It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama officer shot, killed sovereign citizen; video released

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   

may stop any person abroad in a public place whom he reasonably suspects is committing, has committed or is about to commit a felony or other public offense and may demand of him his name, address and an explanation of his actions.
law.justia.com...

Usually giving you name is enough.

Killed the crime of the attempt to return a stray dog to where is was found.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

In 2015, Dothan Police Department cleared their officer, Adrianne Woodruff, stating in reports that Lawrence had taken control of her Taser and was an armed threat.

But U.S. Magistrate Judge David Baker disagreed late last month, saying Lawrence did not flee and whether he ever had control of her Taser is a matter for a jury to determine.

Lawrence was not armed. In a closeup video, Lawrence can be seen grabbing the Taser as it is being used like a cattle prod to shock him. He was being held from behind by another officer at the time of the shooting. A third officer was pulling on his arm.

Let's see what a jury of reasonable people think of the actions.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bramble Iceshimmer
a reply to: notsure1

Because he refused to identify and / or didn't have a valid drivers license, it's the polices fault? Really. It's been pointed out time after time that the road side is not the place to try and practice the nuance of the law with police. Shut up, obey, stay alive and tell it to the judge.

Here in America, we don't need to show a driver's license or ID to a police officer unless we are operating a motor vehicle, at least in most states (I haven't researched Alabama's law on that).

The license, though, doesn't matter--this is about his blatant and constant resisting of detainment (no one ever said that he was under arrest) and fighting with police officers. Once that started, the dog and license are not the issue at all.

That in no way excuses the officer for shooting this guy, at least not with what I can see from the videos. Now, if it turns out that he was trying to take a firearm from an officer or doing something else that would be life-threatening, that will possibly alter my view, but from what is in the OP, this seems like a very unjustified shooting.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

If a person is claiming PTSD then this person shouldn't have a job where a firearm is carried and used.

While this is probably the most accurate comment in this thread, PTSD is not something that can always show up or can be diagnosed BEFORE it rears its ugly like in situations like this.

Hopefully it's not a cop-out defense trying to give a bad name to PTSD sufferers everywhere. Not all PTSD manifests itself in the same ways with the same scenarios.

Edit: Nevermind--I initially understood it to be that she was using PTSD to explain why she shot, not that she was suffering from it BECAUSE of the shooting.
edit on 17-8-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Ill be honest, I actually laugh now when I hear of cops getting shot. I myself would never commit violence but I smile inside everytime we get news of a cop getting killed.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I hate to say it, but if Mr. Lawrence did actually attempt to take control of a police weapon (yes, a taser is a weapon), then the shooting will probably be deemed justified and the officer acquitted in a court of law.

That said, it doesn't mean that this shooting had to happen, but fault lies on BOTH side of this equation, not just on the side of the officers.

That said, these officers obviously need better training on controlling suspects--that big-ass officer should have been able to control a smaller guy without much problem. Two of them should have been able to do it without question.

There was no need for a firearm to become part of this equation.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Slickinfinity
Ill be honest, I actually laugh now when I hear of cops getting shot. I myself would never commit violence but I smile inside everytime we get news of a cop getting killed.

Hopefully karma is a thing, then.

What an ugly thing to say as a blanket statement.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Why do they hire such fat unable to chase anything pigs ? Like seriously?

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

if Mr. Lawrence did actually attempt to take control of a police weapon (yes, a taser is a weapon), then the shooting will probably be deemed justified and the officer acquitted in a court of law.

Depending on what they were doing, he my be within his right to stop them by taking the weapon.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: Slickinfinity

Hopefully karma is a thing, then.

What an ugly thing to say as a blanket statement.

I don't feel bad because imo there are so few good cops and they won't say # about what they see.
I can honestly say that the police as a whole are out of control and corrupt to the point your life is in danger just by being in their presence.
Thugs with badges and nothing more.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I hate to say it, but if Mr. Lawrence did actually attempt to take control of a police weapon (yes, a taser is a weapon), then the shooting will probably be deemed justified and the officer acquitted in a court of law.

That said, it doesn't mean that this shooting had to happen, but fault lies on BOTH side of this equation, not just on the side of the officers.

That said, these officers obviously need better training on controlling suspects--that big-ass officer should have been able to control a smaller guy without much problem. Two of them should have been able to do it without question.

From the post and what'not… It doesn't seem to me that the Police had reason to get involved in the first place. I'm sorry the local dog-pound does not have the authority, right or just cause to detain someone and demand they stay on or in the facility. He was free to leave, with the dog even.

This shouldn't have happened.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
But you don't need a driver's license to vote.
Insane is right but sad more than anything.
No good deed goes unpunished.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Bramble Iceshimmer

That's all well and good, but maybe she could have tazed him? Or, ya know, anything besides jamming the muzzle of her sidearm into his guts and pulling the trigger point blank?
That was straight murder. In front of his entire family.
She made the wrong decision. I hope she pays for it for the rest of her life.
edit on 8/17/2018 by Slinki because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The police forces in the USA have changed since 9-11. The Bush administration turned them into anti-terrorist units, with most militarized. They view everyone as a potential terrorist and are on their guard with the potential for deadly force until they find out otherwise.

This will not change and will get worse if there is any escalation of resistance toward their actions.
edit on 17-8-2018 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
WHY didn't they focus on how the taser is used? Aren't these reloadable 1 charge tasers?

- Cop tases suspect
- Suspect reaches for taser (and is heard still clicking)
- Suspect is tasing himself as the cop blasts a hole in his belly

But... The cop felt threatened by a man with barely one arm free who's actually tasing himself with a taser that has to be reloaded to be used again... Which the suspect doesn't have additional charges for.

Most of all, the cop let go of the taser to shoot him.... Not because he got 'control' of it. He didn't have control if he was actively tasing himself, especially since the cop let go of it!

Man.... Some people. Why so much stupidity in that courtroom. The evidence is VERY clear.

- Illegal detention
- Excessive use of force
- Unwarranted escalation
- Murder 1

She shouldn't have PTSD with her back to the wall... Those kids and that guys widow WILL/DOES have PTSD. She should be rocking back and forth in a prison cell along with her backup for murder and the dept should be sued for millions PER child that had to see that.

I'm a former police officer and I agree with my statement...

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: CrawlingChaos

From the post and what'not… It doesn't seem to me that the Police had reason to get involved in the first place. I'm sorry the local dog-pound does not have the authority, right or just cause to detain someone and demand they stay on or in the facility. He was free to leave, with the dog even.

This shouldn't have happened.

It's a catch 22 law... One that has no basis but puts you in a pickle that you 'can't' get out of no matter what you decide. I'm betting something will change about this 'rule' or 'law' after this hits the supreme court.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Well, nothing will teach kids to hate the police more than watching them murder their father for trying to rescue a puppy.
Once upon a time, the police force used to be about protecting people... Now they're organized criminal enterprises staffed by thugs and psychopaths.
edit on 8/17/2018 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

No. He is correct. There is no honor in policing anymore. You want to be a hero? Become a fireman, nurse, or join the military. Police have been obsolete since the second amendment was written. They only exist to collect revenue for the state. Highway patrol, however, I have maaaaad respect for. Yes I know they are police but they are the best of the best and don’t have little d!ck syndrome.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bramble Iceshimmer

Because he refused to identify and / or didn't have a valid drivers license, it's the polices fault? Really. It's been pointed out time after time that the road side is not the place to try and practice the nuance of the law with police. Shut up, obey, stay alive and tell it to the judge.

So are you adovcating that non compliance is statutory death penalty

Hell yes its the poilics fault, lack of training maybe, over zealous use of firearm, i have said it many times the policing in the USA has become judge, no jury, executioner, phone mortician for a box, DISGUSTING

RIP to another innocent USA citizen

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

The cops in the US are ridiculous. You ever seen this from Heidelberg Germany?

Totally professional. One shot. She does point it at everyone scuffling with the guy for a few seconds after firing but whatever. The guy is taken down & She holsters her weapon.The point is, everyone in the area with a uniform did not whip out their gun and fire off a few clips. No pregnant women, minorities or random dogs were harmed, shot, Tasered or choked to death. I always wonder... How many people ever try to get revenge for something like this? And if they don't, why not?

edit on 17-8-2018 by crunchypeople because: forgot a comma

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join