It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid Gunphobes!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Yeah just like the guns Judge Dredd used that does the same thing. That kind of tech is beyond expensive and is difficult enough incorporating it into a handgun or rifle just for California.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarPig1939

Yeah just like the guns Judge Dredd used that does the same thing. That kind of tech is beyond expensive and is difficult enough incorporating it into a handgun or rifle just for California.

I've not seen a cost analysis of micro-stamping. Can you share where you got your information on the cost?

And California has a right to set the standards they see fit. That is a state's right issue.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Those engravings will wear out in no time. Plus a new blank firing pin from another state will defeat it. In most modern gun it only takes minutes to change out the firing pin, it's considered a replaceable part. Also a criminal can just contaminate a crime scene with fired casing from other guns. Unrealistic solutions! It just sounds good to those who know next to nothing about firearms.

edit on 16-8-2018 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

The problem is that the technology is wholly unreliable and prohibitively expensive. Each time a gun is fired, it wears slightly, leaving a microstamp unreadable after a short period of normal use. On top of that, it would be easy for a criminal to swap out microstamped gun parts for ones with no markings.

www.latimes.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: joemoe

Those engravings will wear out in no time.

The micro-stamp on the firearm, or the engraving on the casing?

How long are they estimated to last?

Plus a new blank firing pin from another state will defeat it.

Depends on the firearm, but I do not doubt that.

Also a criminal can just contaminate a crime scene with fired casing from other guns.

That was an issue that was raised when this was originally brought up.

Not really realistic solutions! It just sounds good to those who know little about firearms.

That includes firearm owners as well.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
a reply to: neo96

Those requirements would produce some rather interesting engineering problems.

Also, they wouldn't do anything but make guns more expensive.

i think that is the real point and objective. they are likely sure that these things can not be done. and therefore it's an end run around second amendment rights. "sure you can still have your guns. your guns just have to obey the laws, if they do not, you can't have it".

and just imagine he fun people would have if they had a firing pin mechanism to print that info they want on shell casings. as soon as it would start, people would start producing counterfeit mechanisms that gave out fake information. likely even using the forgeries to frame people. "you are convicted Mr Jones. we have all the evidence we need that your gun, which was in your possession, was used to kill Ms peacock. your fake alibi did not work".

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
The new requirements seem to be aimed(pun intended) at idiots and criminals.

The voters who vote the pols who support this noise into office and the politicians who embrace this pandering... I agree with you assessment and choice of words here.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

States rights - nation wide constitution. It was guaranteed every citizen of the United States of America would be able to have their rights to bear arms without limits like this. No one should be made to comply to this because California nor any other state in the USA is to create laws that would infringe on the premise of the 2nd Amendment which these new requirements do exactly.

www.ucdavis.edu...

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: generik

and just imagine he fun people would have if they had a firing pin mechanism to print that info they want on shell casings. as soon as it would start, people would start producing counterfeit mechanisms that gave out fake information. likely even using the forgeries to frame people. "you are convicted Mr Jones. we have all the evidence we need that your gun, which was in your possession, was used to kill Ms peacock. your fake alibi did not work".

Without the micro-stamping information being publicly-available, I do not see how they could frame people with it.

They could try to taint a crime scene by planting casings from a previously-fired firearm, but I do not think they could do what you describe.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

When I draw a gun, its likely to be life and death. If in my panic i release my magazine rather than throw my safety, I don't want to die.

Its a terribly stupid design for people who use a weapon outside of a gun range.

link   

States rights - nation wide constitution. It was guaranteed every citizen of the United States of America would be able to have their rights to bear arms without limits like this. No one should be made to comply to this because California nor any other state in the USA is to create laws that would infringe on the premise of the 2nd Amendment which these new requirements do exactly.

www.ucdavis.edu...

States have the right to regulate firearms up to a certain point.

link   

originally posted by: joemoe
Loaded chamber indicator and magazine disconnects already exists and are practically useless. Microstamping wound easily be defeated with a file or changing the firing pin. People who make these laws know noting about firearms. These things will do nothing to stop murder especially if the criminal is already ignoring the fact that murder is illegal!

and with that, rational thought is pretty much spot on. Safety and less dead people is the goal (as far as I'm told), so anything that might save a life is worth investigating. But we have to be realistic and not do things that are easily altered. It becomes pointless before it starts.

I do think we are a society should be educated in the things we seem to be passionate about, and with this topic. the detractors rarely are. That needs to change.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

I did not say they were a problem. I said many firearm owners know little about their firearms.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

www.ucdavis.edu...

These requirements go way beyond reasonable regulation and into infringement of said rights.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   

If the goal is to catch only the most stupid people, this idea may work. At an enormous cost to me when I make more firearms purchases that include this technology. If the goal is to solve murders, however....its a system easily hacked by bending down to pick up your brass. In light of that, i find it ridiculous that I should be asked to pay an increased retail price without there being a reasonable offset in public safety.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   

www.ucdavis.edu...

These requirements go way beyond reasonable regulation and into infringement of said rights.

I can agree with that, but that does not negate the rights the states have.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

www.ucdavis.edu...

I can agree with that, but that does not negate the rights the states have.

I would love to hear what the Supreme Court has to say on this particular subject.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

its a system easily hacked by bending down to pick up your brass.

Don't expect pundits of the idiocracy to grasp that concept.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

The micro-stamp on the firearm, or the engraving on the casing?

Microstamping is usually done thru the firing pin on to most likely the primer, therefore the stamping. Firing pins gets worn as you shoot your guns. My most used pistol a Glock 19 which gets multiple 1000s of rounds a year had its firing pin changed twice already over 5 years. Engraving the actual casing will do little and is difficult. Many avid shooter reload their own ammo and will buy used brass anyways

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join