It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge in Manafort trial says he's been threatened over case

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Here's a question for you guys that you ALL seem to be missing:

The President's friend and campaign manager is on trial and will most likely get life in prison.

Who would have an issue with that and be making threats? The alt-left or the alt-right?

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

You expect the OP to have integrity? You should know by now that this particular OP spins things in one way and only one way regardless of the facts. He/she was probably hoping no one would read too far into the quote.
edit on 8/17/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

CNN wants to get to the jurors the same way they tried to get to the Electoral College delegates after Trump won.

On a related note, once manafort is found guilty that will set a good precedent for getting Hillary and all of the other criminals found guilty when they are indicted.
edit on 8/17/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Exactly what I was thinking. You're doing a great job xue, you deserve a raise for all the hard work you put in around here. Integrity and morality be damned, that paycheck is what matters.

edit on 8/17/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

You can write all the long winded responses you want.

It won't matter.

💥😃💥

Holy shnikes!

I got two lines of response out of you! And an emoji, of course.

Usually you run away so you can run another day, but this is truly an honor. Thank you, even though it had nothing to do with your own topic.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

The President's friend and campaign manager is on trial and will most likely get life in prison.

Who would have an issue with that and be making threats? The alt-left or the alt-right?

It's probably those crafty Underwear Gnomes again.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: StallionDuck

And the assumption is the threats came from whom? The media?

Whoever. I didn't even get to the 'who' of it when I made my choice. I learned that after. If it was Trump himself making the threats, I'd say put his ass in jail. I'm just sick of our judicial system being hijacked by self righteous pee holes. From a local level all the way up to the pizza level. I've said it strongly a good handful of times before.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

You expect the OP to have integrity? You should know by now that this particular OP spins things in one way and only one way regardless of the facts. He/she was probably hoping no one would read too far into the quote.

So how about countering the op with your facts?

Where is your integrity, 3NLIGHT3N3D1?

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

The President's friend and campaign manager is on trial and will most likely get life in prison. Who would have an issue with that and be making threats? The alt-left or the alt-right?

Considering that comment of prejudgment.

ALT-LEFT.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Muninn

Pretty sure it was already done by Kharron. Second or third response in the thread I believe.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
there's been some accusations that the judge has been biased in this case.. and some of the media is probably responsible for that. I don't believe he is, by what I've read, he's kind of like that with everyone. and most lawyers, if they will take his criticisms and such in stride can learn alot from him. this might be why he's been getting threats.
then again, they could, i guess be coming from the supporters of manifort, trying to coerce him into being bias against the prosecution, who knows.
I am glad though that he is refusing to reveal the names of the jurors. it does seem to be a reasonable thing to do in today's political climate.

heck wouldn't surprise me if he was getting them from both sides really.
edit on 17-8-2018 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

i didn't see any source saying the threats came from the media just that he had received threats ,now if the names of the jurors had been released it could lead to them also getting threats or their families i think that's where the media getting brought into it came from not that the media was sending threats themselves

thehill.com... just like the jury names the judge is not going to release details of who or whom have been sending him threats ,i would assume that is to make it easier for the justice department to arrest those making said threats

edit to add just finished reading through i guess some people are saying it was the media,not something i subscribe to but felt i should be at least honest in my postings now that i have read the whole thread . . from what we have seen of the judge if it HAD been the media sending threats he seems like the kind of person that would be putting it on blast so id go with fringe elements of society making threats relying on anonymity to try to threaten a sitting judge
edit on 17-8-2018 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

I agree with your assessment. It is not unusual for names of jurors to be requested but, if the judge has received threats (from whomever), it would indeed be prudent to deny those requests at this time.

Both the First Amendment and common law provide valid arguments for members of the news media who seek to promote the right of access to juror names and addresses. When arguing the First Amendment, it is imperative that members of the news media stress the nation’s long tradition of access to juror names and addresses. Equally important is stressing the soundness behind affording such access. The opinions addressed above and others provide members of the news media with many valid arguments for why the right of access to juror names should be afforded.

www.rcfp.org...
edit on 8/17/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

the judge had been a bit hard on the prosecution it seems but i would not say that exactly implies bias
www.usatoday.com...

Judge chastising prosecutors Ellis was picking on prosecutors and their strategy before the trial even started. "You don’t really care about Mr. Manafort’s bank fraud," Ellis said during a May pretrial hearing. "What you really care about is what information Mr. Manafort could give you that would reflect on Mr. Trump or lead to his prosecution or impeachment. …The vernacular is to 'sing.'" Ellis is known for having complete control over his courtroom while also bringing a sense of wry humor to the bench, even in the most serious of deliberations. He's worked to maintain fairness for both prosecutors and Manafort's attorneys but several interactions in front of jurors could have left a lasting impact. Jurors tend to view both prosecutors and the defense as partisan. Both sides are trying to convince you to believe their way. A judge is viewed as fair and viewing the situation from both sides so that's where many jurors place their trust. Could Ellis' comments stick with jurors and affect their decision? Ellis interrupted prosecutors multiple times during their questioning and even accused lead prosecutors Greg Andres of crying after being yelled at in the courtroom.
so if anything it shows he has a strict adherence to decorum and tends to not tolerate shenanigans in his court but i dont see it showing as any clear bias

www.washingtonpost.com... y.html?utm_term=.09fb66f92f9a Washington post seems to imply hes being biased but i don't exactly see it that way but this opinion writer seems to think so feel free to read the link and come to your own conclusions ,if anything it shows that judges are like us humans and occasionally get frustrated and as he is aware of many more details in the investigation then we are he may be privy to information we the public do not have

nymag.com...

U.S. Senior District Judge T.S. Ellis is among a handful of judges in the country who know some of the deepest secrets of the Russia investigation. When lawyers for Paul Manafort asked him, unsuccessfully, to dismiss a slew of charges against their client accusing him of tax evasion and bank fraud, Ellis asked the office of special counsel Robert Mueller to hand over, without any redactions, an otherwise highly classified memorandum containing the scope of his authority to investigate Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman and other crimes. More than anything, Ellis seemed to want to make sure Mueller wasn’t some loose cannon, going above and beyond his mandate as special counsel. Even then, he gave the government some time to produce the memorandum, mindful that other parts of the executive branch might have objections. “I think it’s perfectly appropriate for you to consult with other parts of the government, particularly intelligence agencies. If they feel some of it is classified, I’m prepared to look at it ex parte under seal,” Ellis said at the May hearing, meaning he’d let Mueller’s team submit the memo without letting Manafort’s side or the public get a look at it. Highly sensitive trials and government secrets, he added, are nothing new to him.
so again we await the verdict

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

and to think of the pressure he is under in this as well as the jurors as this trial isnt just about manfort any more but seems to be treated by the public as a sign of how effective the muller investigation will be or if it will be stopped and or curtailed on results of this case , i am sure the judge isnt so much worried about having marshal's around him but i doubt the jury would like to have to have similar protections interfere with their lives after this with how divisive the nation has been lately,id imagine the jurors just want to get back to their lives and put this all behind them

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
If the judge felt the jury was under threat, why would he not sequester them? "Have a nice weekend! Good luck!"

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: crtrvt

If the judge felt the jury was under threat,

He doesn't.

The public does not know who they are, and apparently none of them have received any threats. Releasing their names could change that. So he won't do so.

edit on 8/17/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Tis the conservative way, that’s why. Believe lies, spread lies if it can support your side.
edit on 17-8-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

The jury was not sequestered. They have been coming and going for the duration of the trial. Today they were observed during smoke breaks as well as spotted at a local cafe for lunch.

It's not automatic to provide names and information on juries but not unprecedented either. The jurors names in Bill Cosbys trial were released, and the names of jurors in the Casey Anthony trial were released.

I don't believe they should be released in this case. I am sure the media will appeal the Judges decision but with the threats that have been made, I doubt they will succeed.

Pretty easy nowadays to identifyjust about anybody with a picture or some idiot could just follow them home from the courthouse. Most of us avoid publicity but some people seek out 15 minutes of fame and I have a feeling we will see interviews with members of this jury as soon as its over.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

Missing? This isn't a question, its your interpretation of events, basically your opinion.

As a good follower of the liberal media, that indoctrination has you spinning your own post. The initial one was spot on, but this follow up? Garbage.

Let me correct you, Manafort, Trumps BRIEF campaign manager, only role was to strong arm convention delegates, among other things including hiring and Media strat. After SIX months, he resigned.

We don't know the decision yet and as the source article points out,

"Ellis, a famously prickly judge known for his colorful comments, has attracted considerable attention during the Manafort trial for his frequent sparring with the attorneys -- particularly those on Special Counsel Robert Mueller's team." Pappas, Gibson Et al.

As for threats, it could be leftist trying to insure a guilty verdict, it could be right leaners, who knows.

Considering the actions of the left, emotionally guided fallacies and general overall disgusting attitudes, I surmise it to be the leftist making threats, however, that's my OPINION.

All in all, with threats being thrown around, I seriously doubt those names will be released. Furthermore, considering our day and age, someone will doxx them and I swear to god the resulting consequences....
edit on 17-8-2018 by Arnie123 because: Hmmm

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join