It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado School District goes to 4 day School week

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I live in CO, and I can honestly tell you that even with a 5-day school week, it feels like they're never at school. They honestly get sooooooo many more days off than I ever did growing up, it's ridiculous. The kids also don't seem to be the brightest bulbs on the xmas tree, so I'm really not sure how having one less day a week is going to help with this.

It's not happening in my district yet, but I hear people tell me that it's up for discussion. I've had parents tell me they really hope it doesn't pass, because now they'll have to find people to watch their kids for that day while they work.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

This should be an interesting social experiment.
Will these kids be any less prepared for their s.a.t's than 5 day a week students?

We already send them to school for 12 years then tell them they need 4 more years to be able to get a good job.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

fillingmymap.com...

according to Finland, less is more

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I've read articles about some European countries that the teachers move between classes and the students stay in the same room.
They also didn't have sports or music programs to interfere with the school day.

American schools are a bloated mess of inefficiency.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

You can't compare Finland to the US school system. Europeans have a completely different
working culture than we do. That culture allows for this kind of school week. That would be great if Colorado was
moving in this direction for work, but we know that simply isn't going to happen.

businessculture.org...

"Legislators and employers in Finland have come up with structures which make combining working-life with domestic life less complex.

It is possible to stay at home and take care of your child until they are three years of age without fear of losing your job. Once your child has entered school, you can adjust your working hours to facilitate child care."

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Schools have not kept up with how society has changed over time...

The hours are too short and the summer breaks can be burdensome. In many communities, both parents are working full time jobs but elementary schools let out at 2... so now parents have to scramble to find after school care. I think elementary should go till 6pm. They can easily just have some sort of play / homework time from say 3-6.

The same issue with summer breaks. Summer breaks were for when kids actually used to go work on farms during growing season. They weren't meant for teachers to get a 3 month vacation. School should be year round with a few dispersed vacations throughoot the year.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
The hell man, these children should be embracing as much education as possible, other countries like China are putting their children through the ringers.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Chinese kids don't "embrace" education. Their parents beat it down their throats. In most Asian household (yes I know I'm Asian) education comes first. It is what parents spend all their money on. They do not dream of a relaxing retired life after working. They dream of educated children that have a better life than them. Children know if they do not bring an A home they will get beat, get yelled out, get beat again, have shame and then get beat again. If a child brings an A home, the parents will ask why not A+. If you bring a C home, might as well run away from home. If most people knew what went on in Asian household most of the parents would get arrested. That is no exaggeration. Asians always seek the best education. They know life is not fair. So they will do whatever is necessary to give their children the best advantage. If they lived in this Colorado district, they would move, go to private school or get tutors. They would not just accept it.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

In Texas, at least in the two districts my kids attended, Friday was a "half-day" with early dismissal. In turn, Fridays evolved into "freedays" for the kids.

The half of a day remains to keep in the guidelines for funding. Primarily the need for free lunches and breakfasts.

Our tax dollars spent have very little to do towards actual education.

Mg

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I can't blame them, sometimes people teach themselves-with all the studying, the extracurricular activities, and the homework..and that's before college!

I'm of the old school, give a kid an apprenticeship and you will have a mutually beneficial relationship, the kid learns and earns, and the boss shares his knowledge. I know that some might frown upon "home schooling" but I have learnt a lot from personal mentors unlike a certain high school teacher who came to school in a tight fitting Star Trek costume (she had an ample bust so obviously we were looking not learning.)

I might not have the college credentials but I do have the smarts, hell I learnt more out of high school than I did in it. I personally believe in the rule of two, sometimes a teacher only needs one student.
edit on 17-8-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-8-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It was done to save money and lure in teachers because they wouldn't have to work teaching as many days.

......Because teachers work so many days of the year??

I'm all for experimenting, as what we do currently doesn't seem to be great.

A district near us is going to year round school as well, ala places like Australia I think, with blocks of off time throughout the year.

Whatever works.

edit on 17-8-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

What if nothing works?

What if the problem is the nature of the institution itself?
edit on 8/17/18 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
This on the surface appears to be an attempt to save the school district money, however looking into exactly what they are doing, one can see it is an attempt to raise money after several failed bond issues.

Teachers are paid a straight salary and expected to teach 5 days a week. No change is ever mentioned to teachers contracted services such as lower pay or even a shortened week. Teachers on average are not paid enough in comparison to those on school boards and in the district offices so I highly doubt the district will save money here.

The school buildings are often used year round for various programs which include district child care programs. So no savings to be had here, school bus use is one area the district point too as a big saving so they could count it but in reality it's minimal piece of the overall budget.

The district made the decision without parental input and in fact sprung it last minute leaving parents with struggling to find child care at the last minute. Steps in the district with a solution for $30 a day per child they can provide those services and include transportation for those children.

A simple backdoor bond issue to make up the failed bond issues the district tried to pass earlier. I am all for the best education we can provide to our kids but districts manage money worse than Congress. It's why we have seen a huge increase in charter schools.

Plenty of poor management there as well as its often funded publically with school vouchers. They are non profits but still pay individuals often unqualified to run these projects and their goals are to do it as cheaply as possiable so they can profit thru exorbitant salaries.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
a reply to: pavil

What if nothing works?

What if the problem is the nature of the institution itself?

The School system we have was setup for the Industrial Age......it's needs to change to the Information Age.

Major structural changes need to happen. I doubt they will though.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
@ ketsuko

but this is why capitalism is great

if there isn't child care for older elementary school kids, open one

Heck, if one of the teachers wanted to, they could charge the parents money to watch their kids on the day off and make as much or more then they make the rest of the weak.

gotta find life funny

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Most teachers don't want to watch kids the other 4 days!

I played cards against humanity with a bunch of teachers. I have to say that
was one of the most eye opening experiences in my life.

edit on 17-8-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

My uncle is a retired school teacher.
He taught 2nd and 3rd grade for over 30 years.
I went to a few of his 4th of July parties that some of his colleagues attended.

As you say, it was an eye opening experience.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Let's just say if I were Omarosa and taped that game I am 100% every single person would have been fired. It wasn't the game so much as it was the comments being said. Professors were worse.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: ketsuko

but raising taxes doesn't solve the fundamental problems that are wasting all of the money, the parents should continue to refuse to pay taxes until they fix the problems

No.

Raising taxes never will. As parents are mostly prevented from easily voting with their wallets or feet by putting their children elsewhere and having the money those kids represent go with them, there is no incentive for the school system to ever change its practices.

This is the problem with the monopoly the public school system enjoys in its current form.

You could feed them more money forever, and we largely have in this country, and it always ends up being never enough. At some point, we ought to realize that more money isn't the answer by itself and start looking at other ways to fix things. You could argue this is one, but I really don't think less school is an answer to it either.

Parents have tried organizing booster events to raise money for their school. But then the local education board steps in, confiscates that money and declares that it should be shared between all the schools. Defeated, the parents just give up.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
i think it will be an interesting experiment. especially since it seems that other school districts are doing the same thing. i know i recently read that some country in Europe was thinking of going to a 4 day work week. and studies were cited that this would actually increase productivity. so it may do the same for students. although i bet the poor kids get a ton of homework dumped on them for that extra day off. i personally like what at least some schools in the Philippines are doing. where they are not giving homework on weekends (although they still have to go to school an Saturdays sometimes to make up time if there have been too many rain days). this to both give the students a needed break. as well as to improve family time in a society where many if not most people work long hours like 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week. students also spend less time a day in school due to there being two complete school shifts (morning, or afternoon) since there are so many students and not enough schools (with class sizes sometimes being over 40 students per class). with class times being something like 6am-12pm, and then 1pm to 7pm.

i do not however really agree with the reason at least this school district is doing it, ie to save money. i think that even with the students having 4 days of school, teachers should work 5 days (paid of course) at the school. which i would think would attract teachers even better. the teachers using this one day a week to do what just about every teacher in every country i know has to do in their own time taking up much of their evenings and weekends, that they do not get paid for. things like marking and working on lessons.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join