It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Penn Jillette conversation about Trump being misrepresented in the media

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
So recently Penn Jillette gave an interview in which, among other things, he discussed President Trump. That part begins about 12-14 questions down, although the entire interview is rather interesting in my opinion. They come back to Trump a little bit later and have this exchange (questions from interviewer are bolded):

Does Mark Burnett have tapes of President Trump saying damaging things during Celebrity Apprentice?

Yeah, I was in the room.

You’ve heard him say …

Oh, yeah.

Now this is being presented in the media with headlines like Penn Jillette says he was 'in the room' for Tump slurs, which gives people the impression Gillette said he heard Trump say the n-word. He says no such thing. In fact, he specifically declines to convey what he heard Trump say, so any speculation that he heard him say any particular word or phrase is just speculation. Notably, he himself stresses that it's not fair to take things said in the back room of a reality show out of context.

And boy, I hate to say this, but playing tapes of him doing that job might be unfair. I want those tapes to be used against him, but it might be unfair.

Because whatever he might’ve said was occurring in the larger context of being on a reality show?

Yeah. You have friends who would say stuff to you over supper that, if you pulled out that chunk, you could ruin their career. But you’ve known them their whole life. You know the exact context. Context is really tricky.

But isn’t there enough of an established behavioral pattern with President Trump that tapes of him saying racially or sexually demeaning things maybe fits into the larger context of who he is and what he thinks?

That is fair.

I would challenge that last part, because we have to take into account that the supposed past patterns of racist or sexist behavior have largely been debunked. The latest example would be the fake outrage of him calling Omarosa a "dog", which the media has been working overtime to try to present as somehow being racist and sexist, even though Trump has called a bunch of people "dogs" before, including white men. Mocking the reporter's disability was debunked; Trump has a history of using those gestures when describes non-disabled people. People pretended his remarks about a congresswoman coming to ask him for campaign money "on her knees" was sexist; and of course it was revealed he's said the same thing about men. He didn't call all Mexicans rapists. I can go on and on.

So without a real pattern of behavior beyond the imagined one that is repeatedly debunked, the context reverts to just guys talking # and joking around off camera. How many of us wouldn't be in trouble if such conversations we've had with friends or coworkers were recorded? As Jillette himself said, we've all said things in private that, if presented to our employer, would probably get us fired. That's just real life. Look at the first question in this interview:

You once said that magic in this country is “controlled by retards.” What were you talking about? And do you still think that?

My only defense for using that word [“retards”] is that I’m from Western Massachusetts — Annie Baker and I understand how that word is used there.

So is Jillette a bigot for using a slur against the mentally disabled? Or did he just use a slang word that used to be socially acceptable when used in a certain context?

I just love the phony outrage over the idea that someone famous used inappropriate language in private, like none of us have done that.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Not the first time the media has taken someone out of context. There's a reason that ancient aliens had a bigger audience than CNN in primetime this week.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Not the first time the media has taken someone out of context. There's a reason that ancient aliens had a bigger audience than CNN in primetime this week.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This is part of the problem of "gotcha" politics on both sides. Looking for someone to say or do something that could be taken out of context and spun into a negative light. In fairness, both sides do it.

True story. I go to Martha's Vineyard often for vacation. MV attracts a lot of well connected and wealthy folks. You will often see the who's who of business, entertainment, and politics there. One of the nice things though about the island though is that it is very low key in that culturally, it isn't flashy/showy and people are generally "not on" meaning they tend to let their guards down while vacationing. It is nothing to see a CEO, a federal judge, TV personality, etc or an entertainer just sitting on a bench licking a ice cream cone or god forbid picking a booger or something. Just real people stuff. No paparazzi or entourages around.

Anyways, long story short. I attended a fundraiser and it was a comedy skit show. Basically, people did improv/sketch comedy. A lot of the participants were politicians, judges, academics, attorneys, business folks, etc. Many of them are pretty prominent and well known their fields.

At the show, the organizers were pretty serious about videos and photos being taken mainly because they didn't want the photos/videos to be used against the participants. Some federal judge dressed up like a woman doing a sketch or someone telling some off color joke, etc.

It was pretty eye opening when you consider that some of these people are attempting to do something good by raising money, but their actions could be taken out of context and spun against them politically to ruin a career or political ambitions.

Anyway, just some food for thought.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
By the context it's pretty clear that Penn wasn't referring to the mentally disabled.

Also fairly clear is that Trump was getting back at Omarosa.

Trump has a history of abusive behavior. You say he doesn't. But we can look at his tweets to see how much of a bitter old man he is. He loves people one moment. Then he's calling them names the next.

However this isn't a big deal compared to what he was doing with Bill Clinton and Epstien on pedo island.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

LORD...the desperate parsing of words in defense of the Cheeto Tyrant.

While you look for what the definition of "is" is...

Your desperate defense has already expired.

Tom Arnold last night:

Tom Arnold says he also heard tapes of Trump saying N-word -- and more
www.syracuse.com...

Tom Arnold Claims Donald Trump Called Son Eric The ‘R-Word’ On Alleged ’N-Word’ Tape
www.huffingtonpost.com...

edit on 16-8-2018 by soberbacchus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: soberbacchus

Oh Tom Arnold said so, so it must be true!

But wait, I heard someone say they heard Tom Arnold use the n word, then say he was going to make up a story about trump doing it!

So I guess you defense is tired and worn out!

Or....

All of this in all sides is hearsay and shouldn’t be taken seriously without proof

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Meh. I call people retards all the time. I use it to describe normal people acting stupidly. Kinda like lgtbqxyz hijacked the word gay, and Islama/homophobia is misused. A phobia is a fear....not a dislike of something.

Its a soundbite world though. The world has been Twitterized.....anything more than 140 characters and peeps switch off.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Meh. I call people retards all the time.

I am not really shocked he used the word.
I find it revealing though that he described his own son Eric that way though to casual acquaintances.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

I don't know if it is true or not, but so far Tom Arnold and Amorosa have both said they saw or heard the tape and Sarah Sanders said in a press briefing she "can not guarantee" there isn't a tape of Trump saying the N-Word.

But wait, I heard someone say they heard Tom Arnold use the n word, then say he was going to make up a story about trump doing it!

What defense? Weird. What was I defending?

All of this in all sides is hearsay and shouldn’t be taken seriously without proof

That is hilarious. 99% of your OPs and posts are proof-free. Often logic free and fact free as well.

Looking forward to your new standard of requiring proof before commenting.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

The latest example would be the fake outrage of him calling Omarosa a "dog", which the media has been working overtime to try to present as somehow being racist and sexist,

This has little to do with the media. Calling a woman a dog is wrong. The peoples president calling a woman a dog is more wrong. The president calling any American a dog is wrong wrong wrong. The media only reflects this simple truth.

What is even more telling here is that when he spoke to her on the phone, when he still wanted to curry her favor he sounded like he still wanted to be her friend. ''I don't love your leaving'', yet hours later he is calling her a dog and all those other low life pejoratives he used.

The media made nothing up here, they were not adding spin. They were delivering news to the American public the words of a two faced president.
edit on 31America/ChicagoThu, 16 Aug 2018 13:05:41 -0500Thu, 16 Aug 2018 13:05:41 -050018082018-08-16T13:05:41-05:00100000005 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Or....

Isn't Tom Arnold the guy who claimed he has the Trump "peeing hookers" tape, and yet somehow has never been able to actually show it to anyone?

Forget a grain of salt, you need the entire bag when it comes to anything Tom Arnold claims.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

let me get this right, you're saying the Lamestream media distorts and lies to the American Public ?
Amazing!!!

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I haven't seen a shred of evidence anything Trump has said is racist. The media just keeps insisting that it is. Like calling Omarosa a dog. He calls tons of people dogs! What makes that racist? Calling Don Lemon "dumb". He calls everyone dumb! How is that racist?

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Strange

If I post all of these ops with no proof, you surely would have no trouble refuting them

You ar the one saying Arnold’s claims somehow disprove the defense of someone defending trump

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

So where is the tape?
And what was the concept of the "N Word" being uttered?

This looks like a lot of baloney to me. Tom Arnold is a creep.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I am sure it's the same elsewhere, but in the military, we called people horrible things....to their face. But it meant you were liked. If you left a base and nobody tied you to a trailer, dragged you around the flight line in utter shame, and drowned you in ketchup/mustard/toilet water/etc, it meant you had no friends.

It truly is about context.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

The latest example would be the fake outrage of him calling Omarosa a "dog", which the media has been working overtime to try to present as somehow being racist and sexist,

This has little to do with the media. Calling a woman a dog is wrong. The peoples president calling a woman a dog is more wrong. The president calling any American a dog is wrong wrong wrong. The media only reflects this simple truth

This is, of course, not true. The media is trying to present it as him being racist and sexist for having called her that. You can say it's wrong, it's impolite, he's an asshole. Those are all valid opinions. It's factually incorrect to call it racist or sexist though. These words have established definitions. They don't mean "he said something I disagree with".

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I am sure it's the same elsewhere, but in the military, we called people horrible things....to their face. But it meant you were liked. If you left a base and nobody tied you to a trailer, dragged you around the flight line in utter shame, and drowned you in ketchup/mustard/toilet water/etc, it meant you had no friends.

No snip! The good ole days.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

When I was in Qatar I was driving onto the flightline and some of the crew chiefs had taken a guy was about to head back to the states and duct taped him to a chair with a sign that said "I hate cops" and rolled him out to the entry control point. Needless to say the SPs got a kick out of it and were in no hurry to help the guy get loose.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join