It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mozilla / Firefox goes all in for EVIL

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

"Social Responsibility" is just your code word for censorship. I don't want my information filtered by some jackass that thinks he knows what is okay for me to see. I can make up my own mind and you don't have a right to tell me what is okay to see and what isn't and neither do corporations or the Government.

This isn't freaking China...not yet anyway.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Clearly you can't, because you have a long history of quoting websites of questionable reputation.

Government is unwilling to step in and do anything because of first amendment concerns. So, when news organizations lie by outright making things up what should society do? There should be an expectation that the media we see is being honest but when you have state run propaganda like RT being openly aired in the US, held on par with a legitimate organization like CNN, it creates a conflicting message. When InfoWars and Reuters are portrayed as equal, people lose the ability to distinguish between fact and fiction.

Among other things, this makes our nation mentally weak and prone to making poor decisions.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

No man... Metallicus IS right. There is A HELL OF A LOT wrong with pilfering personal information. That's a serious issue of privacy. The problem is, privacy, the word, the definition, the act, is so watered down today that so few people give it much thought. Those of us that do know damn good and well that all hope of privacy is lost.

Example (just a tiny one of so many):

ATS abides by a new law that no longer allows you to use an alt. From now on, you, Billy Madison, now has to portray your real information on any forum you go to. No, it's not far fetched. This actually was a major concern not all that long ago where this very thing came up for debate....

So now, Billy, I have your name, your address AND your phone number because you no longer have privacy. Hell, I can get so much information on you based on a reverse lookup of pretty much anything... Number, IP, whatever. Considering I want to spend the money.

One day, you post something online that I really don't like. I decide to retaliate. Hell... I have all your info. I can do all sorts of nasty crewel things to you. Ever heard of Swatting? That's some serious stuff right there that can easily get people killed that have NOTHING to do with it. I can ruin your life. I can hack your facebook page and pretend to be you and ruin your life with just one post.

Privacy is a serious issue. Most people wouldn't even put their true feelings on a forum if their real name was attached to it. We'll pretend just like we do when we're face to face with the public. Privacy is the last stand of self preservation. You can't make me believe otherwise.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

I'm actually in favor of eliminating anonymity on the internet in most cases so I'm not the right person to make that case to. I think your real name should be attached to anything you write (with a few exceptions for whistleblowing).

When it comes to the issue of data protection, that's a separate issue that requires legislation for data ownership. I'm very much against companies harvesting and selling your data. In fact, I think the practice should be outlawed, and we instead look to revenue models like crypto mining on webpages/software while in use as an alternative revenue model to data harvesting and/or advertisements.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

On all of what you said, we can agree. Though that information is already in place but it's not being protected. You are attached to your IP. I personally feel that people getting to the point of using VPNs to hide that information is because of the security flaws and selling of information. It's retaliation to protect ourselves and until those privacy holes are filled and people are protected as well as their privacy, it's necessary and I hope it keeps getting better.

On top of that, the only way one (anyone! FB and Google included) should be able to obtain that information is through a court order by way of a warrant and ONLY when you've done something suspected illegal. The same protections you're 'supposed' to have in real life and on the street, but also included on your virtual life and the virtual streets.

Yeah, I want bullying someone to death online to be illegal but I don't want my posts and likes being made public unless I give someone specific permission (and not by TOS) and my name should never be known unless I did something wrong and a warrant is used to get my info by authorities.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I switched over to Opera because Firefox loads so damned slow. I haven't had any real problems with it.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
I switched over to Opera because Firefox loads so damned slow. I haven't had any real problems with it.

The problem with Firefox and Chrome is that all those addon extensions have been slurping IP addresses and webpage URL's to whatever server the author decided to send them to:

www.theregister.co.uk...

Some of these servers were in Germany. So if you were doing research in a particular field, the Germans and who else would know what areas you were researching.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   

CNN, a cesspool of deliberately fake news

This stupidity invalidates your entire post.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

I think that trying to enable the end users to protect their data is a losing proposition. Some will harvest data illegally, some won't have the technical skills to do it, some won't care, others will be tricked into what they think is protection when it really isn't.

There's a lot of reasons why personal information and metadata should be protected, but I don't think it's reasonable to hold the individual responsible for it, just as we (mostly) don't hold the individual responsible for damages from identity theft now. This needs to be done from government decree, and force companies to go along with it.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

CNN, a cesspool of deliberately fake news

This stupidity invalidates your entire post.

Why? To start with it's his opinion, and he ain't wrong IMO. So you are just going to dismiss the rest? Must be nice in that bubble.

ETA: I treat all your mainstream media like Wiki. A decent place to get a start. Then confirm it elsewhere.
edit on 18-8-2018 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   

You still think any MSM outlet is credible?

Hate to break it to you, but CNN/Fox/MSNBC are all a bunch of partisan hacks. "News" shouldn't vary based on the political slant of a specific network.

That's why I find new aggregation/citizen journalists far more credible and reliable.

...and public opinion doesn't dictate legitimacy of a news source. Providing verifiable facts, names, locations, events, times, and fully accountable stories is the way to ensure legitimacy.

At the end of the day, censorship of individuals is never the answer. Education RE: disinformation, promoting autonomy and common sense are though

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined
Scratch your ID chips off, cuz everybody owns em...

if you're that paranoid, run a virtual OS version of kali linux and read up on the wireshark tut.

but really, a _javascript blocker will work for a good bit of it, the rest if a madlibs book of " choose your own path "

the funnier part is, your data can be obtain indirectly by other means, it always is a matter of effort and value.
exactly yr metadata which u can't block.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns

You still think any MSM outlet is credible?

Hate to break it to you, but CNN/Fox/MSNBC are all a bunch of partisan hacks. "News" shouldn't vary based on the political slant of a specific network.

That's why I find new aggregation/citizen journalists far more credible and reliable.

...and public opinion doesn't dictate legitimacy of a news source. Providing verifiable facts, names, locations, events, times, and fully accountable stories is the way to ensure legitimacy.

At the end of the day, censorship of individuals is never the answer. Education RE: disinformation, promoting autonomy and common sense are though
. Bravo I'm just glade u added fox onto that list

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join