It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It is not working

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Just some random thoughts after golf today.

Unfortunately most people to not think about our military men and women dying in a far away land as statistically less than one percent of Americans serve in one branch or the other.

We are going on 17 years in Afghanistan with many estimates saying we have 30,000 troops posted there.. The last thing I heard was that the Taliban now controls 60% of the country.. Of course they do not control the Poppy fields..... or Afghanistan would not be the number one producer of Opium in the world.

Afghanistan is a tribal society and anyone who thinks they can make them into a "Mini Me" is just plain wrong and stupid unless you want to decimate the population and start a breeding program ..

I do realize there are companies and individuals getting incredibly rich with the war... but still, I had hoped Trump and Mathis (whoever) would get us to heck out of there.. I see no shining light at the end of this crap laden sewer pipe, unfortunately.

Iraq makes the news ever so often with troops killed or bombs going off in the capital.. Iran is now one of Iraq's best friends and no telling who else. Again I had hoped our new leadership would have pulled the plug and got our troops out of there..

Nothing to say about Libya as it is toast now after our intervention other than to say the war has not stopped for those who live there..

Syria... IMO if Russia had not intervened and stepped up their attacks on ISIS they (ISIS) would still be a force to reckon with. Yes Trump redouble the efforts to eradicate ISIS which has actually had some effect. Better late than never for if the past USA regimes methods would have continued ISIS would be able to focus exclusively on the Syrian government, Iran, and Russia unless they tried to pass some imaginary red line in the sand next to one of our officer's clubs..

I had a friend, A-10 pilot, and even posted his letter a couple of years ago (3 or 4 ?) about being on station in Syria and not being able to get clearance to fire on a huge oil convoy or even a ISIS troop convoy.. To say he was pissed and wondering why he was there would be an understatement. He is a better man than me for I would have hung up my guns or had an inadvertent discharge of my weapons...Oops..

I suppose I could continue but it will do no good other than for me to vent. For those who took the time to read and understand my frustration thanks. I do not like seeing anyone (especially our troops) killed needlessly to enrich some sociopaths.

There were millions marching and protesting during Vietnam due to the draft IMO. Just about everyone knew someone dead or permanently messed up from that war. If a war is worth fighting it is worth winning IMO otherwise stay the heck out of other countries and CIA regime change dreams..

I am glad I came back without being a crispy critter or missing important pieces of my body. No PTSD or hate for me but I did hang up my guns for Uncle Scammy and never looked back.

P.S. I just went back through and read this post....I won money at golf today so I have no idea why I am in a black mood ? Maybe a hormone or something ?

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I started to articulate my reasons to agreeing with your attitude but all I can say is, ditto.

Edit: Americans are fools to let this pattern continue after the light of day has shown on all the lies we have been fed.
edit on 16-8-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

We are going on 17 years in Afghanistan with many estimates saying we have 30,000 troops posted there.. The last thing I heard was that the Taliban now controls 60% of the country.. Of course they do not control the Poppy fields..... or Afghanistan would not be the number one producer of Opium in the world. ... but still, I had hoped Trump and Mathis (whoever) would get us to heck out of there.. I see no shining light at the end of this crap laden sewer pipe, unfortunately.

I read a fantastic article in the NYT last week that was saying the same thing. It tracked an infantry unit based over in the Korengal Valley up to 2010. You can read it here - War Without End. Must have spent a good hour reading it and it was time well spent.

Over a trillion in dollars has been spent over there and it's hard to say the money and the lives have been worth it. The Taliban is losing power which is one great outcome. Kabul is blinking into the 21st Century and that's another. I've read more and more people have moved to Kabul which takes away the power of the backwards feudalism offered by the Taliban. Not all futility, but in my own mind I can see benefits and very little to celebrate.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 02:19 AM
link   

I have no idea why I am in a black mood ? Maybe a hormone or something ?

Maybe you are in a black mood because knowing that we are still sending our soldiers over there to protect and die for some neo-con scheme after all these years should put us all in a black mood.
Obama didn't stop it and neither has Trump,for all the posturing of both of them. Yeah, that's part of many of my black moods.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

The Taliban is losing power which is one great outcome.

Wishful thinking. But the exactly opposite is happening there right now.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

It's very hard to quantify imo. On the one hand it seems despicable that we (the West) have waged perpetual war in the ME (and elsewhere) for over a century. One conflict after another, propping up one dictator and toppling another. Trillions and trillions funnelled away into all of our ironically named 'defence' budgets. Money that maybe could have been better spent on raising living standards or reduced taxes. We've arguably created the very armies (Taliban, Mujahadeen, IS) we send troops to fight against.

On the other hand, maybe someone needs to be pushed down for us to stay on top? If we stop warring maybe someone else (China, Russia, Islamic State-style blocs etc) brings the war to us? I just don't know. War won't stop when we stop, but there's absolutely zero suggestion that the West has any real ambitions for peace. Like I said, we've been going for over a century through peace movements, ceasefires, accords, different parties and through successive UN missions and ambassadors. I thought we'd have peace when the Berlin Wall fell and it's been worse...

originally posted by: DerBeobachter

The Taliban is losing power which is one great outcome.

Wishful thinking. But the exactly opposite is happening there right now.

It's what I've read. Taliban losing influence and majority of Afghans (unsurprisingly) don't want to live under an ignorant and ultra-conservative oppression.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 02:46 AM
link   
S&F and not much to add except opinion

Imho
Countries that are rich in resources are seen by the MIC as just another corporation that is ripe for a hostile take over. They ( m.i.c. ) are more than happy to spend a few bucks and waste a lot of lives for the chance to make some $$$
Politicians..even those at the top, don't have much influence when it comes down to ending this constant pursuit of the control of resources.

There is no protecting freedoms or saving democracy in these futile wars. It is just regional control.
TPTB don't gaf about the cost of a few million lives here or there..they don't pay that price.

Sometimes I hate this world

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 03:29 AM
link   

That's a fair point, if America weren't the world police another power would step up and do the job, and thinking about it that way I'm fairly certain I would prefer America to be top dog....

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Once again, here is a perfect example of something I've been saying well in excess of 30 years: Conventional war is not winnable in the shadow of nuclear weapons. It's just not. And, every single war which has been waged since 1945 is living proof of this. They're all just wasted lives of the bravest and the best society has to offer.

Korea
Vietnam
Some little island in the Caribbean
Bosnia
Kuwait
Iraq
Afghanistan

They all have accomplished...nothing.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

It's far from being a perfect system and yet it's better than any other serious alternatives. Russia is rated as one of the most corrupt nations with next to no freedom of the press and a partial justice system. China's social credit scores looks totally dystopian and I wouldn't want to live in any theocracy whether it was Islam, Protestant or Catholic.

We're the best of a bad lot which is a bittersweet notion. It's just very sad that successive governments deliver democracy and freedom via drone strikes and usurping the democratic processes of other nations. They always have and always will imo.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 05:21 AM
link   

P.S. I just went back through and read this post....I won money at golf today so I have no idea why I am in a black mood ? Maybe a hormone or something ?

You were comparing your good life playing golf with your friend's situation and you felt guilty.
edit on 16-8-2018 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Many ISIS fighters have fled Syria and have ended up in Afghanistan. The good news is the Taliban and ISIS are killing each other for control. youtu.be...

Presently The USA et al are negotiating with the Taliban to try and end the conflict in Afghanistan ..

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Debunking A Century of War Lies.. Yes it is a video but worth a watch IMO
youtu.be...

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Hey back-off man. There are a handful of people making bank on these wars. Stop wheezing their juice.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Surely you realize the only reason the US is still in Afghanistan IS the poppy fields. I may be wrong, but its my understanding that the poppy production is largely a CIA operation to raise funds to fuel the "black", off books, budget.

And the operation in Syria isnt about ISIS, its about countering Iran/Hezbollah.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

We don't fight wars to beat an enemy and win any more.

War has become business. We now fight wars to perpetuate war.

It sucks.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
When you essentially have a war economy; a war on terror is all inclusive and should be profitable for all those capitalizing on that industry. MAGA

www.americanprogress.org...

edit on 16-8-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Me too. The wall coming down symbolized the fall of Soviet Russia and an end to the half century hob goblin of Soviet Communism. There was the dream that that whole block would re-organize along western democratic principles and all would begin to get better, that the MIC would ratchet down expenses and monies poured into all of that could be used to better everyone's lives. So wrong. So shallow and understanding of international affairs.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Everyone knows the idea wasn't to conquer Afghanistan right? The idea was to stop it being used as a safe space for these people to train to come over here and execute mass attacks on our civilians. Do we think they just haven't wanted to do another 9/11-style attack in the last 17 years? They haven't because they haven't been able to. In that regard the mission has been a success.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
When you essentially have a war economy; a war on terror is all inclusive and should be profitable for all those capitalizing on that industry. MAGA

www.americanprogress.org...

"War economy" is propaganda. Our economy is not based on war. War is not "America's industry" or any of that other propaganda nonsense you guys like to float around.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join