It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado School District goes to 4 day School week

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
www.fox5atlanta.com...

Oh, Colorado what were you thinking. This district tried several times to keep the 5 day school week, but residents wouldn't budge.
Does anyone else find it ironic that any parents that voted against this will now have to pay about $30 every week, vs. a small increase in their taxes?
You know that saying, cheap is expensive!
You know that other saying, the best way to control people, keep them ignorant.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
honestly they aren't learning much anyway put them in the workforce, seriously let them learn real skills that matter and stop wasting everyone's time learning algebra and language arts for 20+ years

maybe they will actually learn something

I can put a measuring tape in an 8 year olds hands and teach them fractions in a few days and the school system will take 5 years to teach them basic math
edit on 17-8-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Yeah, we saw the stories on this while we were out there this past week.

It was done to save money and lure in teachers because they wouldn't have to work teaching as many days.

As a parent with a five-day-a-week job, what do you now do with your kids on Friday (or Monday ... I think is the actual day they trimmed)? This leaves families in the lurch because it's not like you can go to your boss and demand 4-day flexibility to cover for what the school isn't doing and if day cares work there like they do here, you can't expect them to take your kids for one day a week because they only want them full-time. Plus, many child cares don't go as old as school kids who would need child care to cover will be.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

I don't have any information about their budget, but I'll wager that there are several "superintendents" in that district that are probably pulling down 6 figures per year.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

but raising taxes doesn't solve the fundamental problems that are wasting all of the money, the parents should continue to refuse to pay taxes until they fix the problems
edit on 17-8-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I don't have any information about their budget, but I'll wager that there are several "superintendents" in that district that are probably pulling down 6 figures per year.

and former pulling in 100k a year pension's don't forget that

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   
www.newsobserver.com...

Former Wake Superintendent Jim Merrill's pension could cost taxpayers an extra $351,992

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

but raising taxes doesn't solve the fundamental problems that are wasting all of the money, the parents should continue to refuse to pay taxes until they fix the problems

No.

Raising taxes never will. As parents are mostly prevented from easily voting with their wallets or feet by putting their children elsewhere and having the money those kids represent go with them, there is no incentive for the school system to ever change its practices.

This is the problem with the monopoly the public school system enjoys in its current form.

You could feed them more money forever, and we largely have in this country, and it always ends up being never enough. At some point, we ought to realize that more money isn't the answer by itself and start looking at other ways to fix things. You could argue this is one, but I really don't think less school is an answer to it either.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   

totally agree, glad they are getting their pensions (pension = getting paid money STOLEN from tax payers for not going to work)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
As a parent with a five-day-a-week job, what do you now do with your kids on Friday...

Harness and tether.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Duct tape.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

totally agree, glad they are getting their pensions (pension = getting paid money STOLEN from tax payers for not going to work)

I have less problem with the idea of pension so long as it's a responsibly managed one that both parties have paid into over the years. Too often the government style ones are pretty cushy and in mismanaged funds though so they are largely funded whole cloth by new taxes.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Duct tape.

Yeah, you just gotta remember to poke a little breathing hole in the one you put over their mouths.

Or not....

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

The #1 problem with school funding in the US is that it is funded by property taxes.
#2 problem is that schools are terrible at budgeting. In my experience Illinois has to be one of the worst. Sorry, just
had to get a jab in at Illinois.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Surprised neither of you have suggested drugs ... I mean herbal supplements ... yet.

Or, to quote a coworker, BOURBON.
edit on 17-8-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Surprised neither of you have suggested drugs ... I mean herbal supplements ... yet.

I'm sure drugs and Bourbon will help you cope after leaving your kids harnessed and tethered at home to a radiator while you toil away at your job.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Children just don't appreciate a fine, aged bourbon.

It'd be a waste of good booze.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Children just don't appreciate a fine, aged bourbon.

It'd be a waste of good booze.

Oh, she wanted to give it to the kids?

Yeah. No. Like the Cowboy said, too good for kids. Just have them chug some Everclear and then trudge off to whatever sweatshop you happen to be slaving away in.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

As a parent with a five-day-a-week job, what do you now do with your kids on Friday...

Harness and tether.

Some people are going to call you cruel. But they lack culture.

In Australia everyone has a harness and tether to keep them from falling of the earth.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Isn't it interesting that the Colorado "pot tax" was proposed to help the schools.

Us old folks know that song and dance. We've heard it a thousand times. Those toll road, oh they'll be temporary until the roads are fixed. Oh that special assessment just temporary. Oh that tax to help the schools.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join