It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Majority of US newspapers don't attack Trump over 1st amendment concerns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
So I decided to have a little fun with the title. I did it #fakenews style. Because you can always spin something to mean something else. My title is accurate though. About 350 newspapers across the country wrote editorials decrying Trump's attacks on the media. There are about 1,300 daily newspapers in the United States, so about 3/4 of them chose not to go with this support group crap.

Of course this is part of the wider anti-Trump media narrative, claiming that criticism of the media is somehow an assault on Freedom of the Press. It's not. That's a lie. The First Amendment does not protect the media from criticism, even from members of the government. As this mass editorial clearly demonstrates, the press is still free to cover Trump however they want. In all fairness, the papers that didn't run this probably hate Trump too, so the fact that most of them didn't run it doesn't really mean anything, I was just trying out my CNN-style-headline skills.

Friendly reminder what the first amendment says, emphasis mine:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The president criticizing the media, no matter how over the top his criticism is (enemy of the people), is not an assault on Freedom of the Press. There's no threat to our democracy. This is not a First Amendment issue. The press is still free to criticize the president and hold the government accountable. We're still free to criticize them for bias.
edit on 16 8 18 by face23785 because: I suck at bolding stuff

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

So the MSM is criticizing the president because they can't criticize the president.

I haven't seen this much reee since the DNC Convention.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

If you think the media is above reproach.

Your part of the problem.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I used to love the Intercept until I started seeing obvious opinion pieces that weren't labeled as such. They still have some really good articles, but some of their "journalists" just pump out buzz word filled rants.

Here was their Thursday Trump article....

WHEN ADOLF HITLER came to power, after the Nazis had shut down all of Germany’s independent newspapers and magazines
The Intercept.

That's the first line. I stopped there.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

This was in the Kansas City Star today and if that wasnt enough they reported it on the local news showing the article and the headline and telling everyone they had to go read it..

The MSM is reaping what they sowed.

Now they literally have to beg people to believe them. But yet the morons on the left eat their anti American BS up.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: DBCowboy

I used to love the Intercept until I started seeing obvious opinion pieces that weren't labeled as such. They still have some really good articles, but some of their "journalists" just pump out buzz word filled rants.

Here was their Thursday Trump article....

WHEN ADOLF HITLER came to power, after the Nazis had shut down all of Germany’s independent newspapers and magazines
The Intercept.

That's the first line. I stopped there.

the morons in the MSM don't realize that ideologically, they're already like Hitler's media. They spout ideological drivel and toe the party line.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

This was in the Kansas City Star today and if that wasnt enough they reported it on the local news showing the article and the headline and telling everyone they had to go read it..

The MSM is reaping what they sowed.

Now they literally have to beg people to believe them. But yet the morons on the left eat their anti American BS up.

The funny part is, they think this is all Trump's fault. They don't realize the public already despised them and didn't trust them. Trump just realized that and took advantage of it.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

About 350 newspapers across the country

The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots. The demaslave is one who listens to what these idiots have to say and pretends to believe it himself.

REAL NEWS!

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Yep now they are just looking like a bunch of desperate cry babies..

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Of course this is part of the wider anti-Trump media narrative, claiming that criticism of the media is somehow an assault on Freedom of the Press.

Criticism of the media is one thing. The media should be criticized, just like the President. What I always find ironic about Trump supporters talking about "fake news" is that... well, they're Trump supporters.

You're not dumb. I assume you're not clinically insane. So you know that he lies constantly. You know that he bull#s all the time. And I'm pretty sure that if it was something more important than posting on the Internet, you wouldn't repeat any "fact" from Trump without vetting the information yourself.

What's more "fake news" than Trump?

It's not. That's a lie. The First Amendment does not protect the media from criticism, even from members of the government.

You're mistaken. It's entirely possible to assault the freedom of the press without violating the First Amendment. Just like it's possible to censor people without violating their First Amendment free speech protections. The First Amendment doesn't have any text about the executive branch surveiling reporters like the DOJ did under Obama/Holder in 2013 but I think any rational person can see how that's constitutes an assault on the freedom of the press.

Using your argument, if Putin was the US President and offing reporters, it wouldn't be an assault on the free press because the First Amendment doesn't say that the President shouldn't murder reporters.

That said, I think Trump's nonstop gaslighting is a much bigger threat to the sanity of his more susceptible supporters. You know, the people that dismiss as "fake news" every outlet or reporter he tweets about and get "news" from those he approves of like Hannity — or worse, turn to the fantasy world of "Q."

It reminds me of something I read about anti-American sentiment in the Turkish media recently. One of the state-controlled outlets was pushing a conspiracy theory in 2016 that Scott Peterson, you know the guy who is in jail for murdering his wife Lacey Peterson, was actually a CIA assassin who was a central figure in the Turkish coup attempt.

And I'm sure the people believing that # really felt "woke."

What alarms me is how Trumpism has fostered an environment where millions of Americans are apparently experiencing a mass psychotic break.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Trump isnt begging people to believe him.. They have to do a nation wide beg lol..

Its actually quite pathetic..

LOL the media is a joke .
edit on 16-8-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Responding to criticism of media bias by invoking "what about Trump" reminds me of this post.

I won't repost the whole thing but this is the critical part:

So that's the standard for the media now, with the high pedestal we've put them on? They're on a politician's level? That's acceptable? Politicians lie, we crossed that bridge long ago. And you know what, it's OUR fault for accepting that for so long that it's become the norm. In a perfect world, we need to fix that, but you've got to admit that's going to be extremely difficult because we've let it go so far. If we continue to accept the same kind of behavior from our "free press", they will become just like the politicians. And it will again be OUR fault.

Someday Trump will no longer be President. Do we really want a pattern set by then that the media can be just as dishonest as our politicians as long as we like what they're reporting? In these times where 100,000 people can see an inaccurate tweet from a reporter before you can blink, I insist they MUST do better. If media is supposed to keep government honest because we've abrogated that responsibility to them, WE THE PEOPLE at least need to keep the media honest.

edit on 16 8 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Yes, Trump lies. Does that make it right for the press to lie as well?

My neighbor does stupid things, does that mean it's OK to do stupid things?

It's OK, Trump doesn't like them, and they can't seem to report on facts without emotion thrown in. Most with common sense know about all this, both Trump lying and the media lying. The Trump thing isn't new, he's been like this for as long as he's been "Trump", and likely the media has always been like this, sucking Obama's teets and spitting on Trumps face. It's just how things are.

Hopefully a media company will realize there is a void of real news and come out to fill that hole.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
These 350 papers just proved that what president Trump has been saying about the US media is 100% accurate. They are anti America.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

The media is not the enemy of the people and it's important to stand up for free speech.
I cannot believe anyone is still behind this guy . He's trying g to turn this country into Nazi Germany with state controlled media. Silencing anyone who DARES to say anything negative about him and the sick part is I know you guys would NEVER stand for this kind of behavior in a democrat president. You'd be completely outraged and demanding something be done but you've all been hypnotized and tricked by this pretender. This loser.
I wish I could say I feel sorry for you but you kinda brought this upon yourselves.
The end is drawing near.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

That meme is about trump you know right?

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

The end is drawing near

How near? 6 more years?

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Newspapers , both physical and online , are soon to be extinct. As well as magazines
The news is full of these groups cutting people and wages due to lack of revenue
They have entered into the stage they feel they need to print anything regardless of fact. Desperation .
People are losing interest .
Gee , I wonder why ?

edit on 8/16/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

What alarms me is how Trumpism has fostered an environment where millions of Americans are apparently experiencing a mass psychotic break.

This. It's not something that can be easily fixed. You don't create trust overnight, but apparently you can destroy it in a heartbeat

Midterms coming up - I am not feeling good about them no matter what the outcome. If you don't believe in the system - the system is pointless

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Of course this is part of the wider anti-Trump media narrative, claiming that criticism of the media is somehow an assault on Freedom of the Press.

Criticism of the media is one thing. The media should be criticized, just like the President. What I always find ironic about Trump supporters talking about "fake news" is that... well, they're Trump supporters.

You're not dumb. I assume you're not clinically insane. So you know that he lies constantly. You know that he bull#s all the time. And I'm pretty sure that if it was something more important than posting on the Internet, you wouldn't repeat any "fact" from Trump without vetting the information yourself.

What's more "fake news" than Trump?

It's not. That's a lie. The First Amendment does not protect the media from criticism, even from members of the government.

You're mistaken. It's entirely possible to assault the freedom of the press without violating the First Amendment. Just like it's possible to censor people without violating their First Amendment free speech protections. The First Amendment doesn't have any text about the executive branch surveiling reporters like the DOJ did under Obama/Holder in 2013 but I think any rational person can see how that's constitutes an assault on the freedom of the press.

Using your argument, if Putin was the US President and offing reporters, it wouldn't be an assault on the free press because the First Amendment doesn't say that the President shouldn't murder reporters.

That said, I think Trump's nonstop gaslighting is a much bigger threat to the sanity of his more susceptible supporters. You know, the people that dismiss as "fake news" every outlet or reporter he tweets about and get "news" from those he approves of like Hannity — or worse, turn to the fantasy world of "Q."

It reminds me of something I read about anti-American sentiment in the Turkish media recently. One of the state-controlled outlets was pushing a conspiracy theory in 2016 that Scott Peterson, you know the guy who is in jail for murdering his wife Lacey Peterson, was actually a CIA assassin who was a central figure in the Turkish coup attempt.

And I'm sure the people believing that # really felt "woke."

Good gosh... have you put your toe in the "Collusion with Russia" waters lately?

As bad as the "fake news" (which I define as things being reported as facts, that are NOT so. They may get corrected... but they are corrected AFTER the expected hair on fire telephone system has done it's work.) "gaslighting" as you call it, IS... have you seen how deranged some on the left are about "!Russia! EVERYTHING".

So, heres the rub... just imagine for a moment, that THIS is what actually happened:

John Brennan started the entire !RUSSIA! story up, and some of those elements were ready to go, off the shelf, before Trump even announced. Why, even before Trump announced he was running?

Because no matter what happened, Hillary needed to win... because if she didn't there was a LOT of stuff to clean up.

Anyway, Brennan and his crew of merry pranksters, put pieces in place early on. GCHQ gave and assist, and WHATEVER story they ran with, it needed to involve a foreign government or entity (FISA... first word of that acronym being the operative).

There were a number of rotten players (we just found out more, recently, about how Bruce Ohr pipelined with Christopher Steele on the sly, because FBI fired Steele for sharing project information with media.)

We already know fluent Russian speaker and Russian expert Nellie Ohr, was working for Fusion GPS, in trying to gather information for the project "work product", (now referred to as the "dossier"). We also know Nellie Ohr was granted an Amateur HAM license (low tech SIGINT) in May of 2016.

Sure, stand alone, could be coincidences... but in the gathering gravity of the partly assembled puzzle, the "coincidences" are starting to push actuarial reality a bit far.

Media is culpable... you don't think so? Well, we've already seen the coordination with the Clinton campaign, DNC and media. We have all the messages. We've SEEN them.

Anyway... I could go on and on, but the fact is, anyone that wants to reconstruct the fact patterns which make up the puzzle which has largely been solved about !RUSSIA!, and shenanigans pre-2016 election, can find that unbelievable pieces of the puzzle and see where the gaslighting is really coming from.

To say Trump is gaslighting anyone... would require a frame of perception that the media is truthful, and the !RUSSIA! narrative is truthful. It's bullsh*t.

It's flip mirrored by the Obama monkey wrench crew, and there's actually tons of established information that PROVES the DNC and Clinton deliberately hired Russians for their operation. Talk about being gaslighted!

Anyway... most folks are pretty heavily entrained to cop to their own confirmation bias, especially if they only look for information sources that comport with that bias.

Some version of the tiny snippet I articulated above, will eventually be understood to be the actual facts, in COMPLETE opposition to the media narrative and gaslighting of the last 18 months or so, with the !RUSSIA! BS.

I don't expect to hear a "damn, you were right" from you or anybody else whose got Koolaid pigment poisoning.

So, whatevs I guess

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join