It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel - Black and Hispanic Neighborhoods Lack Morals and Values.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It's poverty.

Poverty causes desperation which causes crime. Poverty causes depression and hopelessness which causes drug addiction and alcoholism. Poverty causes small businesses to go out of business, because there is no business. Poverty puts stress on safety nets causing people to fall through the cracks and not get the assistance it needs.

With all of that you get gangs sprout up, crime rises, schools start to fail and deteriorate, communities and social interaction disintegrates.

What's the cure? It's not JUST money, but it's an approach that targets schools, community centers, police involvment, community groups, big businesses, small businesses, street and infrastructure improvements. And that's actually easier than you think, there have been various succesful programs and projects all over the united states and the world, you just need to copy them.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Edumakated

People need to stop fearing criminals and gangsters.

Thats why we have a 2nd amendment. Scared? Carry a gun.

If the good people of those communities decided they had had enough of the gangsters ans leave or fight back the culture will change. I cant imagine theres many left who would live under those circumstances.

Geniuses like Rahm enact policies that effectively price poor people in high-crime neighborhoods from being able to own a gun.

Unless of course they get them from illegal means. So as usual, in these liberal utopias, only the criminals have guns.
edit on 18 8 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I would NEVER invest in a comnunity I cant go to without fear of getting shot

I wouldn't hire someone from that community. To risky.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Yup. In which case every decent human should leave.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

That doesn't make any sense. LOL

Let's say you lived in Chicago. Violence spills out of said communities and effects the whole city. If you ignore that community you bring harm to yourself. It's like cancer. You get cancer in your arm, you don't ignore it because it's only your arm, you invest in a treatment for that arm so that the rest of your body doesn't get effected.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

People need to stop fearing criminals and gangsters.

Thats why we have a 2nd amendment. Scared? Carry a gun.

If the good people of those communities decided they had had enough of the gangsters ans leave or fight back the culture will change. I cant imagine theres many left who would live under those circumstances.

Geniuses like Rahm enact policies that effectively price poor people in high-crime neighborhoods from being able to own a gun.

Unless of course they get them from illegal means. So as usual, in these liberal utopias, only the criminals have guns.

But it's not just a liberal problem. Seattle and San Francisco and New York city are liberal cities but don't have the violence and poverty problems that Chicago has. There's something else going on there.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
So now individual responsibility is coming into play here? Now we are getting down to the actual issue, what exactly are morals and what develops them. Lets say for some odd reason we somehow enforce a family structure with two parents where children are concerned. What happens if the parents hold the wrong values and impart them onto their offspring? That doesn't really correct the situation.

Maybe we need to find out what morals are and how to define them. Then we can explore the formation of morals. I bet it will take decades to even agree on a standard definition if even then. Is religion the answer? Couldn't the formation of morals be independent of religion?

Was it so much better in the past where morals were a requirement of a society? That if you didn't follow the norms of society, you would be ostracized. That doesn't sound like the individual themselves were adopting morals because it was simply the right thing to do, but because if they wanted to live in a community and gain employment, they would have to follow the herd.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

a reply to: face23785

Yup. In which case every decent human should leave.

Which also costs money they don't have.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Glad to see Rahm getting tough. The breakdown of morals - which does NOT exclusively apply to minority communities - is absolutely the cause of our troubles. At least the bulk of them.

People have political disagreements all the time. But in our country (and around the world), it is the breakdown of ethics and morality that has made violence and harassment appear viable to some. In Chicago and other cities, it has become a way of life to some people.

Not a big Rahm fan here, but his statement has a lot of truth. Faith and community are very important things. But one doesn't need faith to be moral or ethical. Although I am a Christian man myself, I respect those who are not and believe they are still capable of being "moral" individuals. Whether it is solving Chicago's gang violence problem or healing the great American political divide, we all benefit from a moral society.
edit on 8/18/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

What you need in Chicago is
1 better response times for police in high crime areas .less use of bait trucks of sneakers and less pd at oh are working as thugs for airlines let them pay for private security or use fed tsa officers there.

2 drain the swamp and get rid of all the corruption in the pd and city government so cops will do their jobs

3 do away with hand gun law in city and allow open carry with background check. Reason criminals are going crazy there is because of slow response times of cops and no fear of citizens fighting back..

4 put cops on foot patrol in high crime areas and institute neighborhood watch and crime stoppers tip line with rewards for info leading to arrest.
5 stop sanctuary city nonsense and let ice deport illegals specifically the ones involved in drug trade

6 start ministering to needs of the youth after school programs basketball camps and the like

7 offer vocational training for all who want it .

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   

His words mean nothing unless followed by action. He has a job, maybe he should try doing it.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

The big brick wall every analyst of this runs into is, HOW do you restore normal human morals, values, decency to people who lack them?

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

Excellent analysis AND suggestions!

#4 and #6 are already implemented. #7 (Vocational Training) is part of President Trump's Welfare Reform executive order, issued a few months ago.

The Chicago Urban League has a Vocational Training program too.
www.thechicagourbanleague.org...

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I’m not sure if I’ve missed d it in your meaty posts, and while I don’t know if i agree with everything youve got to say, you make interesting points.

I guess my question is do you factor in the hefty amount of incarceration against young black men in America in your views?

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: JBurns

The big brick wall every analyst of this runs into is, HOW do you restore normal human morals, values, decency to people who lack them?

Really wish I had the answer to that one, carewemust

Makes it even harder when mass media, Internet and popular culture all champion the divide and in some cases further it through provocation

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33

1 better response times for police in high crime areas .less use of bait trucks of sneakers and less pd at oh are working as thugs for airlines let them pay for private security or use fed tsa officers there.

2 drain the swamp and get rid of all the corruption in the pd and city government so cops will do their jobs

3 do away with hand gun law in city and allow open carry with background check. Reason criminals are going crazy there is because of slow response times of cops and no fear of citizens fighting back..

4 put cops on foot patrol in high crime areas and institute neighborhood watch and crime stoppers tip line with rewards for info leading to arrest.
5 stop sanctuary city nonsense and let ice deport illegals specifically the ones involved in drug trade

6 start ministering to needs of the youth after school programs basketball camps and the like

Sounds like a workable solution

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

First, how would you define morals?

Maybe something along the lines of not interfering with another person's free will. Not taking advantage of another person's ignorance (or is that allowed)? Will it be simple physical rules or will it include spiritual? Is there a forced responsibility to help others in any situation? Or could it be to allow others the full experience of their own mistakes so they learn?

What about welfare. Does indiscriminate welfare actually hurt people? Maybe giving money is wrong and only food and shelter should be allowed in communal facilities to encourage those people to become self sufficient. What about the disabled, should opportunities be created specifically for these people to contribute, even if it is just to themselves?

Maybe if we could define morals simplistically that the majority of us can agree on, then we can figure out the cause of the absence of them in the first place or how to encourage them.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Those who are gainfully employed, and get shot just walking down one of those streets, cause the employer's insurance costs to rise.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

It might be smart to look at low violent-crime areas, and emulate them. No need to reinvent the wheel. I live only 7 miles from the border of Chicago, but our community has very few shootings. (Drugs...but that's for another thread)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33

1) Every time the police bust heads on the street corners, the arm chair quarterbacks and community activist come out of the woodwork complaining about police brutality. They can't have it both ways...

2) Agree, but good luck with that in Chicago.

3) Agree, but that has no bearing on the day to day gun violence in Chicago. Most of the people shot and doing the shooting are thugs / gang members. Your typical non-thug (especially if you don't live in one of the rough areas) has next to no chance of being involved in a random shooting. I support gun rights, but it is a false premise that gun right has anything to do with the gun violence in Chicago.

4) They do this... but again see number 1. Not too mention the "no snitching" code. Less than 25% of murders in Chicago are solved.

5) Agree

6) Agree. This is done if you want it.

7) Agree. Need to give up this fantasy that every kid needs to go to college. Focus on getting the kids that want to learn some real skills/trade.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join