therefore weakened, and less likely to result in any more fractures occurring. "Once [the noodle] breaks, you still have a snap-back because the rod wants to be straight," Dunkel said. "But it also doesn’t want to be twisted.

From here.

www.livescience.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 04:29 AM
link   
this has to be a joke, right? Did I go through a time warp to April 1st? Is this news b/c a robot did it, or because their spagatti was breaking into more than one piece. Been breaking spag since I was about 7-8 years old to fit in the pan to cook. Not really a breakthrough here. Amazing what they spend time and $ on.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Or you could just cook it and cut it in half with a fork.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: blackcrowe

Your thoughts on this are ?

Personally I'm stunned that they've been able to achieve this , my own experiences in the kitchen taught me it was impossible but I'm not a physicist so what do I know.

Congratulations to the team.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Your thoughts on this are ?

I like the science.

Putting a twist in a brittle rod to create a different way the energy moves.

It might have other benefits in other rod like structures. As mentioned.

If Feynman was willing to spend time on it. Then, maybe he could see benefits. Not in halving a piece of spaghetti. But the flow of energy.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Or you could just cook it and cut it in half with a fork.

If it was really an issue.The logical thing to do would be. Make spaghetti half the length to begin with.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Amazing what they spend time and $ on.

That's science. Takes time and $ to learn things.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 05:07 AM
link   

I don't know how many nights this very thought has kept me awake. Now, maybe I can get some sleep.
But I do have an idea they can work on: Why is it when a windshield wiper goes bad, why is it always on the drivers side?

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 05:13 AM
link   

I call this study BS everyone knows you can’t twist a dry rod of spaghetti 360 degrees without it snapping past 45 degrees

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Chance321

Just to piss them off.

That's science.

I'm sure the drivers blade is the longest. So it wears faster. (I think).

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

If you read the link. It later says the twist was at least 250 degrees.

Which is still a lot of twist.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 05:27 AM
link   

For one thing you aren't supposed to break spaghetti in half any Italian knows that...
but, I break spaghetti in half all the time for my grand kids and NEVER had it shatter into pieces it breaks right in half every time. I haven't a clue what the heck they are talking about but its okay I am in my own little world and I like it here.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: starlitestarbrite

For one thing you aren't supposed to break spaghetti in half any Italian knows that...

Perhaps there are no Italians working at MIT.

They would be very angry about it.

"Why you breaka my spaghetti"

but, I break spaghetti in half all the time for my grand kids and NEVER had it shatter into pieces it breaks right in half every time.

but its okay I am in my own little world and I like it here.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   

This is exactly the type of hard hitting science I like to see being conducted.

We need to get these answers to the universe's riddles. It's 2018 and not knowing makes us less as a species.

Next up - Can you turn a hoe into a housewife?

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I am pretty sure automotive drive shafts are pretwisted steel so they wont shatter. so this science does have merit.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

It will all come down to maths in the end. And it's another piece of the puzzle.

No. She'll always be a hoe.

I think housewives can become hoe's.

You're probably better off with a dog or cat.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

I don't know if that's true.

But if so. It's interesting.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chance321

I don't know how many nights this very thought has kept me awake. Now, maybe I can get some sleep.
But I do have an idea they can work on: Why is it when a windshield wiper goes bad, why is it always on the drivers side?

Ummm...an even better question...when that drivers side wiper blade refuses to perform it's primary function adequately...

Why is that failure always in the Murphy zone...right there in front of your line of sight...no matter your seat height or torso length...it's always right there where you need to see the most...

That's why I dub it..."The Murphy zone"...

YouSir

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: starlitestarbrite

but, I break spaghetti in half all the time for my grand kids and NEVER had it shatter into pieces it breaks right in half every time. I haven't a clue what the heck they are talking about but its okay I am in my own little world and I like it here.

I didn't read the article but I assume that they are talking about microscopic pieces shattering off at the break. Which obviously would happen.

So if you break a piece in half with your hand I'd assume that the 2 pieces don't equal the same amount of mass that the intact piece had due to the lost pieces.

There's real world applications for this I would think.
edit on 18-8-2018 by RMFX1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

You can take the housewife outta' da ho,

but you can't take the ho outta da housewife.

...or another way...

You can take the housewife outta' da hood,

but you can't take da hood outta da housewife.

edit on 8/18/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join