It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Interested In Atlantis, but I Have One Big Question.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Atlantis, since the first time I heard of it, has always interested me IMMENSELY for some reason. I'm not sure why; it just does. However, I do have a question. Where did this myth come from about their technology? Where did we first learn about Atlantis? I guess my question would be where did the legend originate? I mean, in our culture we have soooo many sci-fi books and fantasy books that if our culture were to be completely destroyed, and then future archeologists dug up one of those books, say Harry Potter or The Terminator, for example, and actually took them seriously.....think of how they'd view our society! It seems to me that it's just a story passed down from a story passed down from a story.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I've always thought it was Plato who first wrote/told a story about it.

here is some interesting reading

www.atlan.org...

There are many other sites out there, this is just one.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Thanks for the link and everything, but it still doesn't quite answer my question. The website is good, but all it really does is go on about how they found it, features of Atlantis, and other things of the sort. But how do we even know Atlantis ever existed? We've never seen it, on all of the sites I look none of the authors ever claim to have seen it. In order for us to know it is really there, SOMEONE must have seen it or discovered it and written about it. Are there any website or articals written by someone who at least claims to have seen it before?

-Thanks

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I believe the only real reference to it was in one of Plato's books. I could be mistaken but thats why its under so much of a shroud. Although Plato does speak of this place in a first hand experience.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I just finished reading a book of fiction that was about Atlantis. while it was fiction, many of the myths and theories I've read were mentioned. The story is about an agent from Atlantis who is sent to Brooklyn to find and kill an agent who stole something from Atlantis.

The book is very funny and entertaining but it's the Myths and theories that are incorporated into this work of fiction that made it much more interesting.

Book is titled Jack Fish, for anyone interested in it.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I have always felt that I lived in Atlantis in a former life. Dr. Brooks Agnew, Arthor of "Ark of Millions of Years" belives that all of us alive today are formerly of Atlantis and this is a very special time to be born into becuase we are all here to help usher in the new world and restore Atlantis. I know it sounds a little crazy, but deep inside when I see depictions of Atlantis I yearn to go home to it and it seems very familiar to me.

Here is a site that you may like
www.atlantisrising.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The Old World source of the legend is Plato and is located here: The Timaeus. It is said Plato heard the legend from an Egyptian Priest, but of course any texts extant perished in the fire at the Library of Alexandria.

The New World source is the oral history of the Cherokee Nation; a good source is James Mooney, History, Myths, and Sacred Formulas of the Cherokees.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
i think my dad told me once that the idea of atlantis came from many cultures (eygypt, greece and others) about myths of a continent/city (which ever u believe it is) that sunk and since so many different culturs had stories about it people thought maybe it was true or something like that

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The site atlan.org that someone mentioned is, IMO, simply ridicolous and full of questionable statements (and I would add misleading or simply wrong information).

Herman, we learnt about Atlantis the first time from Plato, greek philosopher and poet.

His two dialogues, the Timaeus and Critias mentioned the lost continent.

These dialogues supposedly are based on what a greek politician of that time (Solon, 638-558 or 559 BC) learnt in one of his trips to Egypt from an egyptian priest.

In the Timaeus, Plato even locates Atlantis, as being in front of the Hercules Pillars (the Strait of Gibraltar that separates Spain from Morocco).

From this story came the belief that Atlantis ended in the depths of the Atlantic Ocean and that iw was a continent situated between Europe and America.

However there is no proof of its location yet and many other places have been suggested as possible place of rest for Atlantis.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrJazzIn the Timaeus, Plato even locates Atlantis, as being in front of the Hercules Pillars (the Strait of Gibraltar that separates Spain from Morocco).

Agreed, MrJazz. It is important to note in the Greek Plato says,

This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits which are by you called the Pillars of Heracles; the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together, and was the way to other islands, and from these you might pass to the whole of the opposite continent which surrounded the true ocean; for this sea which is within the Straits of Heracles is only a harbour, having a narrow entrance, but that other is a real sea, and the surrounding land may be most truly called a boundless continent.

In front. Now, if you stand on the forecastle of a ship in the Strait of Gibraltar as it exits the Mediterranean into the Atlantic, you will be facing-

Due West.

From this story came the belief that Atlantis ended in the depths of the Atlantic Ocean and that it was a continent situated between Europe and America.

Plato locates the continent between Europe and Asia. Stretch a string on a globe from the mouth of the Mediterranean, due West.

Where does the string first touch land?

When I first heard rumors of this I thought "Sure". Now I am just "like wow".

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
it is written in egypt in the pyramids there.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Try this link on for size. Seems to be interesting.....

www.was-this-atlantis.info...

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The original was Plato, who doesn't mention fantastic technology. The legend resurfaces occasionally, but the real boost for it came from Edgar Cayce and his friends, all of whom "channeled" things about technology and the lives and times of the Atlanteans and how they used cyrstals and so forth.

...all of which were conveneintly rather like the modern American civilization and not at all like the ancient civilizations. However, they did make a lot of money from these books.

This was part of the great Theosophical movement (a romantic movement) of the early 1920's.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by trust_no_one
i think my dad told me once that the idea of atlantis came from many cultures (eygypt, greece and others) about myths of a continent/city (which ever u believe it is) that sunk and since so many different culturs had stories about it people thought maybe it was true or something like that

No, there's just one ancient source (and it is only Plato.) There is no mention of anything like Atlantis in the writings of the Egyptians, Sumerians, Babylonians, ... OR other ancient Greeks.

Unlike Troy and other vanished cities, which had multiple legends suggesting they were real.)

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigman520

No it's not.......where do get this from? No writing has been found inside the Great Pyramid

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigman520

LOL, I love the Dump and Run Comments.

From every in depth look at the history of Atlantis, Only one reference which started it all was Plato’s. Every Story of Atlantis comes from there. TO me this is odd for such a great Civilization. It has been interpreted many different ways , from the continent was as big Africa, to it was in between there. Depended on your Greek translation. Now was there a real Atlantis. There isn’t any solid proof, REAL proof. But they did say the same thing about Troy as well. And they did find that.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   

No, there's just one ancient source (and it is only Plato.) There is no mention of anything like Atlantis in the writings of the Egyptians, Sumerians, Babylonians, ... OR other ancient Greeks.

On this I'd have to agree...

But of course, this also predates those civilizations as well...according to Plato.

Byrd is likewise correct on Cayce as being the origin of the technology musings... No such thing is mentioned by Plato.

As most already know though, I disagree with Byrd on Atlantis' existence....

I think it can be easily found here:

www.geocities.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Ladyv there is nothing of atlantis found in the great pyramid but there are pics depicting a space craft of some sort

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaxPineapple
Ladyv there is nothing of atlantis found in the great pyramid but there are pics depicting a space craft of some sort

Nope. There aren't, in fact.

You're thinking of the pampliset of Abydos, and it has been proven time and time again that the "spacecraft" is just a regular inscription that has been heavily photoshopped until it looks like a sort-of spacecraft.

It's actually writing. An inscription. It gives the name of a Pharoah (I'm blanking on the name) in its "king of upper and lower Egypt" form (called a "Two Ladies" form because it begins with the name of the goddess that represents Upper Egypt and the goddess of Lower Egypt) and then continues (rough translation) and continues with his title as the defender of the lands of Egypt against the foreign invaders.

An old hoax, and one we keep debunking here.

(and yes, if you borrow a book on reading hieroglyphics from the library, you can very easily see that what I've said is exactly what the inscription is... and that it's nothing at all about UFOs or planes.)

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
On the above, I agree...

Why must everyone bring spaceships, etc. into an Atlantis discussion??? Aside from Cayce, and those who came after, there is nothing to support Atlantis had any more advanced tech than civilizations that came after it....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join