It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$500 million lottery ticket claimed anonymously - how is this possible?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Edumakated

I know what inflation is.

I also know what the market did in 2008.

We always plan to take the lump sum, and when we look at jackpot numbers posted in windows, we just cut them in half and figure on that being more like our actual prize.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

That's why your first moves should always be to get a lawyer and financial adviser you can trust before you do anything else, even claim the prize. Their job is to steer you in the right direction and keep you from making disastrous mistakes.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Its what I would do, first call would be to fidelity, about how I can set things up so my name does not get released. Jeebus that much money would bring a ton of people begging for money.

If you don't claim the money through a trust you are begging to be stalked robbed and or murdered.

eta: odds are it took that long lining up the people and the paperwork to set it up and make certain the winner's identity was secure.
edit on 18-8-2018 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
If I ever won the lottery, I'd claim it with a trust to maintain privacy as well. Only a total moron goes public in the modern era.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

First rule of being an evil one percenter.

NEVER LEAVE MONEY ON THE TABLE.

Scale up according to jackpot size.

www.usamega.com...

www.usamega.com...
edit on 18-8-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
a reply to: pavil

Yeah, suddenly people you´ve not seen for decades turn up and think they are entitled to your "help" (=money).

Because you know them and since they told you how bad they are doing, they expect you to help them out, or you´re the devil in person.

Like this:
"I need money for a new swingset for my kids and since you are rich, I thought you might make them a little present"
"no"
"why do you hate my kids?"

Yeah, we figure they'll get help, but it'll be on our terms and in ways they can't spoil very easily if possible some kind of fund that gives an annuity but that they can't cash out for a lump sum, so they'll always get something, but only in measured amounts.

Unfortunately, we know some of our relatives only too well.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I don't care as much about being an evil 1% as I do about being financially stable and having what I need for my son to get a good start in life. I also want to help those who have meant a lot to us in our life, and then? I want to give money away where I see a need.

I don't need a lot. I don't even need or want a big house.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

$1 million net per year for the rest of your life without worrying about market crashes, or Maddoff's would be peace of mind.

And do what you want to.

Ultimately it's up to the winner to decide.

Lots of articles about lottery winners going broke after winning.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
If I won a lottery I would sure would like to claim it anonymously.

Otherwise you're going to have every crackpot in the nation calling you, begging for money or trying to sell you something.

There was a story in the news where a car dealer showed up on the doorstep of a person and wanted to sell him a new Jag. The person could not get the dealer to leave and ended up calling the cops. Turns out he had the same name as a lottery winner.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Honestly, when we buy a ticket, we do it less in the hopes of winning the big jackpots. A smaller payout like $1 million (even cut in half for taxes) would make a drastic change in our lives and future plans.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Honestly, when we buy a ticket, we do it less in the hopes of winning the big jackpots. A smaller payout like $1 million (even cut in half for taxes) would make a drastic change in our lives and future plans.

Us, too. We don't play often, but when we do, it's in the hopes that it's at least a few hundred or a few grand. Enough to either dent a little or wipe out the medical debt balance.

The jackpot would be nice, there's a lot of charities we'd like to give that much to, but we'd certainly be grateful for even a small prize.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I usually only play when it gets around $100 million. However, wife and I joke that we are cheap and it wouldn't take much to set us up for life. I figure I only need a couple of million (heck, $500k would do wonders) to kind live out my fantasies.

The thing is the odds are the same regardless.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
for a lottery winner there are a number of people,e out there that will try to rip them off and then there is a chance someone will kidnap a winner and ask for a large amount of the winning for there release.

If i won the lottery i would have to move to AZ where i could carry a weapon for self defense .

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED
for a lottery winner there are a number of people,e out there that will try to rip them off and then there is a chance someone will kidnap a winner and ask for a large amount of the winning for there release.

If i won the lottery i would have to move to AZ where i could carry a weapon for self defense .

Yes, you'd have to or come to Japan and open up a business.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Edumakated

Take the full payout ?

OF that $500 million the cash option is half of it which leaves $250,000,000

Then 'conservative' cut that in half for state,and federal taxes.

As opposed to a guaranteed multi million dollar payout for the next three decades.

You are ignoring the opportunity to invest the lump sum at a rate much higher than the lottery pays. Let's use your example of a 500 million payout. If you opt for the lump sum, you get 250 million today. Fed taxes will take 25%, so that leaves you with 190 million. I live in Florida and there is no state income tax, so you get the whole 190. You can buy a whole life annuity that pays out for your whole life and not just 30 years. If you are 30 years old, the monthly payment will be right at 640,000 per month, after taxes. That is 7.7 million per year for life, not just 30 years. Now you might think that the lottery pays out in equal payments of 1/30th ofthe total per year. No, it staggers the payments so that each years is slightly higher. 1/30th of the 500 would be 16.7 million. In actuality it takes 14 to 16 years to reach that amount. The initial payment would be right at 8 million, and all of that is taxable, so you net 6 before any state taxes. So, you lose 2 million the first year by taking the lottery's long term payout. A really good analsis for each state is at www.usamega.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

I'd do that. Just for no other reason than not having media vultures following me around, looking in to my financial, social and other personal history or camped outside my door. Not to mention the parade of charlatans showing up with pathetic pictures they scrapped off the internet wanting money for poor little Suzy to have an operation, home or three meals a day and clean water.

And has it been mentioned, family you didn't know about and / or have not seen or heard from in decades start showing up for handouts.

My thinking right now on the hypothetical of a win with mandatory disclosure and all the problems mentioned above, is I might not claim it.

edit on 8/18/2018 by Bramble Iceshimmer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Bramble Iceshimmer

there was a guy in calif...there was video of him going in several times and checking his ticket in the little machine...they were trying to figure out who he was and for him to claim his ticket and they ran an article in the paper about it

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
A friend won 3 mill in our small town and his life was Hell. Had to pull the kids from school and move. My last name was next to his in the phone book and we kept getting calls. His sister and brother in law rented from me and they were harassed. My parents his parents just because our names were a couple of letters different. Took about a year to calm down. He got about 100k a year for 20 years. Worked out well for him. Had a good investment guy.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join