It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More than 90 people overdosed on K2 in one New Haven park

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Apparently this isn’t the first time there have been “ mass overdoses” of this synthetic stuff.

Here we have 95 people in the same park more or less freaking out on this gas station crap.

The k2 synthetic grass is already bad enough then Supposedly it was laced with fentynal this time.

It’s really a shame.
It’s been happening around here with opiates like crazy.

I Hope all you Michiganders vote for legalization this
November. 👍

Source

"We're getting another call of a person," Alston said. He quickly helped coordinate the response, and then returned to the microphone. That scene occurred the same day that 76 people were believed to have overdosed on some form of K2, or synthetic marijuana, officials in New Haven said. Officials responded to 19 additional reports of overdoses on Thursday, bringing the total to 95 cases, according to Rick Fontana, New Haven Emergency Operations Director.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Don't have K2 problem in Washington state...just saying

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I have seen some people on that stuff. It makes them act like the old reefer madness propaganda depicted.

Crazy world where that stuff is legal and weed isn't.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Don't have K2 problem in Washington state...just saying

in nevada we had that stuff everywhere it was a rampent problem untell jan 1 2017 than everyone just stoped buying it odd huh

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

I'd say a good amount of people resort to the legal synthetic stuff because it's accessible and they're under the impression it's safe because it's legal.

Ironic, because you can't overdose on marijuana, yet that's illegal.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
I have seen some people on that stuff. It makes them act like the old reefer madness propaganda depicted.

That's because politicians drag their feet and succumb to lobbyists.

The law can make a synthetic drug illegal, so they just change the compound. They could fix it, but it is taxed and isn't popular.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: markovian

in nevada we had that stuff everywhere it was a rampent problem untell jan 1 2017 than everyone just stoped buying it odd huh

Same thing really strange

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

The law can make a synthetic drug illegal, so they just change the compound. They could fix it, but it is taxed and isn't popular.

Lots of misinformation in this thread. I could have sworn the DEA enforcement of the analogues act, put forth in 2011, was nationally enforced and restricted the sale of all synthetic analogues of currently controlled substances?

Is something wrong with my assumption?

I suppose it may be state specific and not national

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: markovian

Same thing really strange

There was a Vice documentary about it. K2 is a brand name for the synthetic drug, but there are different varients under the umbrella "spice" (or synthetic legal concoction). My city was one of the ones they looked into because of its prevalence.

Since then marijuana is more accessible seeing as it's legal in parts of the country (that's one of my theories).

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist

Lots of misinformation in this thread. I could have sworn the DEA enforcement of the analogues act, put forth in 2011, was nationally enforced and restricted the sale of all synthetic analogues of currently controlled substances?

I'm on my mobile or I'd hook you up with some sources.

But the CNN article in OP does talk about how it's a nation wide problem, some places more than others. The DEA has to make a compound illegal if it's a synthetic substance, and they constantly change it.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I'd say a good amount of people resort to the legal synthetic stuff because it's accessible and they're under the impression it's safe because it's legal.

Maybe that is why it is illegal, Because it won't kill you.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Spice was invented in government labs with funding from the National Institute of Mental Health. Just so you know where your tax dollars are going.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

I would try and argue that, but considering doctors still prescribe and hook people on opiates during an epidemic it makes it hard.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   
S#!!!

I thought you were talking about "K2", the mountain!! As in, the "Savage Mountain".

As a former climber, that one was at the top of the list for bad-asses. I could have never done that climb.

I liked many of the technical aspects of it, but the altitude at which much of that had to be done was just off the rails in terms of difficulty. At sea-level, many of the climbing moves would have been near impossible. AT 26,000 feet they are legend!!

I knew two guys who attempted it (in a team). Both failed...and I have the utmost respect for both of them!!

K2 is one crazy "hill" !!!!

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

I would try and argue that, but considering doctors still prescribe and hook people on opiates during an epidemic it makes it hard.

Doctors prescribe them, but people hook themselves.

Narcotics are supposed to be used only for pain you cannot bear, not simply taken because you have them every four to six hours until they are gone.

If anything, a doctor could only be faulted for prescribing too many at once, but even so, people are the ones who aren't taking them correctly -- "as needed."

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist

You are correct, but there are some loopholes so it is sort of state to state with enforcement.

I feel like the big point though is the fact that a generally harmless plant for adults containing tch is illegal in most areas so people resort to crap like this.

Just legalize the naturally derived substance everywhere. Let adult people choose to use it as long as they do so responsibly, and keep it away from still developing brains unless for medical reasons like seizure control.

Use the proceeds for education and drug awareness. Win, win.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

Analogues are illegal if sold for human consumption, hence "bath salts", "incense", and "research chemicals".

There are some specific compounds that were made illegal, but then the chemists just make another analogue, or they say they reformulated the product but in reality they're still using the same stuff. For example many of the early synthetic weed blends contained JWH-018 which was later banned and they said they removed it. Testing, however, showed that many blends still contained JWH-018, among other specifically banned chemicals.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Which shows that clearly, the people in charge of making laws on these matters are NOT concerned about our health, when deciding what is legal and what is not. Not a hard guess to what they ARE concerned about.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Roxxo

That's the problem.

It's very easy to simply tweak a synthetic a tiny bit to make a completely "new" compound that is now legal.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
they also have to find witch batches have it ... sometimes the "bathsalt" really is just that and only the guy behind the counter knows what jar is real

they can bust the shop keep but how can u prove he knew what he was selling when its in a sealed container with a real company name

cant go after the company everything there doing is legal in there contry

when it comes to desiner drugs you really cant stop it there not made in the usa cost practicaly nothing to make or ship to the usa and are practicaly undetectable a drug dog cant sniff out something that didnt exsist last week

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join