It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid Gunphobes!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Explain it to me. How any of these requirements would have stopped ANY mass shooting?

First, new guns must have an indicator that shows when a round is loaded in the weapon’s chamber. Second, new guns must have a magazine-detachment mechanism that prevents the gun from discharging when a magazine is not in it. Finally, the third provision “requires new handguns to stamp microscopically the handgun’s make, model, and serial number onto each fired shell casing.”

Sieg Heil California!

Everyone's favorite judicial hacktavists upheld this snip.

I wonder how much this is going to add to the overall price firearms have placed on them. Then I can't wait for it to be retroactively applied to what's already manufactured for decades.

Unsafe legislatures should be banned.

Making snip up as they go along.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Those requirements would produce some rather interesting engineering problems.

Also, they wouldn't do anything but make guns more expensive.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Anything that would microscopically stamp words on a shell casing would have to be on a firing pin. So it would be on the primer, not the casing, and firing pins break. this is some asinine BS.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Explain it to me. How any of these requirements would have stopped ANY mass shooting?

It's 2 separate issues. You're not going to stop mass shooting. The new requirements seem to be aimed(pun intended) at idiots and criminals.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Not a single reasonable proposal. What on gods green earth would having a weapon incapable of firing a round without a magazine do to prevent a mass shooting? It could only fire one round at a time for gods sake.

Whay kind of pricey gizmo would have to be added to a handgun to emblazon its identifiers? Useless idiots just cant figure out how to take peoples ability to defend themselves away, so they come up with more and more stupid ideas, so the can sleep at night.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

A law that requires purchase of a nonexistent product is a violation of the 2nd.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Who either buy them out of the trunk of a car on a street corner, and print one.

It does nothing useful.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Loaded chamber indicator and magazine disconnects already exists and are practically useless. Microstamping wound easily be defeated with a file or changing the firing pin. People who make these laws know noting about firearms. These things will do nothing to stop murder especially if the criminal is already ignoring the fact that murder is illegal!

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Sounds like another case of feel good busy body legislation passed by people who know absolutely nothing about what they're talking about.
I could see the stamping part possibly being usefully to law enforcement investigating crimes, but that is a lot of information to stamp "microscopically" at the stress levels in firearms. I would thing the engraving cutting edges would wear out in short order.
Some people shoot thousands of rounds a year through their guns.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I have a ruger LC9 that has two out of three of these now. There is a small rail that pops up if a round is in the chamber, and it will not fire without the magazine in place.

I honestly don't see this as a bad thing, other than the cost increase that might exist. If shell casings had identifying marks, some crimes might be solved quicker or when they otherwise may not have.

I think rather than trash bin this idea, some rational thought should be put into it.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

Easily for people to shoot 10,000 rounds a year and that's not even trying very hard. I shoot 200 - 500 rounds almost every weekend, so not hard at all.

edit on 16-8-2018 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Meanwhile in California on an urban bad part of town, "You ready my n***a? We gon' roll up on dis spot and bussum caps off on dis muthaf***a" - fully auto pistols bought off of a dealer on the corner.

Police arrive later on the scene and a couple of dead bodies to haul to the morgue and no hard evidence

Registered gun owner - got them locked down under beaurocratic paperwork and a laundry list of requirements and virtually zero 2nd amendment rights.

Liberal policies at work
edit on 16-8-2018 by WarPig1939 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

yeah, I shoot upwards 1300 every weekend

link   
a reply to: network dude

I think rather than trash bin this idea, some rational thought should be put into it.

Already have.

It doesn't take a law degree to figure out how to police ones brass.

link   

Finally, the third provision “requires new handguns to stamp microscopically the handgun’s make, model, and serial number onto each fired shell casing.”

Anybody know how much a machine setup to microscopically engrave shell casings would be?

I sense a very strong secondary market dealing in fake engraved bullets.
edit on R562018-08-16T11:56:41-05:00k568Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Firearms are such old and reliable technology that trying to solve it with more technology is not really going to work. These days I can make a "ghost gun" in my garage with 80% frame or CNC frames in a matter of hours as long that I have the other parts ready on hand. These laws will do little to stop crime, criminals mostly use illegal guns anyways. Also what happens if the crime scene is sprinkled with once fired shells that can be easily obtained from any gun range?

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
This is a requirement that has been on hold since around 2008 or so.

Technology was not up to the task at the time, but I think it has finally caught up.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa

Finally, the third provision “requires new handguns to stamp microscopically the handgun’s make, model, and serial number onto each fired shell casing.”

Anybody know how much a machine setup to microscopically engrave shell casings would be?

The "engraving" occurs when the gun is fired.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa

I think it means the guns stamp it when its fired.

So you'd still put another stamp if you fire black market ones....

Or do you mean leave other ones at a scene and pick yours up?

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   

The first two seem at least feasible to do, still utterly ridiculous. The last one is just completely and totally #ing idiotic.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join