It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aretha Franklin, Dead at 76

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The Queen of Soul is gone, what a sad day for the world. I'll miss her like someone who was part of my life.

Franklin's rep confirmed to AP News that the performer died at her home in Detroit on Thursday, August 16.

www.msn.com...
www.refinery29.com...
edit on 16-8-2018 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

She was truly f****** awesome!! I had a bunch of her albums on vinyl as a teen and loved her style. That line of hers, "Don't you blaspheme! Don't you blaspheme in here," has been in my vocabulary for probably 30 years. It's funny, me and a mate used to dance to this film and could quote almost every word. He died just a few weeks ago and it reminds me of good times. We loved our heavy metal and we loved some Aretha Franklin.

I reckon everyone with a pair of ears will have a memory of Franklin at her best. I've nothing but great memories and great times with her as a soundtrack. Top lady.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I realize she was so much more than just that one movie, but damn, did she kill it. Her voice and her ability to make it enter your soul was legendary. I'm glad she isn't in pain anymore, but sad that she is gone.

Truly one of the greatest ever.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I've nothing but great memories and great times with her as a soundtrack.

That's the best thing we all can say about her. Please someone in heaven let her know it.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Sad day!
R.I.P.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I'm absolutely with you on that one. Charisma flowing in a scene full of charismatic actors - she nailed it.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

how do you make John Belushi and Dan Ackroid look like extras? Bring in Aretha.

And you have to love Blue Lou, waiting for permission.

edit on 16-8-2018 by network dude because: bad spler

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

It's one of the best ever movies imo. "If the # fits wear it."

Not many of the cast left either. Very, very few Franklins left in this world. Legends all.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Glad I read the thread first. Love that scene. She's had the best female voice I've ever heard. Sad day.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I heard the news on xm radio this morning, sad day.
Aretha came to Cincinnati 2 summers ago and I wanted to go soooo badly. I asked everyone but all my stick in the mud married friends didn't want to go. Now I regret I didn't just go alone.
RIP Aretha, forever a legend !

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

She was truly f****** awesome!! I had a bunch of her albums on vinyl as a teen and loved her style. That line of hers, "Don't you blaspheme! Don't you blaspheme in here," has been in my vocabulary for probably 30 years. It's funny, me and a mate used to dance to this film and could quote almost every word. He died just a few weeks ago and it reminds me of good times. We loved our heavy metal and we loved some Aretha Franklin.

I reckon everyone with a pair of ears will have a memory of Franklin at her best. I've nothing but great memories and great times with her as a soundtrack. Top lady.

That was one of my favourite songs from the blues brothers that whole scene is so great.

Ah man
she really had one of the best voices so much power behind it.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Sad but not unexpected.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

RiP Aretha , music is eternal.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Best musical ever.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Damn, that sucks, she was the definition of quintessential when it comes to music, there's never going to be another like her. She IS the foundation of modern music

originally posted by: horseplay
I heard the news on xm radio this morning, sad day.
Aretha came to Cincinnati 2 summers ago and I wanted to go soooo badly. I asked everyone but all my stick in the mud married friends didn't want to go. Now I regret I didn't just go alone.
RIP Aretha, forever a legend !

Slightly OT, but as a married person, I've been equally let down by you singles who couldn't be bothered to give up a bar night long enough to go to a show, too. NEVER rely on others to make your night, you'll always be disappointed unless you shrug it off and go anyway. In my case, I think my single buddies preferring to get drunk made the Ratt concert they bailed on that much better for me & my husband anyway. At least I knew damn well he'd appreciate the evening

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Music is universal. It is one method of communication that helps us be the social creatures we are.

There are singers, then there are the Greats. Something about the voice and ability to emotionally move you. Then there is all the stuff she did outside music. You hear it the family tweet. The stuff we as audience will never know.

We sing another Great One to the Heavens!!

Speaking of which, NASA, back in 2014, dedicated a newly discovered asteroid after her!

motherboard.vice.com: Aretha the Legend Is Gone; Aretha the Asteroid Orbits On.

We should have had her on the Voyager disk!

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

A guy at work today walks up to me and ask.......Is it true Aretha Franklin died today?......... I replied yes............He looked at me and said, damn that's too bad she had one hell of a voice. Pretty much sums it up for me. She had some serious talent. She could outright sing. RIP Aretha, heaven just got one more great voice.
edit on 16-8-2018 by Tarzan the apeman. because: Had to be done.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   

A class act.

RIP, Ma'am.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Aretha Franklin - At the 1995 Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame

The Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame, well deserved place to be. RIP

top topics

join