It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge in Manafort trial says he's been threatened over case

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Oh boy the Manifort trial is getting sticky and vile.

Looks like somebody is getting nervous because of what the Judge is or isn't doing !!

Judge T.S. Ellis is getting threats and has the U.S. Marshals protecting him !!

Seems some of it might have to do with his denial to publish (unseal) some information including the names of the Jurors !!

The MSM apparently cut a motion and it got denied.

Why would the ultra Left Democrat MSM want the Jurors' names ??
Hmmmm 💥😃💥

Judge in Manafort trial says he's been threatened over case

The judge in Paul Manafort’s fraud trial said Friday he has received threats over the case.

U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III made the comments as the jury deliberated for the second day, and as he rejected a motion to release information about the jurors. He said he's confident the jurors would be threatened as well if their information was public.

Ellis said that because of the threats against him, he travels with U.S. Marshals.

“The Marshals go where I go,” Ellis said.

The juror motion itself was filed by multiple news organizations – the Washington Post, New York Times, AP, CNN, NBC, Politico and BuzzFeed. They sought to unseal records in the case, including information about the jurors.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
How many jurors have to "commit suicide" before the others come to a consensus?

Scary times. I hope we the people come out on top.

+35 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I cant believe CNN and other news outlets have filed a motion to unseal the names/addresses of the jurors... What in the actual f*ck... So if the case doesn't go there way, they want to dox the sh*t out of the jurors and ruin their lives???

This type of sh*t needs to stop... How is this not a form of jury tampering?

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

You're not getting the article.

The judge has received threats prior to today, he was already under protection. AP and other news agencies have requested the juror names be released as is customary but the judge can withhold those names if there is a good reason.

The judge then said that since he received threats and has to be under protection, he believes the jurors may also be threatened and he is using that as cause to withhold their names.

It says nowhere who is making threats, it says nowhere that he is refusing to release names and therefore he is getting threats -- this is all your error in connecting it that way and not getting the article right. He is trying to protect the people, he is not getting threatened because he refuses to release names.

What in the actual #? How do you turn that around, while having the quote explaining it in your own OP?

Here is an article from Associated Press, the company that made the request for the juror names.
AP News

edit on 17-8-2018 by Kharron because: typos

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

The judge in the trial of former Donald Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort said Friday he has received threats during the course of the proceedings. Judge T.S. Ellis did not disclose details about the threats. But he said it was enough to make him wary of making the 12 jurors and four alternates' names public. The jury has not yet reached a verdict and is currently deliberating for a second day. "I've received criticism and threats. I'd imagine they would too," Ellis said, adding that US Marshals accompany him everywhere, including an unnamed hotel where he's staying, but jurors don't have that protection. The ruling is not a gag order, and jurors will be free to make individual decisions after the trial of whether or not to speak to the media.
why dont they just wait tell after the trial to want to interview the jurors it seems the first trial is winding down and why are people threatening a judge he seems to have been doing a pretty good job from what ive seen on the matter

www.nbc12.com... guess they are going home early on Friday

The jury in former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort's fraud trial has submitted a note to the court asking to stop deliberations half an hour early Friday. Normally they leave at 5:30 p.m., but the note asked to leave at 5 p.m. The judge read the note aloud in court. The jury deliberated for a second day Friday. On Thursday, the jury ended its first day of deliberations with a series of questions to the judge, including a request to "redefine" reasonable doubt. Manafort is accused of hiding from the IRS millions that he made advising Russia-backed politicians in Ukraine, and then lying to banks to get loans when the money dried up. He faces 18 felony counts on tax evasion and bank fraud. 2:25 p.m. The judge presiding over the fraud trial of former Trump campaign Paul Manafort says he won't release the names of jurors at the trial's conclusion because he fears for their safety and because he himself has received threats. A coalition of media organizations, including The Associated Press, filed a motion requesting the names of jurors after the trial, as well as access to sealed transcripts of bench conferences that have occurred during the three-week trial. Jury lists are presumed to be public unless a judge articulates a reason for keeping them secret. Judge T.S. Eliis III said during a hearing Friday afternoon he is concerned for the "peace and safety of the jurors." He said that he personally has received threats and is currently under the protection of U.S. marshals. He declined to delve into specifics, but said he's been taken aback by the level of interest in the trial.
are we doing the over under betting yet on if he walks or is convicted yet?

www.forbes.com... forbes is apparently leading to the former as opposed to the latter but we stil have a bit to wait tell the verdict comes it seems

Paul Manafort’s lawyers made a calculated and very predictable decision not to call any witnesses after the Government rested its case, thereby setting the stage to proceed directly to closing arguments in the Special Counsel’s Office’s first criminal trial. A trial lawyers’ case strategy, regardless of the sophistication of trial planning, is subject to constant reanalysis and reassessment – witness by witness, and sometimes turning on as little as the expected or unexpected answer to one question or a question never asked of a witness. Manafort’s lawyers made their mid-trial decision undoubtedly based on their confidence that whatever points they sought to make to sew doubt in the minds of jurors and attack the Government’s case were points that they in fact made during precise and calculated cross-examination of Government witnesses. The wisdom of that calculus will become known when the jury returns its verdict.
so again we play the waiting game

www.nbcnews.com...

Here are the questions from the jury, and the answers the judge gave. Question: Is one required to file an FBAR if they own less than 50% of the company and no signatory authority? Answer: After suggestion from the prosecution, Judge Ellis reread Jury Instruction #53, which defined FBARs, and the details surrounding FBARS. ELLIS: A person is an owner of record (Owner of FBAR) if a person is acting on behalf of a US person with access and control of the account, OR if a US person who owned more than 50% of company. Q: Define "shelf company"? A: Rely on collective recollection. Q: Can you redefine reasonable doubt? A: The government is not required to prove beyond "all possible doubt," just doubt that can be reasoned. Q: Can the exhibit list be amended to include the indictment? A: No.
list of questions the jury asked the judge to help them deliberate better

this is the first of two trials scheduled so it seems a good deal of people are eagerly awaiting the juries verdict

+25 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

And here you are to defend the threatening of a Federal Judge and doxing the Jurors. You can't make this stuff up. Spin it however you want, but your unmitigated devotion to a failed political agenda is being exposed.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Oh man... I never saw that coming, seriously. It's getting deep! If a JUDGE comes out with this, you can bet your donkey that it's going down.

Screw the popcorn. It's whiskey night!

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

I cant believe CNN and other news outlets have filed a motion to unseal the names/addresses of the jurors... What in the actual f*ck... So if the case doesn't go there way, they want to dox the sh*t out of the jurors and ruin their lives???

Agreed... He should have them all arrested for jury tampering and hold them until the trial is over, at very least!

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Is 4chan posting CNN's employees names and numbers yet?

Give it a day.

Edit.. nvm, threats are unrelated to failure to release names and just from general fear of going downtown by someone.

Doxxing slightly more unwarranted

edit on 8 by Mandroid7 because: Addd 2

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

And here you are to defend the threatening of a Federal Judge and doxing the Jurors. You can't make this stuff up. Spin it however you want, but your unmitigated devotion to a failed political agenda is being exposed.

Is that actually how you read my words? Or are you pretending and trying to build a strawman?

I can't believe it Metallicus. I explain what really happened, what the article really states. I don't put any spin on it or inject my own feelings and yet you have the audacity to claim I am for doxing jurors or threatening judges.

Please take it elsewhere, I am feeling ill and have no time for BS today. Read my words as they are and do not twist them or I will ignore your posts.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

Earlier today, I heard a conspiracy theory that the media asked for this because they want the jurors to be scared to acquit. I thought that made no sense because the jurors are sequestered and don't know what the media coverage is.

That goes out the window though, now that we found out the jury is going home for the weekend. So it's highly unlikely they won't see any media coverage. Even though the judge denied the request, now they know the media wants to out them if they acquit him.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
www.usatoday.com... from yesterday goes over the key trial points id recommend reading it instead of posting snippets as then people can form their own opinions on it

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

You can write all the long winded responses you want.

It won't matter.

💥😃💥

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Why would the ultra Left Democrat MSM want the Jurors' names ??

To blackmail,bribe,Threaten or otherwise coerce in to a judgment favorable to Trump haters.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
It can be considered to be jury tampering, and gives Manafort a mistrial.

DOH!

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

You can write all the long winded responses you want.

It won't matter.

💥😃💥

Right. Like it wouldn't matter if Trump shot someone in middle of 5th avenue. Same concept. Weird.

edit on 8/17/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

I think a couple of you guys are missing the picture. The Judge said he received Threats. Opinions doesn't matter. He said "THREATS". He received them. It's as clear as day.

His words

“I can tell you there have been [threats]. ... I don't feel right if I release their names,” he said, adding that because of threats against him, “The Marshals go where I go.”

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

And the assumption is the threats came from whom? The media?

edit on 8/17/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
www.theguardian.com... the judge will not release the names due to safety concerns

Judge TS Ellis, who spoke in court as the jury convened for its second day of deliberations on Friday, explained his decision not to release the names and addresses of jurors to the media due to concerns about their “peace and safety”. “I had no idea this case would excite these emotions,” Ellis said. “I don’t feel right if I release their names.”
so that should settle that aspect before the jury releases their verdict they get anonymity at least

texas.nris.com... seems the verdict will most likely come next week least according to this source

ALEXANDRIA, Va. – The jury deliberating the bank and tax fraud trial of former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort asked the judge for a recess in the proceedings by 5 p.m. Friday, signaling a verdict may not come until next week.
weather it comes monday or friday or any day in between is still unknown but it seems the jury must be close to a verdict to want to leave early on a friday

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: StallionDuck

And the assumption is the threats came from whom? The media?

The MEDIA.

Good as any.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join