It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More than 90 people overdosed on K2 in one New Haven park

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Since then marijuana is more accessible seeing as it's legal in parts of the country (that's one of my theories).

That is a pretty good theory...legal pot no K2 or other dangerous drugs made in the kitchen sink...

edit on 17-8-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
S#!!!

I thought you were talking about "K2", the mountain!! As in, the "Savage Mountain".

As a former climber, that one was at the top of the list for bad-asses. I could have never done that climb.

I liked many of the technical aspects of it, but the altitude at which much of that had to be done was just off the rails in terms of difficulty. At sea-level, many of the climbing moves would have been near impossible. AT 26,000 feet they are legend!!

I knew two guys who attempted it (in a team). Both failed...and I have the utmost respect for both of them!!

K2 is one crazy "hill" !!!!

I thought the same thing ....!!! I used to do some Ice climbing back In the day , and when I Read K2 , I was thinking mountain peaks .

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Really makes you wonder when you realize it's literally impossible to overdose on regular marijuana. As soon as big pharma gets their hands on it though, it becomes pure poison.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

It's illegal in dozens of it's illegal forms in Michigan, and was mostly found in gas stations and party stores.

I've gotten the HELL beat outta me on Emergency 911 calls while trying to transport crazed users who thought I was Satan, Dracula, a demon, a zombie, scratched, hit, spit and thrown up on.

Kids...just PLEASE, PLEASE...stay away from all these types of synthetics and fake fentynal....I already have enough bruises trying to help only to see it abused again and again.

Thank you all.....MS/EMT-ERT

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 06:20 AM
link   

I heard about this a few months back. They lace the marijuana with fentanyl which is a narcotic pain medication from what I heard at that time a small amount could easily kill you and narcan will have little or no effect

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Doctors prescribe them, but people hook themselves.

Narcotics are supposed to be used only for pain you cannot bear, not simply taken because you have them every four to six hours until they are gone.

Some people abuse them, sure. Hell, I might even give you most.

But plenty of people aren't doctors and have never fooled with drugs, so they don't know better.

Are you telling me that at the rate doctors prescribe them, no one will take them as directed and get hooked?

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

I'd say a good amount of people resort to the legal synthetic stuff because it's accessible and they're under the impression it's safe because it's legal.

Ironic, because you can't overdose on marijuana, yet that's illegal.

Maybe that is why it is illegal, Because it won't kill you.
I would try and argue that, but considering doctors still prescribe and hook people on opiates during an epidemic it makes it hard.

Doctors prescribe them, but people hook themselves.

Narcotics are supposed to be used only for pain you cannot bear, not simply taken because you have them every four to six hours until they are gone.

If anything, a doctor could only be faulted for prescribing too many at once, but even so, people are the ones who aren't taking them correctly -- "as needed."

What you say is true for the most part, but there is a small group that are in constant, chronic pain, heck, maybe that group isn't small, I don't know for sure..
edit on 17-8-2018 by pointessa because: typo

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I am saying that if you take them one every 4 to 6 hours until you take them all, your chances of getting hooked are much, much higher than they will be if you only take one when you can't tolerate the pain. The 4 to 6 hour bit is assuming you will be in constant, intolerable pain.

Too many people seem to be wusses who want no pain at all, not intolerable pain that needs easing, or even just a level of discomfort they could likely live with.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   

I remember smoking K2 in 2008-9. Not a proudest moment. From what I remember at the time, there were restrictions put on it and it became harder to get in my area. Or at least that's what I was told at the time. Are we even sure this is the same thing? Or perhaps it's a similar product and morons figured "# it/ do it".
edit on 17-8-2018 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: pointessa

I don't know, but I do know that I went through a frozen shoulder with no pain killer at all by necessity (chronic migraine - narcotics exacerbate them). If a person can handle that level of constant, chronic pain for months, then there is a lot people can live with when tested although I'd cry if my other shoulder started developing the condition. I don't want to ever do that again.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Guarantee they didn't just wake up one day and decide to take K2. They worked their way up to it. Drugs are illegal for a reason people.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I am saying that if you take them one every 4 to 6 hours until you take them all, your chances of getting hooked are much, much higher than they will be if you only take one when you can't tolerate the pain. The 4 to 6 hour bit is assuming you will be in constant, intolerable pain.

Too many people seem to be wusses who want no pain at all, not intolerable pain that needs easing, or even just a level of discomfort they could likely live with.

I'll agree and even go as far to say they need to stop being called pain killers, and we should also start calling anything related to pain "pain management". I agree, some things need to be coped with, not suppressed.

But there are doctors out there who over prescribe, and if they say take one every 4 to 6 hours some people will do that just as they would follow the direction for antibiotics.

But again, I'll agree with you many people knowingly abuse it. But all doctors hands are not clean on this one. (many are though however)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Idn bro. Young people do dumb #. I remember being at a party and even though we had drugs and booze, the majority of the party lit up k2 and we experimented together.

It's a lot older of a known drug now so more people are aware of the effects... because of that, I can see why you'd assume harder drug use. I just don't think it's a sole contributor.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Guarantee they didn't just wake up one day and decide to take K2. They worked their way up to it. Drugs are illegal for a reason people.

They worked their way up to a legal drug with what?

And yes, drugs are illegal for a reason. Generally they go off of a formula of risk of addiction/dependency, medical benefits, danger to body.

Marijuana has arguably no risk for addiction (though users can become dependent), plenty of medical benefits, and mild side side effects to body (little to none if it is not smoked).

Caffeine by definition is a drug, so is alcohol.

But in a "free" country, people should have the liberty to smoke a damn harmless plant if alcohol doesn't fancy them.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: starviego
Spice was invented in government labs with funding from the National Institute of Mental Health. Just so you know where your tax dollars are going.

No it wasn't...

John W. Huffman at Clemson University developed the synthetic cannibanol to study genetic receptors.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
All forms of synthetic marijuana are illegal in Texas. It was on convenience store shelves for maybe a few months a several years ago, and then the state shut that sh*t down.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: SteamyJeans
Apparently this isn’t the first time there have been “ mass overdoses” of this synthetic stuff.

Here we have 95 people in the same park more or less freaking out on this gas station crap.

The k2 synthetic grass is already bad enough then Supposedly it was laced with fentynal this time.

It’s really a shame.
It’s been happening around here with opiates like crazy.

I Hope all you Michiganders vote for legalization this
November. 👍

Source

"We're getting another call of a person," Alston said. He quickly helped coordinate the response, and then returned to the microphone. That scene occurred the same day that 76 people were believed to have overdosed on some form of K2, or synthetic marijuana, officials in New Haven said. Officials responded to 19 additional reports of overdoses on Thursday, bringing the total to 95 cases, according to Rick Fontana, New Haven Emergency Operations Director.
One thing I always try to tell people is that K2 is NOT synthetic grass, at all. It’s not a synthetic version of THC, the main psychoactive chemical in maryjane. If it was it would not be dangerous. www.drugpolicy.org...
edit on 17-8-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
It’s not synthetic grass. I half suspect that the campaign to brand it as such is a propaganda attempt against the real stuff.
edit on 17-8-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jrock272

I heard about this a few months back. They lace the marijuana with fentanyl which is a narcotic pain medication from what I heard at that time a small amount could easily kill you and narcan will have little or no effect
That’s what’s scary, is that could happen. What kind of insane person laces weed with one of the strongest opiates out there and not tell them?

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist

originally posted by: Grimpachi
I have seen some people on that stuff. It makes them act like the old reefer madness propaganda depicted.

Crazy world where that stuff is legal and weed isn't.

That's because politicians drag their feet and succumb to lobbyists.

The law can make a synthetic drug illegal, so they just change the compound. They could fix it, but it is taxed and isn't popular.

Lots of misinformation in this thread. I could have sworn the DEA enforcement of the analogues act, put forth in 2011, was nationally enforced and restricted the sale of all synthetic analogues of currently controlled substances?

Is something wrong with my assumption?

I suppose it may be state specific and not national
I think it’s illegal in ny.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join