It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge in Manafort trial says he's been threatened over case

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Ye, 'cause when Ellis said, "the marshalls...", I must have missed the part about the motorcade that's protecting him from all those threatening hate crime car attacks us conservatives do daily 🙄

Nice broad stroke my cat fish noodling friend 😌

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: Arnie123
hey manafort is sitting in a jail cell because he was supposedly tampering with witnesses...
why is it a stretch to think that he might have some buddies threatening the judge... or jury for that matter??

It's not and could very well be.

What part of "OPINION" do you NOT understand?

Jesus, reading comprehension.
edit on 17-8-2018 by Arnie123 because: Truth hurts.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I missed the part about him saying anything about the source of the threats.
Thus my sarcastic reply to good 'ol DB.
edit on 8/17/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I could say that about you as well Lumen, I see your hissy fits quite often on here. But this is beside the point.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron
Here's a question for you guys that you ALL seem to be missing:

The President's friend and campaign manager is on trial and will most likely get life in prison.

Who would have an issue with that and be making threats? The alt-left or the alt-right?

If the judge is getting threatened, I'd say it's likely coming from the left, considering the judge has been criticized for being too harsh on the prosecutors.

ETA: That's likely to get worse after today, since the judge denied the media the right to know the jurors names. The narrative tonight will be that the judge is a Trump stooge who doesn't believe in freedom of the press.
edit on 17 8 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

this whole thread is just opinion for the most part, at least when it comes to speculating just who is doing the threatening..
none of know enough details to actually know anything.
so you have yours, I have mine...
in that it is very well possible that he is getting threats from both sides of the aisle!!!

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

or... maybe it's the threats that convinced the judge to be harsh??

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

or... maybe it's the threats that convinced the judge to be harsh??

Could be. Considering he has US Marshall protection though, I consider my scenario more likely.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

The President's friend and campaign manager is on trial and will most likely get life in prison.

Who would have an issue with that and be making threats? The alt-left or the alt-right?

If the judge is getting threatened, I'd say it's likely coming from the left, considering the judge has been criticized for being too harsh on the prosecutors.

ETA: That's likely to get worse after today, since the judge denied the media the right to know the jurors names. The narrative tonight will be that the judge is a Trump stooge who doesn't believe in freedom of the press.

And that will be wrong as well, because if we look at the facts we know that it had nothing to do with the right spin or the left spin -- it was to protect the jurors, plain and simple.

And the judge has not been too harsh, the judge is a diva and he likes acting and being the best in the room at everything, but he has been a fair judge. He acted tough on the prosecutors and that made the media, but he also said the next day that he went overboard and instructed the jury to disregard his words. He also joked that judges should be patient and they made a mistake when they made him one, as he is not.

But beside that outburst that he basically apologized for, he has been fair.

Anyway, he is not one passing sentence, the jury is. This jury is passing judgment on the President's ally and friend. The threats are about the jury, not him. He is making the right decision in this, regardless of who puts spin on it after the fact.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Considering he has US Marshall protection though, I consider my scenario more likely.
Why? Because supporters of Manafort are nice guys?

We have no idea when the threats were made, or by whom. Right?

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Naw, just speculation on the who with friendly jabs 🤗

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Disgusting to see this kind of behavior, from anyone. And it isn't just limited to this case, almost any time something hits national news *someone* gets death threats or harassed by some angry degenerates

This time it is likely coming from the left, but there are plenty of other instances where those roles were reversed. There is no good reason to terrorize somebody for doing their job or just going about their day to day life or someone lawfully expressing their point of view

It is sad to see these sorry state of affairs

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   
www.newsweek.com... news weeks opinion on what the odds are of aquittal vs conviction and weather trump will pardon him or not

Oddsmakers peg the likelihood that Manafort will be convicted this year at -350, or 2/7, very poor odds. The main caveat of the prop bet is the time frame, because even if the Virginia federal jury opts to acquit Manafort, he still faces another trial by Mueller’s team in Washington D.C. later this fall.
so there are the odds according to news week on his chances

Should Manafort be convicted in Virginia or Washington, or both, he’s unlikely to receive a pardon from Trump. At least this year. The odds Trump does issue a pardon for Manafort are president -500, or 1/5, and it likely has to do with the assumed political fallout. Democratic Congressman Ted Lieu of California suggested Thursday that a Trump pardon of Manafort would be grounds for impeachment, and encouraged voters to turn out for the fall midterms in order to curb the president’s power.
here are odds on the pardon, which i dont think even if he was going to pardon him he would do tell after the midterms if not much much later

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

ya, they're such friendly people!!!

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I think it's fairly safe to say if the judge is getting threatened, then it's likely that the jury will be, as well.

I'm very curious as to the source of these threats...and how many cut outs were used.
edit on 8/17/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

Odd. They don't even consider a mistrial due to a hung jury? I would give that the best odds, certainly better than an acquittal.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Considering he has US Marshall protection though, I consider my scenario more likely.
Why? Because supporters of Manafort are nice guys?

We have no idea when the threats were made, or by whom. Right?

I certainly make no claims to know for sure.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

And that will be wrong as well, because if we look at the facts we know that it had nothing to do with the right spin or the left spin -- it was to protect the jurors, plain and simple.

And the judge has not been too harsh, the judge is a diva and he likes acting and being the best in the room at everything, but he has been a fair judge. He acted tough on the prosecutors and that made the media, but he also said the next day that he went overboard and instructed the jury to disregard his words. He also joked that judges should be patient and they made a mistake when they made him one, as he is not.

Anyway, he is not one passing sentence, the jury is. This jury is passing judgment on the President's ally and friend. The threats are about the jury, not him. He is making the right decision in this, regardless of who puts spin on it after the fact.

He made direct reference to his protection right after he said "there's been threats". Sounds like he's talking about threats against him there. You may not think his actions against the prosecutor were that bad, but not everyone thinks like you. Last year we had a deranged leftist think changing a law was so bad he had to try to murder congressmen. The media drives these people into a frenzy every night, left and right.
edit on 17 8 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

He made direct reference to his protection right after he said "there's been threats". Sounds like he's talking about threats against him there. You may not think his actions against the prosecutor were that bad, but not everyone thinks like you. Last year we had a deranged leftist think changing a law was so bad he had to try to murder congressmen. The media drives these people into a frenzy every night, left and right.

I see two options:

a) As a federal judge, he is in on the information on who made the threats, and he feels those same people may threaten the jury. I don't see any reason for the left to threaten the jury here -- the evidence and the testimony is overwhelming, all they need to do is leave the jury alone. Whoever made the threats to the judge would make the threats to the jury.

b) No one knows who made the threats, and he still made the right decision in protecting the jury.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

A slightly more complete set of quotes here. Somewhat ambiguous though.

The federal judge overseeing the Paul Manafort fraud trial signaled Friday afternoon a reluctance to publicly identify the jurors, saying they were “scared” and “afraid” and adding, “I’m not going to reveal any threats.”

“I had no idea this case would incite this emotion,” U.S. District Court Judge T.S. Ellis III said in an open court hearing, responding to a motion from seven news organizations, including POLITICO, seeking access to sealed materials related to the trial.

www.politico.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join