It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Voters Reject Anti-Union right-to-work law

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I am shocked this wasn't posted on there, though I shouldn't be. Another sign of voter dissatisfaction with current politics and possible proof of the "Blue Wave", Missouri voters rejected an anti-union bill that would have hurt union fundraising. I believe Americans are waking up to the fact that unions help all Americans, not just people in union jobs.

www.vox.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Proposition A, which would have made it illegal for unions to charge fees to workers they represent who don’t want to pay them,

Hmmm.. Seems like Proposition A would have been better for the workers.

(post by Lumenari removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

Proposition A, which would have made it illegal for unions to charge fees to workers they represent who don’t want to pay them,

Stop it!!!!

You wander in here and turn a possible left circle-jerk into an actual discussion about facts.

Thread Killer!!!!

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
I am shocked this wasn't posted on there, though I shouldn't be. Another sign of voter dissatisfaction with current politics and possible proof of the "Blue Wave", Missouri voters rejected an anti-union bill that would have hurt union fundraising. I believe Americans are waking up to the fact that unions help all Americans, not just people in union jobs.

www.vox.com...

Yes , by all means keep those Union dues flowing to the Democratic Party
They need all they can get.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Thread Killer!!!!

Sorry. It's what I do. I was taught early on about Thread hunting. Once you get a thread in your sights the adrenaline takes over. Take a deep breadth, let it out to slow the heart rate and when you reach the end of that breadth, push enter gently. Don't stab at it. You might miss.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   

It failed because it included public sector unions.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

It failed because it included public sector unions.

When those public sector pension plans go bankrupt they will be squealing like piggies.
Illinois is my bet to go first.

But you're right, public sector votes beet this one.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I thought the left abandoned all but the NEA and the SEIU....

Seems sad that they would have the nerve to try and reconnect with the labor unions they kicked to the curb?

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Last I saw legislation was in the works requiring cities to fully fund pensions / benefits they agreed to. Failure to do so requires the state to withhold sales taxes due and requires that to go into the pension program until its fully funded. That is courtesy of St. Louis and Springfield screwing their police departments over and then going back on their word to the Missouri Congress when they begged them not to pass the law with the promise they would fund the programs.

I think, if I remember right, there is a lawsuit or few on hold for right now on that topic however I would need to look back into to get up to date info.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

From the link,

Economists have been closely studying the economic impact, and none have found any evidence to back up the claim that right-to-work laws boost the economy. At best, the laws slightly increase the number of businesses in the state, but they don’t really benefit workers. At worst, these laws lower average wages for all workers after they are passed. The latter is the most likely outcome, based on the research.
One study conducted by economist Lonnie Stevans at Hofstra University in 2007 found that right-to-work laws did lead to an increase in the number of businesses, but those economic gains mostly went to business owners. Meanwhile, average wages for workers went down.

There is a reason big business pumps so much money into the RTW scene, it isn't about saving tax dollars. Each and every single governor and politician has some kind of personal interest in some business that would benefit from right to work. Whether it is from political donations or personal gains.

There is also a reason why unions do the same. Unions represent workers. Why in the world would any worker in this country want to vote for the ability of a business to pay less in wages and benefits, and strip what little worker rights we have?

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I don’t agree with paying dues to an organization that’s doesn’t represent me or my values. Union dues are basically an extra tax that supports Democrats and their failed agenda.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I live in Saint Louis and there was a massive movement to get this Proposition A repealed. There were ton loads of ads and also plenty of yard signs. This was a massive effort. There were no ads run in support and I never saw a yard sign in support. I would not equate this victory result with future endeavors. There was really no opposition to this repeal campaign.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   

And the last plant wide vote to unioninze at Boeing in SC was rejected, so the union went shopping for a "micro union" because most people don't want it. More evidence of a Red Tsunami?

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

I am interested in how they compared those wages. Are they compared against cost of living adjustment? I moved from MA to a RTW state and my wage is far lower in the RTW state .. and yet after a cost of living adjustment is made I make way more. I have lived in both, and would choose the RTW state any day of the week.
edit on 18-8-2018 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: CB328

www.vox.com...

Yes , by all means keep those Union dues flowing to the Democratic Party
They need all they can get.

Who they then sell out to their Open Border obsessionism. This whole scene that is supposed to be theirs truly is the epitome of "Liberal Pretzel Logic".

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:02 AM
link   

possible proof of the "Blue Wave"

It is inherently illogical to raise one's hopes in national election results by over-analyzing local issues.

The only blue wave I am seeing evidence of is the one when I flush my toilet. The only red wave is off the shore of Florida. No matter what happens in November, the best the Democratic Party can hope for is the ability to stall progress in the government... and that will turn around and bite them in 2020, hard. The best the Republican party can hope for is to improve their majority in the Senate and make more progress.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I don’t agree with paying dues to an organization that’s doesn’t represent me or my values. Union dues are basically an extra tax that supports Democrats and their failed agenda.

So you don't join a union then right? See how easy that is and you didn't even need a law to tell you that.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Great Thread, I was born and raised in Missouri, and spent most of my adult life working in the state. My dad was a union man through and through, and as a kid I never understood it. It also upset me a lot that union dues were mandatory at several jobs I worked at in my young adult life. That was money I earned, and needed to survive. It wasn't until I moved to a work-at-will state (Florida) that I realized the difference, and why unions can be a good thing.

In Missouri, if you worked a union job, 1) wages were higher, 2) if there was an issue that you couldn't resolve yourself, there was always your union rep. you could go to, they would mediate until the situation was solved, 3) a unionized group can give you better working conditions, more usable income, and prevent unsubstantiated firings. 4) Cost of living raises are a normal part of the pay plan. 5) union oversight of retirement plans.

In Florida, where I am now, it is a work-at-will state, there are few if any unions. Here is what I have found in the last several years. 1) wages are lower, while the cost of living is higher, 2) raises are few and far between, even cost of living raises, 2) You have no one to go to if working conditions are dangerous, or bad, except for your supervisor who many times fostered those situations in an attempt to make higher profits, 3) You can be fired for ANY reason, and they aren't required to tell you why, 4) No mandatory cost of living wages. 5) No retirement plans.

Having worked in both situations, I can tell you, after being in Florida for a few years, my spouse and I are preparing to return to Missouri, mostly because of working conditions, wages rates, and the general all around better situation for the worker in Missouri.

I now understand why my Dad was so pro union, and I'd happily give a portion of my paycheck to the union to make conditions better in my work situation. But, in Florida there's no unions to pay to help regulate the companies we work for, thus wages are low compared to the cost of living, there is no safety oversight, and no bargaining ability, and no one to mediate situations with workers.
I can understand why the law didn't pass in Missouri

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Thank god!!!!

That’s been a major reason big buisness has run rough shod over the American labor force..

The GOP helped them assassinate the unions...

All to defund their political opponents.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join