It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Los Angeles Homeless Man Shares the Harsh Reality of Skid Row

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: Edumakated

We don't divide and assign property rights...

Excuse me??? We divide the land into parcels and lots and we then assign it to people with deeds. Please.

... property has value...

Of course it does... because people need to live and work somewhere.

... and the only way to own property is to either have cash or get financing.

It wasn't always that way, and it is only that way now because that's how MAN made it -- not God, not nature, not nature's god. Man made the rules. Man made cash. Man made financing.

We made the rules and we can change the rules. But we need to change our attitude and purposes first.

Property isn't "assigned" it is purchased. Yes, there is a plot of land that can vary in size, etc. You buy that plot, it isn't assigned to you. Assigned implies it is given to you.

If you cannot hold a job, you cannot purchase an asset that has underlying value.

If you are proposing something like homesteading like government did in Alaska where people were assigned a plot of land to care for and then given ownership after a period of time, then that is something else. But again, what makes you think some meth head will have the discipline and will to work a homestead out in the middle of bumblestank Alaska or wherever?

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

I didn't read your post and wasn't replying to you...sorry if you assumed that.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Property isn't "assigned" it is purchased.

And "purchase" is just a fancy way of saying it's assigned by government -- after acquisition via treaties and/or wars -- in accordance with ability to pay... or perhaps, to be more specific, the "owners" ability to profit.

Yes, there is a plot of land that can vary in size, etc.

And that plot size, dimensions, boundaries, etc., were all determined by government upon their acquisition of said land.

You buy that plot, it isn't assigned to you.

See above.

Assigned implies it is given to you.

Things are assigned in various ways for various reasons and for various purposes. In this case, land is assigned according to ability to pay.

If you cannot hold a job, you cannot purchase an asset that has underlying value.

Um... tell trust fund kids that.

If you are proposing something like homesteading like government did in Alaska where people were assigned a plot of land to care for and then given ownership after a period of time, then that is something else.

I am very much in favor of another Homestead Act; it is one of many possible reform measures.

But again, what makes you think some meth head will have the discipline and will to work a homestead out in the middle of bumblestank Alaska or wherever?

Huh??? Are you talking about a Meth-Heads-Only-Need-Apply Homestead Act?????

If my husband and I were presented such an opportunity today, we would jump on it in a New York minute -- and no, we're not meth heads. With the skills we've acquired throughout our lifetime, we could quickly make something productive and beneficial of that land pretty darn quick. If we had been given that opportunity 30 years ago, it might have taken longer, as we learned and honed our skills, but today it would be productive and beneficial to society.

I'm betting there's plenty of people with the will and a way who could and would make the absolute most of the opportunity. And if we actually used our education system to teach kids real life skills, their success would be even greater.

And I'm betting there's plenty of folks who are down and out today who wouldn't be if they had been given exactly such an opportunity before life kicked them to the curb.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The entire thread is about coked out homeless folks living on skid row, not trust fund kids or motivated individuals who might take advantage of a homestead act.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I'm so sorry, it's hard to keep up with threads sometimes,

My bad, boss,

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I missed the part in OP that had anything to do now with what you’re implying “Coked out homeless...”smh

edit on 17-8-2018 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
The entire thread is about coked out homeless folks living on skid row, not trust fund kids or motivated individuals who might take advantage of a homestead act.

No, it is not. At no point does the OP even mention "coked out homeless folks living on skid row." Not even once. Not even close.

And while others included drug abuse as PART of the problem, you are the one who first presumed the worst about every single one --

The bottom line is that these folks are either junkies or can short of a six pack upstairs. It is that simple.

That's ALL ON YOU.

Like it or not, I am allowed to discuss other reasons for the topic, and solutions. I am on topic.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: slatesteam

I missed the part in OP that had anything to do now with what you’re implying “Coked out homeless...”smh

Some of us are more street smart than others... a crackhead doesn't need to tell me he is a crackhead. I've been around them long enough to know one when I see one. Sad videos don't obscure one's crackheadness...

I get some of you want to buy into the woes is me stories and that these folks are just under paid computer engineers trying to get by but some of us can see reality when it stares us in the face.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I get that some us want to believe what we will without accepting the plight of others as real....

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: slatesteam

Lets talk about a real plight and homelessness than.

I saw "trust fund kids" on the streets as well.
They had well off parents and came from rich areas.
Trust fund kids (if I can call it that) were there to rebel and piss off their parents,thinking they are being cool....they had homes to go to and I have seen MANY of those,they don't last unless they get hooked on drugs and throw everything away....other than that,its just a "crazy phase" they went through.

For a privileged person to use homelessness as a tactic against their parents....what does that say about things??
Sometimes ignoring the homeless isn't a bad thing is it??

You can't con a con....but a con CAN con a well meaning idiot and thats what I saw.
I would LOVE to hear the parents version of events that lead to them ignoring the phone calls.

I'm just not that naive.
Its a well meaning idiot,making a video thinking he is informing people,when the reality is,he is not getting any straight answers from the guy in the first place,to get any truth from and is too ignorant to know it.

If he wants to quit being a well meaning idiot and actually help... he'd put the freaking camera down and invite them into his home.
Of course he won't do that but, I am glad he got to masturbate to his own awesomeness though,by bringing us this very informative video.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Okay I’ll play. So are you using “trust fund homeless kids” (much like coked out homeless, like homeless could afford that narcotic anyway) to bring new insight to the table or are you just proving my responses you commented on?

I mean is that the exception or the rule here??

And are you seriously implying your one hypothetical situation is why people are bummed out and homeless?

“Just a phase”

By your logic, maybe wage stagnation and inflation since the 50s and pushed hard since 2000, is just a phase too

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: slatesteam

Okay I’ll play

I'll play too!!!

So are you using “trust fund homeless kids” (much like coked out homeless,

Yup...I am!!!
Whatever you want...I don't mind if you get the last word lol

like homeless could afford that narcotic anyway

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

to bring new insight

Yes,insight based on experience,so its worth a little more to me in the grand scheme of things.

you just proving my responses you commented on

I'm denying ignorance.

And are you seriously implying

Yup!!!

By your logic

First I had to get experience,after that I had to think logically and reasonably to come to some thought out conclusions......so yes,by my logic I decide.
I decided my experience counts a lot more than some guy on the internet arguing about the 50s and inflation.

Last word is for you...have a nice day.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Scummy guy accepting a situation where his woman sells her body for cash, he's no better than a pimp.
I've been homeless on the streets, and if I was with the woman I loved I'd do many things before living off her having sex with strangers.
The only guys in my part of the world who live off their women prostituting themselves out are heroin addicts and scumbags - I put the guy in the OP into one or both of those categories.
Do-gooders say what you like, I know I'd find some other option before pimping my woman out, I've been in similar situations, and the guy is scum even if he doesn't realise it yet.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Nope. You clearly layed it all out based on whatever personal experience you aren’t expressing regarding homelessness. Thank you for all those non-answers.

I see now the error of my ways comparing decades of the dollar’s decline to homelessness in the US. How dare I draw conclusions by what I’ve witnessed in my own lifetime

I get it now. You have a good one too.

I’m going to relax now in the bask of enlightenment bestowed by internet trolls the duration of my weekend

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: an325nt

So, they hopped a bus to a known nightmare town, and didn't bring enough resources to go back to where they came from? And her family just... Abandoned them mid trip?

Doesn't sound like we've got the full story here.

Maybe you're right, but in a nation of 330,000,000~, is it really hard to believe anomalies?

No, it's true that we don't have the full story.

We don't know the circumstances behind where they were, why they felt they needed to leave it, we don't know anything about her family or why they would simply disappear.

We don't know why they would have so few resources that a bus ride would trap them in these circumstances and if they were that poorly off, we don't why they felt they needed to burn those resources to come to California on what was clearly an unreliable family if it could up and disappear.

We don't know anything about his circumstances or family. Where are they? Do they exist? Why won't they help if they do exist?

We don't know why they haven't gone to any of the aid orgs that do exist in various churches and other places specifically to help get people off the street. Have they tried? Do they know how to find those places? Are there personal circumstances (like drug addiction) preventing that?

Nope, there is a lot we don't know.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
True, but Osaka is not a place you want to be homeless in unless you like sake and stay high all day.
What is happening now is that private companies are opening internet cafes, open 24 hrs. They have a cut off section for women only. Here they have a small restaurant , shower and clean toilets. The charge by the hour, its safe place to stay and about 3000 yen for 24 hours. As you know rent is very high in the cities here and these internet cafes are catching on. It does keep people off the streets.

Will this work in the States?
NO
Americans will end up destroying these places with their filthy way of living. Why do I say this? Because it is true. Ever wonder why the cities don't have more public restrooms on the streets, because they'd be destroyed, not worth the trouble.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Empty out the prisons. Let those in there for minor drug infractions go free. Take the hardcore criminals and lease a nice big chunk of Russian Siberia and drop them into it. Build shelters, give them regular support, but no other contact with the outside world. Cheap and effective.

Convert the prisons to high-security homes for the homeless. Think of it as a gated community with a really, really good gate. If you get caught with drugs or get involved with gang extortion, you get a free trip to Siberia for a few years to think about it.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
As someone who's livd in los Angeles until just recently for 38 years I can assure you its a sxxx hole.

The man's story is a common one. And its anyone whos days away from living on the street. I've been homeless living in my car and had guns drawn on me at 4am by homeowners who were sick of me sleeping in my car in front of their house.

I've had the LAPD laugh at me and call me names when they saw me either dumpster diving for food or struggling with a half torn trash bag filled with scavanged recyclables walking down the street to the recycling centre so I could literally make a dollar. One dollar to spend at McDonalds on their dollar menu as the only food I'll have for a day...or two.

I've seen homeless people in the street begging for help, where they didnt want money for themselves but for their dog sitting next to them. I see them and go 'I know that face somewhere.'. A half hour later I'd realise I saw that person in the elevator two weeks earlier going to their job's wearing a suit. In a 30 story building in downtown. Only to realize theyd been laid off with no fault to their own.

I've begged for public assistance only to be told that although I'm starving and filthy I still wasn't in as bad shape as the others around me. I'd look around and realize they're right.

I've been told by various govt institutions I'm worth more to them dead than alive and that my personal health. Safety or Human dignity was unimportant. All that mattered was money.

I've paid 1200 a month in a mediocre area of los Angeles for a crappy studio apartment with no electricity in my bathroom. A shower that wouldn't drain and back flow sewage through the drain. Nasty brown septic sewage. An apartment that had no closets a rat infestation and black widows. Only to be told when I approached the city that I was lucky and to get in line cause there were places far worse n town.

That's los Angeles. Los Angeles is a sxxx hole.

Los Angeles is so bad and such a horrible example of everything that's wrong with america that it caused me to lose faith in both the city and the country. Inspired me to move to another country where lo and behold I found I wasn't crazy. That it actually was a uncivilised sxxx hole that misses the point entirely for what it means to be a civilised society.
edit on 17-8-2018 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Thank you for attesting to your own experience.
You’re right, our state is in dire straits.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
As someone who's livd in los Angeles until just recently for 38 years I can assure you its a sxxx hole.

The man's story is a common one. And its anyone whos days away from living on the street. I've been homeless living in my car and had guns drawn on me at 4am by homeowners who were sick of me sleeping in my car in front of their house.

I've had the LAPD laugh at me and call me names when they saw me either dumpster diving for food or struggling with a half torn trash bag filled with scavanged recyclables walking down the street to the recycling centre so I could literally make a dollar. One dollar to spend at McDonalds on their dollar menu as the only food I'll have for a day...or two.

I've seen homeless people in the street begging for help, where they didnt want money for themselves but for their dog sitting next to them. I see them and go 'I know that face somewhere.'. A half hour later I'd realise I saw that person in the elevator two weeks earlier going to their job's wearing a suit. In a 30 story building in downtown. Only to realize theyd been laid off with no fault to their own.

I've begged for public assistance only to be told that although I'm starving and filthy I still wasn't in as bad shape as the others around me. I'd look around and realize they're right.

I've been told by various govt institutions I'm worth more to them dead than alive and that my personal health. Safety or Human dignity was unimportant. All that mattered was money.

I've paid 1200 a month in a mediocre area of los Angeles for a crappy studio apartment with no electricity in my bathroom. A shower that wouldn't drain and back flow sewage through the drain. Nasty brown septic sewage. An apartment that had no closets a rat infestation and black widows. Only to be told when I approached the city that I was lucky and to get in line cause there were places far worse n town.

That's los Angeles. Los Angeles is a sxxx hole.

Los Angeles is so bad and such a horrible example of everything that's wrong with america that it caused me to lose faith in both the city and the country. Inspired me to move to another country where lo and behold I found I wasn't crazy. That it actually was a uncivilised sxxx hole that misses the point entirely for what it means to be a civilised society.

Lived in Los Angeles also, wasn't bad at the time , 70's and 80's, like you I ended up moving to another country. Have visited the States 4 times in the last 25 years, I had to say to myself wtf happened. People were acting strange. Guess I said the same thing here 25 years agp in this country. Asia is no a bad place to live, would I move back to the States, I'd try my luck in Costa Rica first I think.
edit on 0800000023022018-08-17T21:02:23-05:00022308pm9 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join