It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Mone blasts ‘SNP moron’ MP after criticism of daughter’s reality TV stint

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   
So Baroness Michelle Mone has blasted out at SNP for criticising her daughters stint on the reality tv show "born famous"

Alison Thewliss hit back at Michelle

Utterly despicable exploitation of a kind, close-knit community. No area deserves "poverty safari" treatment, but particularly cruel of @MichelleMone to use East End roots to pick on Bridgeton, which has seen change led by local people, supported @clydegateway. @bridgeton_cc.

Then lady mone commented

...I have so much respect for my background, home&the people of Glasgow especially the East End which you’ll be able to see very soon.Another SNP moron opening their mouth again without knowing the facts&trying to cause trouble Read more at: www.scotsman.com...

I can help but think , if you have so much respect , then why blatantly rip the piss by appearing on the show !

I find this type of behaviour abhorrent , pretty much using poeverty as a tool to advance your own career through tv time !

its ridiculous ,well all I can say is, that lassie better have decent security ,because the east end of glasgow is no joke
and certainly not a walk in the park, she better have 24 hr security as a scheme lassie will run through her quicker than a dose of the #es after mixing anal night and curry night.

Baroness Michelle Mone, blasts at SNP

Tory scumbags at it again , they never fail to disappoint me , I always expect them to act like worst #s, and they never let me down!

using other peoples suffering to advance your own career

edit on 17-8-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

What do you know about the show? You seem to be outraged about it's content already, although you don't know what it's content is, other than a small blurb.

Maybe you should take the beautiful Michelle's advice -

“It’s so disappointing that people have made a snap judgement on what the series is about and I hope they will reserve further judgement for when they are able to view it.”

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Dem0nc1eaner
The show basically takes a child of a wealthy person
and puts them into the surroundings and environment of their parents before they made it famous/rich

in this case the east end of Glasgow , Bridgeton

but basically what this is doing is using the poverty and suffering of others as a tool to advance ones own career!

Very much similar to the artist who was paid 15K to live in a Glasgow housing estate for a year

It's taking the piss likes, using the suffering of others to boost your own wealth and status

She maybe beautiful on the outside , but money has corrupted that lassie , now she is a soul-less wretch!

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

But you have no idea in what light the show will be cast. It could be very respectful.

It sounds a lot better than Benefits Street or whatever it was called.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Aye just like the yin about the gypsys
and benefits street, or the scheme , or any other show depicting the lower class

this is the same as that #in arse piece paris hilton , living with commoners
in her tv show , only to show herself up as a dolt without a smote of intelligence or common sense other than what is in fashion wise.

Please tell me how taking the daughter of a rich person and putting her next to the polar opposite is respectful
its a eye opener for better offs to laugh at and make themselves feel better about themselves !

"least we dont live like those rats in Bridgeton in manky auld Scotland"

If you want to raise awareness fine, scrap the #in show and use all the money to give to the needy in Bridgeton!
thats helping , not making a tv show which will only serve to mock the poor so rich people can expand their wealth and port folio!

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Anyway that lassie Michelle Mone famous for making her wealth in lingerie
is she no only famous because those knickers she made were keeping her ankles warm !

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Darren has some pretty good thoughts on this !

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Why is the East end of Glasgow so poor then?
Benefit payments are at a national rate, same for you guys as it is down my way.
We have plenty of poverty here but no burned out cars and dumped beds/furniture in the streets. We're even worse off here than you guys in Scotland, we have the highest water charges unlike you who get it included in your council tax. We have some of the highest rents outside of London due to rich folk from the south east buying second homes here. Most people on benefits have to pay a top up to their LHA payments because the benefit doesn't cover it.
I had a quick search on the East end of Glasgow and rents are dirt cheap compared to ours, your local council LHA rate covers the lot in most cases.

I don't mean to criticise, but you really need to be asking questions about the community itself when welfare buys a hell of a lot more up your way for the £ compared to down here.
If your streets are dangerous and disrespected by rubbish and dumped fridges then maybe it is the community itself which needs to change?

Yes, plenty of dirt poor folk in my parts, but hardly any of the problems you have up your way. Maybe people depend on the nanny state too much and expect everything done for them?
...but as far as 'money in the bank' problems go, you are a hell of a lot better off in Scotland than down here with expensive rents and water charges.
Try living on benefits down here when there is a £30 per week shortfall in housing benefit so people have to pay the difference out of their JSA/ESA. Strange how we don't have the violence that you claim up there which the Baroness should fear.
It must be a cultural thing with people in your parts just bitter and angry because of the cold weather?

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

well I think the majority of Glasgow is like that , where post industrialisation and closing of major public businesses has had a long lasting affect on suburbs of the city !

The removal of our industry left Glasgow a shell , and no new industry to replace it with left vast unemployment and poverty
with continual recession on top of that , there isnt really any light at the end of the tunnel !

I think those are the General reasons why most of Glasgow hasnt ever came out of the post industrial dark ages !
Of course there are lots of things people in the communities can take responsibility for.

I couldn't possibly comment on the level of benefits , as I've never had to claim a benefit fortunately as Ive had steady employment since I left uni.

You also have to remember that crime is still in high in Glasgow , aye its no where near as bad as the knife gangs in the 50 - 70's but its still quite dangerous if you are in the wrong area.
Crime can have a long lasting affect on communities , so does the drug abuse and there are plenty of wee fannies oot puntin gear !

Bridgeton is a #ehole, there are nice parts, and since I left 7 years ago , there has been some improvement to housing , especially when the commonwealth games came to town. The Council made sure to resurface the roads and clean up the parks, and even built new housing and shops , but its really just another coat of varnish!

There isn't an easy answer , but what we certainly don't need is the media or politicians rubbing folks faces in it , or causing further divide by highlighting already blatantly obvious problems and offering no solutions !
All they care about is themselves , what benefit will this program have for anyone in poverty in Bridgeton?

"Hey look maw , am oan the telly" as you head to the shops to buy your cider at the new prices for yer maw and 20 fags for yer da! - # all !

The only people to benefit from this are those rich kids who are on their for a CV , and the tv execs who will cash in from ratings of middle class people looking down on lower class people through the comfort of their own living room!

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I totally understand your points about some rich person pretending to 'slum it' for a week or so before returning to their comfortable wealthy life, so on that point I do see your grievance.

I don't understand the crime and depravation though because as I said, all UK benefits are set at a national rate outside of London.
Honestly, on paper you Scots should be living the dream compared to us. Free prescriptions, free university tuition, dirt cheap rents which housing benefit covers in full, water charges included in your council tax and covered by benefits from the local council.
Things we can only dream about in south west England.

Yet you have the highest levels of alcoholism and drug addiction, in communities which are more violent and disrespected with dumped fridges and vandalism etc. That cannot be the fault of central government and poverty because we are much poorer in my area than the average Scot is.
There is next to zero social housing here either, just sky high private rental places which the benefits do not cover in full.

Again, I don't mean to criticise, but to anyone in my parts you guys are living the dream compared to us (ignore your crap weather of course), so if there is violence and whatever else it can only be due to the mindset of the community, not the fault of government.

The Baroness in your OP could make a film about the poverty in my parts and you wouldn't see the vandalism, violence, and depravation such as in Glasgow because even though folk are poor they respect their local environment.
I see cultural differences more than anything else, and until that changes no amount of money will fix Glasgow's problems.
Scotland already has more money spent on it (per person) than anywhere else in Britain, yet still your communities cannot fix themselves. How you influence that I have no idea, maybe we look after our places with less money down here because it is a nice environment, maybe it is cultural, but it is definitely not because Scottish people have less money in benefits than us...quite the opposite mate.
Unfortunate truth maybe, but true nonetheless.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Scotland didnt really recover after much of our national wealth was sold off to line the pockets of the then in power conservative party! Thatcher et al!

and through repeated recession we have suffered , as has the rest of the UK , but Scotland doesnt have any real industry left , not like it was WW2 , post WW2 and post industrial revolution.

It all got shut down and sold off.

Its never recovered really , and that caused a lot of the problems that we see today. From the alcohol to the depression

its good that I actually linked Loki , because he wrote a book called "poverty safari" on the very subject of poverty in Glasgow.

The situation in Scotland in Glasgow is multi faceted.
and no easy solution.

Mate Ive never had to claim a benefit but im stuck on the lowest wage bracket, the government havent given me a pay rise in line with inflation since 2008 ten years of nothing for the same wages as prices rise around me.

I can only imagine what its like living on benefits , see when my girlfriend lost her job and her parents separated, I thought I was going to die ! but thank # I scraped by !

thats just me though , im sure there are those far worse off than I

rent prices are pretty steep actually , southside in govanhill , my mate just rented a single bedroom for 350 a month
but he split up wae his mrs and so will take anything, the landlords are out to gut people!

Subsistence living is hardly living the dream or from hand to mouth!

poor choice of words. but apt because it is a #ing dream , we are all deluded that this government have our interests at heart ! the whole lot should be abolished for failing to maintain a democracy or act in the best interest of the citizens !

Nuhhin but a shower ae bastards!

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I agree about government, heck here in the SW of England we are literally forgotten about, and the only real industry is tourism.
Minimum wage jobs for half the year, then tumbleweeds through town for winter.

Honestly mate, Scotland has it much better than us financially than you guys in Scotland, yet your social problems are much worse so it has to be a cultural thing causing that.
Even the worst parts of our biggest city (Plymouth) are safe nice places to walk through, and as I said, benefits do not cover rents here like they do in Scotland.

Scotlands social problems must be cultural because we don't see issues to the extent you guys do. On paper Scotland should be the land of milk and honey compared to us, for the factual reasons I explained earlier.
But it's not, and everyone seems to be blaming the government for violence and substance abuse.

Again, I agree the Baroness should not make a film about slumming it in a poor area, but the producers picked Glasgow for a reason, because the poor communities destroy their own environment themselves.
Swilly/North prospect in Plymouth is one of the most 'deprived' areas of the south west and the largest area of social housing, but I know a few people there and the crime is low, little vandalism, even new trees planted by the council get to reach maturity because little scrote scumbags don't tear them down.

Crime and social problems in Glasgow are the result of the community, not central government, especially when the government spends more money per capita on Scottish people than people in SW England.
I know you don't want to hear it but it is true...or there is something in the water down here which stops us disrespecting our communities and treating the place like a tip.
Scotland/Glasgow is no poorer than down here, and I would argue that poverty is worse in our rural parts due to cost of living and national rates of benefits, but there won't be a film of it on TV because we don't have the crime and dumped fridges/beds/burned out cars that communities up your way do.
The community needs to look at itself just as much as it looks for people to blame in London as far as I see things.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I see , so the real problem is Glasweigans not taking responsibility for their own life.

Im sure they would see it differently , in my opinion everyone is responsible for their own lives no matter what anyone else does to you , its up to you how you handle your life with regards to outside actions of others and influences etc.
however not everyone can think with reason as to the solution to their problems and in most cases will resort to crime or substance abuse to cope with the increasing anxiety , depression , and fear of failure.

However if humans are to rely on government for support , then we cant not blame them in part for removing our lifeblood and that is industry to support an ever growing community of people.

Say what ye like about Scotland being the land of milk and honey its definitely not the land of milk and honey as is evidenced by shows like the one you see ! , but to be fair it was the testing ground for Thatcherism
and the results are still in full effect today , and not only that being compounded by a new generation of Conservative wanks who think their policies are the solution to their wealth. By manipulating the public to villify the poor , whilst using them as an ego crutch , and also using them to make more money and increase the gap between rich and poor.

You can blame it on the people all ye like , it doesnt make it fact
but what we do know is fact, is the government of the UK have actively #ed Scotland over a barrell for decades
as well as the rest of the UK outside of London

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Mate, I knew you wouldn't like what I was saying but the facts speak for themselves. People are just as skint down my way (if not worse off for the reasons I mentioned) yet we don't have the violence and social problems like addiction, alcoholism and vandalism.
Welfare benefits are at a national (UK) rate, rents and housing costs are vastly lower up there than down here, you have free prescriptions, free university education, water charges included in your council tax and fully covered by local authority rebates unlike in England where they are seperate charges, yet still you blame government for your problems.

I say it is a cultural problem, and unless you can give me some figures to show how Scottish people are worse off when more money per capita is spent on your people, then sorry but you'll have little sympathy from me.

Why are Glasgow poor people so violent? Why do the poor areas in Glasgow dump their fridges and old beds on to the street? Why is there such an addiction problem in these areas?
It is not about money, I can tell you that, because we have just as much poverty as you guys do, we just don't have the social problems which are caused by the people in the community, nobody else.

There is this myth in Scotland that we are better off than you are, and it is absolute bull#, we just don't have the amount of scummy people being violent and trashing our communities.
Maybe it's a cultural thing, maybe it's the sea air living in a beautiful part of the land, but it is not about money.
I have many friends who live on the same benefit rates as people in Scotland (but with less money because of the high rents which are not covered in full by housing benefit), in council estates which are nice places full of folk who look after their environment.
No, any social problems aside from 'just being poor' are trhe cause of the individuals in the community who have no respect for each other or the place they live in.

I agree with everything you say about the Baroness in the OP, but if you ask me why Glasgow people trash each other and their environment then that is a cultural thing and the sole fault of people in the community who make those bad choices.

I don't mean to criticise, honestly, just point out some hard truths. So long as you blame poverty for all lifes ills then you will be on a loser because many many areas of the UK are just as skint but they don't have the social problems you do. The people need to change, just as much as anything else which is causing it.
Whining about the government alone is lame at best.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

Aye just like the yin about the gypsys
and benefits street, or the scheme , or any other show depicting the lower class

this is the same as that #in arse piece paris hilton , living with commoners
in her tv show , only to show herself up as a dolt without a smote of intelligence or common sense other than what is in fashion wise.

Please tell me how taking the daughter of a rich person and putting her next to the polar opposite is respectful
its a eye opener for better offs to laugh at and make themselves feel better about themselves !

"least we dont live like those rats in Bridgeton in manky auld Scotland"

If you want to raise awareness fine, scrap the #in show and use all the money to give to the needy in Bridgeton!
thats helping , not making a tv show which will only serve to mock the poor so rich people can expand their wealth and port folio!

^^^^**depicting the lower class**^^^^

MONEY DOESN'T BUY CLASS.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I have a friend in Glasgow, a single mother and she has a nice home, with

all that is necessary to live reasonably........ It didn't come easily to her,

she does three jobs.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia
MONEY DOESN'T BUY CLASS.

More money has been spent in Scotland than any other part of the island of Great Britain per capita, yet they still have more social problems than other regions.
The big myth is that all of it is caused by poverty, and I challenge that with my factual assertion that poverty levels are on a par down here in SW England with any area of Scotland.
We are even worse off down here with sky high rents, sky high water charges, and the same benefit rates to pay for it as anyone else outside of London.
Honestly, even the worst inner city parts of Plymouth are actually decent places to live, friendly people, strong community, big black market and 'non tax paying crime' but without the violence and trashing of the local area.

It is a cultural problem in Glasgow, not poverty. If it was all about how much money people had to spend then we'd be scummy area number one because our rents are so high yet benefit payment rates are on a national level. There are dirt poor folk in my parts, no work outside of tourist season, and a 40 minute bus ride to get to the nearest industrial estate for a minimum wage job.
The strange thing is though that folk down here don't whine and blame London, we get on with it and help each other while policing ourselves and stopping scummy kids ruining our environment with vandalism and violence.

The OP even seemed proud (to me) about how the Baroness should expect violence and need a guard for the filming of the programme.
I massively disagree with that mindset, and it gets pretty tiring reading Scots moan that the UK government cause the problems when other parts of the country experience the same issues but don't have the same levels of addiction and violence.

What does the UK government even control in Scotland anymore aside from defence and national benefit rates?
I say blame the Scottish government and the communities themselves for seemingly just wishing to be victims.
No community in Glasgow is any poorer than the poor in my parts. They are actually better off for all the reasons I quoted earlier...yet still they whine like victims about the scummy people in their estates being the product of the UK government.

No, sorry Scottish folk, it's time you took a long hard look at your communities and asked yourself why poor communities in other parts of the UK have less of the social problems you have, while subsisting on less money and government investment than Scotland has.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

Im sure they would see it differently , in my opinion everyone is responsible for their own lives no matter what anyone else does to you , its up to you how you handle your life with regards to outside actions of others and influences etc.
however not everyone can think with reason as to the solution to their problems and in most cases will resort to crime or substance abuse to cope with the increasing anxiety , depression , and fear of failure.

Everyone has an equal opportunities..... If they fail to use the opportunities

they can hardly blame others.

In yesterdays news a Syrian boy had gained a place at one of the top Universities

in England after studying in war torn Syria on a smartphone in candlelight for hours

at a time, as he is determined to study science. Notice that word determined.

He had no privilages.

However if humans are to rely on government for support , then we cant not blame them in part for removing our lifeblood and that is industry to support an ever growing community of people.

Say what ye like about Scotland being the land of milk and honey its definitely not the land of milk and honey as is evidenced by shows like the one you see ! , but to be fair it was the testing ground for Thatcherism
and the results are still in full effect today , and not only that being compounded by a new generation of Conservative wanks who think their policies are the solution to their wealth.

You have your own parliament in Scotland..... Sturgeon Salmond and the SNP. So

stop blaming Westminister.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia
Scots will still whine like it is the fault of London though.
They can't help themselves, they will blame London for their scrote youths who destroy a newly planted tree in a social housing setting before it reaches maturity. They will blame London because their scummy addicts steal the bag of chips off an old woman on her way home from the chippy.
It is lame as #, and while I agree with the OP about the 'baroness' I will argue the toss that we have just as much poverty in our areas but less of the social problems because we don't crave victim status.
Scotland needs to sort its own victim and violence problems out instead of blaming the rest of the UK for it's scummy people.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
Scots will still whine like it is the fault of London though.
They can't help themselves

In theory I agree with you however it cant be a typical Scot thing because....

**Michelle Mone **

Born on 8 October 1971, Michelle Allan grew up in Glasgow's East End. Mone is an only child after losing her younger brother to spina bifida. She went on to marry Michael Mone aged 19; 20 years later they divorced after having three children.

Career
Mone strived to return to employment and obtained a marketing job with the Labatt brewing company. Within two years she had risen to become its head of marketing in Scotland.She was made redundant by Labatt, prompting her to set up her own business. She has since admitted that she exaggerated qualifications on her CV in order to get the job.

While wearing a very uncomfortable cleavage enhancing bra at a dinner dance, Mone realised she could improve the design. Her stated aims were to create a bra that was both more comfortable and better looking, whilst enhancing more cleavage. Mone had read about a new silicone product while on holiday in Florida, and approached the company to obtain its European licence to produce bras.

en.wikipedia.org...

So she wasn't born with a silver spoon in her mouth!!!

Then we have Duncan Bannatyne another Glaswegian......

Bannatyne was born in Dalmuir west of Glasgow. As a child Duncan lived in one room with his parents and siblings in a large house shared with six other families. He attended Dalmuir Primary School where he displayed a talent for arithmetic and won a place at Clydebank High School after passing the Eleven plus exam. Most pupils owned a bicycle so he resolved to earn the money to buy one for himself.
The local newsagent was not interested in employing him so she challenged him to find 100 new customers in return for a paper round. He called her bluff by returning with 100 names, but later reflected that it would have been more entrepreneurial to have sold the list. He only enjoyed PE and woodwork at the High School and left at 15 without any qualifications.

Bannatyne spent his twenties moving from one job to another. Upon his return to Clydebank he trained as an agricultural vehicle fitter and then travelled around the country repairing tractors. He lived on the island of Jersey for four years from 1974 where he gained an HGV licence and earned a living through several jobs including deckchair attendant, ice cream seller and hospital porter. He also surfed, partied and met his first wife on the island. With Jersey's difficult business climate for outsiders, at age 29, Bannatyne and his wife moved to Stockton-on-Tees in North East England. He has stated that he was poor and did not have a bank account until the age of 30.

en.wikipedia.org...

Yet another born without a silver spoon in the mouth!!

Just goes to prove it CAN be done if time wasn't spent on whinging and moaning

"poor me" and more focus determination and application was applied.

edit on 17-8-2018 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join