It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Kinds of People Here on ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: DBCowboy

Agreed!

Oh, by the way, will be talking to my guy in a couple of weeks.

If you want the crab, let me know.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

It's not just at ATS, it's everywhere on the internet. There are a lot of people who have forgotten how to discuss ANYTHING without turning it into a political melee. For my own peace of mind I had to cut off communication with one of my own children for nearly a year because I couldn't comment about the beautiful weather without it being turned into a furious political rant. I still have one of my son inlaws blocked on all social media (he's a "keyboard warrior" on the web but relatively pleasant in person) to keep a peaceful relationship.

I am a "agree to disagree" sort of person. I can find things to agree and disagree with on both sides of the aisle. Most times if things get too heated I take a step back and remind myself that when people are so utterly convinced of their "rightness" there can be no true sense of debate or discussion. It is better to simply walk away with my integrity intact than allow myself to get caught up in the senseless turmoil. Maybe some may not agree with that but I can assure you I sleep much better at night!

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   

The physicist David Bohm (famous for his Pilot Wave theory) wrote a collection of essays on the subject of dialogue. I'm reading them now. He makes a lot of good points, and adopts etymological definitions for discussion and dialogue.

Discussion, being related to words like precussion and concussion, really has more to do with breaking down the opponents opinion(s), and 'one-upping' them. It's usually not constructive. The goal is to prove your own opinion to be the truth, rather than seeking out the truth for what it is, regardless of personal opinions.

On the other hand, dialogue, coming from the Greek words dia and logos really means through words or by means of codified truth. A constructive dialogue requires all parties to suspend their personal attachments to biases and opinions, so that bits of truth can be drawn from the river of collective thought. In order for that to happen, the parties involved must first identify their biases and opinions, then they must recognize that finding the truth is more important than being right. The best of us can't even maintain that level of continuous objectivity for more than a few moments. Therefore, it naturally follows that we overwhelmingly fall into the trenches of discussion, rather than enjoying the rewarding liberties of dialogue.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
I was just telling my SO earlier tonight that I am about done with ATS.
Been visiting since the dial up days...

Now, it's just mud pit, or thinly veiled should be mud pit turd slinging articles.

I remember when the "Deep State" was a shadow government. When ALL news sources were infiltrated and influenced by the CIA.

I miss the days of real conspiracy theory.

yep. it gets old.. people say be the change and write good threads . The problem there is I see alot of decent non political threads that no one is flagging.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
a reply to: notsure1

If politics were banned on ATS then we would be lucky to get two threads a day...

you been around a long time.. you dont think it can go back? MATSGA..

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   

You have a PM.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I'm always dismayed by people who give the impression that someone, or some power, is forcing them to read posts or threads, that they really don't want to read.

That's like me getting upset with Comcast Cable, because they have MSNBC. I don't like MSNBC, so I don't watch MSNBC.

ATS has content and members that annoys some people, but these annoyed people can't (for some reason) refrain from reading said content. So they get mad. That's not logical.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I think the two types of people are authoritarians vs libertarians, but maybe there are just many types of people on ATS. Boiling down individuals to two types is probably not going to be accurate. That being said I usually love your meandering posts about your ranch and other funny little life events. I hope you stick to those as those are the best contribution to the ATS community.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   

edit on 16-8-2018 by Ohthewey778 because: ....

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

There are 3 types of people on ATS!

Those that are good at numbers

And those that aren't.

What about those whose opinions span all five groups?

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Fruits and Nuts! Should about cover it!

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   
The mean spirited partisan majority has brought the nasty across the board, most communities on the net are unsafe from it. Sadly, now it seems adapt to that manner of communication or move on. Seen quite a few over the years do such.

What I've observed is the most "passionate" of the partisan discussion, often find they have personal issues, such as a family going on about political topics in a not so nice manor. Blowing off steam, so to speak, on the internet as an outlet of how they feel, a break from family and friends who are diametrically opposed to their thought.

Also, that the media is playing on the sides that exist, the conservative vs the liberal side, for control. The more the masses are focused on that, the more the people are not focusing on the control grid. There's a toxicity that lies in that one side must become extreme over when the other when they are faced with the other side's views.

The other part of the above is falling into taking their chosen side of media, an it's hyperbolic crisis about the other. In the past it was discussed but never taken seriously. The "my side is better than yours" rhetoric appear to be more fun.

I'm not a goer of the Mud Pit often, I expect the baseless name calling and don't want to turn into what many have when that is all they do. My opine is that name calling; shuts down rational thought, as it dissuades the side from replying in a fair and proper context.

Though, that is the intent of it. While prior to the current political swaying of the site, a nasty demeanor that was seen in various other topics from time to time, but seemed less common than now.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
If they banned politics on ATS I wouldn't miss it..

I've had times where I just left ATS for a couple of months because of the attitude some people display in threads.

It's not so much the devide between people but more the lack of manners and decorum that I find disturbing.

But a couple of days ago I saw this interview on a marketsquare in Turkey where people were noticing pharmacies running out of medication, people emptying their bankaccount etc.. some small business owner told that he had no idea what was going on because he didn't watched the news for the last two years because it was all lies anyways...

I guess when we stop caring somebody's agenda is working. So I guess ignoring it won't make it go away.

I believe there are indeed only two types of people on ATS...us and those with an agenda.

We have to stop with the devide, there is non.

Peace
edit on 2018pAmerica/ChicagoThu, 16 Aug 2018 03:28:27 -0500am312820188 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Oh, by the way, will be talking to my guy in a couple of weeks.

If you want the crab, let me know.

You're giving people crabs? How can I sign up?

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Since DBCowboy added a third... i'll have to add a forth

Those that don't give a S*** about politics

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I don't think I have ever intentionally berated anyone yet at least I don't think so but I believe in intelligent respectful discourse. I wouldn't ever call someone expletive something straight up.

I think people may get the "Whole World is Conspiring Against Me" attitude and lash out on edge as if it really was going to change the price of dirt.

I think that is a pathetic ding dong attitude expletive jones butthouse family having stupid muggle flugga scum of a beach!

www.youtube.com...

That was a joke! I'm not trolling but am a professional troll hunter, some people can't tell trolls and troll hunters apart at all.

hands down #TrollHunter not I repeat a troller trolling troll, thank you!

edit on 07/01/2017 by LostGods because: youtube discrimination

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I think the two types of people are authoritarians vs libertarians

And then there are those of us who believe a little authoritarianism can lead to greater liberty.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   

You always make my day. Serious post and well worth contemplating. I love ATS but it's been a hard lesson to steer clear of the baiting and devisiveness-just like the world outside ATS. One must work very hard not to be sucked into the poltical vortex. Love all the opinions here as it gives me a glimpse of the real world but love how one post like DB cowboy can bring it back down to what really matters.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Some people like to discuss issues, those things the whole world face. And some people like to place party over those.

I don't see that changing anytime soon unfortunately. Individualism is a naughty word these days for any mainstream ideology. God forbid we take the power from group think and decide things unpredictably.

That's all I got.

We mustn't forget that the one party we have now needs the rest of us non members and hopefully walk away's to challenge the liars. Individualism and personal freedoms are on the chopping block with the one party that has members who pretend they are opposition to help the one Uniparty.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 06:29 AM
link   

You forgot the conspiracy theorists. They may get political but maybe not. Look at the non political threads. They get massive flags.An example. I feel for those poor buggers that have to put up with our childishness.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join