It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's military parade estimated to cost $92 million, $80 million more than earlier estimate

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: cosmickat

It's YOUR opinion. Other President's have done similar things on Veterans Day.

The 100th Anniversary of the end of WWI is kinda a big event, don't you agree?

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil
a reply to: cosmickat
The 100th Anniversary of the end of WWI is kinda a big event, don't you agree?

Is there a specified length of time one must memorialize old battles? How many generations are supposed to prostrate themselves over a now 100 year old battle end date before it's no longer necessary? As long as vets are alive? Would that mean the pomp goes on until the last living vet dies? That, going at the current rate of WW2 vets dying, should take about 2 more years.

What other battles from foreign soil and generations ago should we still be celebrating? That's not snark, it's an honest question.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Wait... don't you know it's the democrat mayor raising the cost?
Yeah I saw he tweeted that.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: StallionDuck

originally posted by: cosmickat
a reply to: pavil

Prove your own points.
And I will stick to my own....which is...
He is DIS honouring his country's own Veterans.

Being the big sulking douche that he is and taking a trip to look at France's parade because..poor Donnie can't get his own.

In a nut shell.

I'm a vet and I don't feel dishonored. I feel that the persons responsible for making it so bloody expensive to have a parade that is supposed to honour our troops are the dishonorable ones.

So.... If Trump visited Normandy instead, would that be more patriotic or would it be the same as visiting Paris?

Rhetorical. It's a trick question. Still, it proves my point.

Jeeze... You guys act like Obama did a better job. Wonder what he was doing on those days. Remember any of that?

Also rhetorical...

So if it's not a dishonor from him at the top of the Important People totem pole, why would not having a parade be offensive?

It stands to reason that if you're not important enough for the CiC to stay within the country ON Veterans Day, then what difference does a parade make at the end of the day? That you got the comfort of equally hollow lip service with a huge price tag?

Simple... Overpricing at the vets expense is offensive. It's like snake oil. If you're going to do it just to make money with little to no purpose, then it's pointless and dishonorable. I think the PoTUS seen it for what it's for.

I never said that NOT having it was a dishonorable thing.
edit on 17-8-2018 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I do absolutely agree the 100th Anniversary is a huge
"One of a Kind" event.

And regardless of what any of the past presidents have done or not done on previous Veterans' Days the fact that this 100th Year is such an special commerative occasion. .....
Well ....you would kinda think that the present POTUS might like to honour his own vets in the US

But just my opinion.

edit on 17/8/18 by cosmickat because: Spell check

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: japhrimu

Repairing the streets when the tanks tear them up.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

a reply to: StallionDuck

So you think just because you are an actual Veteran you know more than cosmickat and nyiah?

Your opinions don't matter to them....

Thanks for your service and post.

I don't speak for "Everyone" but I'm gonna take an educated guess that it speaks for a lot of us. So far, we've seen more done for us in this short term than has been over the last many years of dem and republican rule.

Hey, I appreciate that you appreciate us for our service. Anytime, my friend, anytime.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Prove your own points.

Being the big sulking douche that he is and taking a trip to look at France's parade because..poor Donnie can't get his own.

In a nut shell.

I'm a vet and I don't feel dishonored. I feel that the persons responsible for making it so bloody expensive to have a parade that is supposed to honour our troops are the dishonorable ones.

So.... If Trump visited Normandy instead, would that be more patriotic or would it be the same as visiting Paris?

Jeeze... You guys act like Obama did a better job. Wonder what he was doing on those days. Remember any of that?

Also rhetorical...

So if it's not a dishonor from him at the top of the Important People totem pole, why would not having a parade be offensive?

It stands to reason that if you're not important enough for the CiC to stay within the country ON Veterans Day, then what difference does a parade make at the end of the day? That you got the comfort of equally hollow lip service with a huge price tag?

Simple... Overpricing at the vets expense is offensive. It's like snake oil. If you're going to do it just to make money with little to no purpose, then it's pointless and dishonorable. I think the PoTUS seen it for what it's for.

Overpricing.

Like $50 million of the price tag being directly tied to the cost of the military moving all the troops and equipment for a day in the first place. Yes indeed, that's a tidy sum just to have a bunch of war toys hauled out with some uniformed folks to walk with them/operate them, isn't it?

Then there's city costs for paying the large amounts of security for securing their turf, repairing their turf, screening parade goers, cleaning up their trash, etc. If the military cannot legally secure their own crap on a public parade route nor the people attending it, that should speak legal volumes as to who's responsible for the cost of doing so, and therefore, the costs aren't unexpected.
Now, I'm just guessing at that, but I'm going to bet the military can't DIY there. However, if they CAN, why haven't they shown any numbers to say they can, and for less money?

Probably because it can't be done cheaper, and the city is merely the scapegoat to blame.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

a reply to: StallionDuck

So you think just because you are an actual Veteran you know more than cosmickat and nyiah?

Your opinions don't matter to them....

Thanks for your service and post.

I find it amusing that he's ignoring the comments of other vets in the thread that think it's a pointless waste of time & money, and speaking for all of them instead of just himself like he should be.

Me thinks you're putting words in my mouth. I said nothing of the sort.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

It will probably never get mentioned again.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Prove your own points.

In a nut shell.

Also rhetorical...

Overpricing.

Like $50 million of the price tag being directly tied to the cost of the military moving all the troops and equipment for a day in the first place. Yes indeed, that's a tidy sum just to have a bunch of war toys hauled out with some uniformed folks to walk with them/operate them, isn't it?

Then there's city costs for paying the large amounts of security for securing their turf, repairing their turf, screening parade goers, cleaning up their trash, etc. If the military cannot legally secure their own crap on a public parade route nor the people attending it, that should speak legal volumes as to who's responsible for the cost of doing so, and therefore, the costs aren't unexpected.
Now, I'm just guessing at that, but I'm going to bet the military can't DIY there. However, if they CAN, why haven't they shown any numbers to say they can, and for less money?

Probably because it can't be done cheaper, and the city is merely the scapegoat to blame.

It most certainly can be done cheaper.

Do you think that on any other day these troops and this equipment isn't going to be used for training or moving in some manner? Do you know how the military works? Do you think that if there isn't a parade, these troops will be sitting at a bar or something, doing nothing?

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Do you think that on any other day these troops and this equipment isn't going to be used for training or moving in some manner? Do you know how the military works? Do you think that if there isn't a parade, these troops will be sitting at a bar or something, doing nothing?

Then why would it be costing the military alone $50 million for one day of parading (no pun intended) everything through the streets?

If it's expensive for them, why is it a pearl-clutching offense for a city's tab to be not too far behind in cost?

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

last I heard tanks were the first thing scratched off the list because they would destroy the streets..

Either way its irrelevant now I heard this morning the cancelled the entire thing.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Yes. Last time in 91 the tanks and other heavy military vehicles tore up the streets which were already soft from high temperatures. They also had to remove lamp posts I assume was to allow them to turn.
edit on 8172018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Then why would it be costing the military alone $50 million for one day of parading (no pun intended) everything through the streets?

If it's expensive for them, why is it a pearl-clutching offense for a city's tab to be not too far behind in cost?

I don't know what ledge you dove off of or what refreshment you drank. I don't see the problem.

Dems were pissed that the parade was too expensive. Trump agreed. Now dems are pissed that he's disrespecting vets.

Man... you guys give me a headache. I'm certainly glad I have more important things to worry about that how you guys feel. I think the only ones who have a dog in this fight are vets themselves. Why would we need YOU to speak for us? I mean... Since I'm speaking for "all" vets, of course.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts
a reply to: RMFX1

Gibberly gobbily gook! Spelling Nazi and penny pinchers who seem to have no outcry about spending 500 million dollars for a silly presidential library for OBAMA! But Lordy, Lordy don't spend 92 million on celebrating our current innovative, brave and loyal military defense.

The presidential libraries are all privately funded. They don't cost the American people a penny .
It wasn't to celebrate our vets. It was a big toy for trump who loves the military. Just don't expect him to actually join or anything crazy like that...

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Once this moron is out well have plenty of pride.
Right now we have nothing to be proud of.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

A ticker tape parade is not the same as a military parade with tanks and big guns.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I don't know what ledge you dove off of or what refreshment you drank. I don't see the problem.

Dems were pissed that the parade was too expensive. Trump agreed. Now dems are pissed that he's disrespecting vets.

Man... you guys give me a headache. I'm certainly glad I have more important things to worry about that how you guys feel. I think the only ones who have a dog in this fight are vets themselves. Why would we need YOU to speak for us? I mean... Since I'm speaking for "all" vets, of course.

Pissed? Nah, I don't think so, they're just pointing out the logical disconnect of screeching that a parade is the way to go to show appreciation, and screw everyone that says it's expensive showboating.
But your CiC being abroad on your national holiday is acceptable.

The use of "disrespect", IMO, is supposed to help things click a little upstairs in the noggin. Dissing a wasteful parade "for the military!" No, wait, it's "for the people!" Ah, hell, no, it's really "for the military...." is supposedly disrespectful, but a CiC taking a trip thousands of miles away for a long-over war memorial is fine.
This does seem to be the general consensus in the thread among those for the parade idea (not you specifically)

The logic is a bit twisted at best as to what's a slap in the face and what isn't. Trying to say it honors soldiers of the past at the same time is...kind of dumb when we have Memorial Day, because that's what MD is supposed to be for.
edit on 8/17/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Pissed? Nah, I don't think so, they're just pointing out the logical disconnect of screeching that a parade is the way to go to show appreciation, and screw everyone that says it's expensive showboating.
But your CiC being abroad on your national holiday is acceptable.

The use of "disrespect", IMO, is supposed to help things click a little upstairs in the noggin. Dissing a wasteful parade "for the military!" No, wait, it's "for the people!" Ah, hell, no, it's really "for the military...." is supposedly disrespectful, but a CiC taking a trip thousands of miles away for a long-over war memorial is fine.
This does seem to be the general consensus in the thread among those for the parade idea (not you specifically)

The logic is a bit twisted at best as to what's a slap in the face and what isn't. Trying to say it honors soldiers of the past at the same time is...kind of dumb when we have Memorial Day, because that's what MD is supposed to be for.

Opps... Hit the wrong button before my reply.

Hey, don't disagree with you in that sense. Hell, the bigger the better. Show off like china if they want to. It doesn't make or break my pride. I do think that a monetary value on the military side is stupid when you think about it. It's like paying police for something that they're already getting paid to do. (see what I did there?)

I'm all for big fancy fireworks and drunken stupors, personally. If I don't get the fireworks, I can still damn sure get the beer. Vet's day is a paid holiday for me. What else would I need to ask for? Parade? Nah... My PERSONAL (I know you like it) point of view, it's not about how much you praise me or my actions because I didn't sign up for praise. Like most, I signed up for the sign on bonus and because I didn't have a damn thing else going for me, and like many young adult teens, I had no clue what to do with my life but party it away. Most recruits don't think about the dying part. However, I did join during Desert Storm. Looking back, I don't know if I was stupid or just blind

Either way, I did serve my country with pride (and at times, fear) and I was and still am happy to have done so. Being much (much) older now, I appreciate that I made the choice to protect (perhaps in symblance) the rights of MY people and the freedom of/for all. I know I at least protected the lives of many over there and that makes me feel good about it. Yeah, some people got hurt that shouldn't have but the cost of life would have been so much greater over time had we not done anything about it.

I don't need a parade to tell me I did good. If you want to spend a bazzilion doll-hairs on something that you say is supposed to give me respect, go right ahead. I'm sure the money allocated would have gone to something else far less deserving anyways. BUT.... I think it's pathetic that some (those involved in the pricing) want to put a price on it or do their best to milk the US coffers in the process. We all know how much toilet seats in the white house cost....

Personally... I'd say you would respect us more by raising a glass to us. I don't need a tank tearing down a road to tell me otherwise.
edit on 17-8-2018 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join