It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Kinds of People Here on ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I debated putting this in mud pit, but I really don't have a single mean or partisan thing to say on this post.

After several years of duking it out with the various partisan factions here on ATS (one of the smartest places I know on the Interwebz), I've discovered there are two basic types of people or personalities. Partisanship aside, these two personality types apply across all political boundaries.

Before I define them I would like to say a word about partisanship in general; many of us feel very strongly about one political affiliation or the other. And many times discussions get heated, people get frustrated and words / insults get hurled (especially in mud pit). For my part I enjoy the fray much of the time, which brings me to the subject of this post (the OP).

There are far more than a few people here who have wildly different political views than I do, but with whom I would gladly welcome at my table, or gladly raise a toast to (grapejuice, coffee or wine) in celebration of our individuality. I enjoy debating many of these people as well, love turning the rhetoric around the other way, and just debating in general. Of course there are also a select few who are just plain nasty, people whom have no intention of friendly (or even heated) "debate", but rather those who lash out in anger. People who are petty, and unwilling to even read the other side's viewpoint. These folks make political discussion here on ATS hard.

I am convinced that some of these people post with the sole intent of angering or agitating their political opponents to the point of frenzy (whether professionally motivated or personally...either way, no matter). In the same breath there are those who, somehow we both know, we can agree to disagree, make our respective points and not inflict harm. In fact, I can honestly say, one of the people most diametrically opposed to my personal viewpoint I truly believe would be a good friend of mine in real life, even though we both know we vehemently disagree politically.

Political discourse is truly the way forward in the civilized world. I believe this anyway. I welcome opposing views to anything I post here. In the same breath, I take exception to the trollish folks who are bent on just inflicting pain and insults on others.

I don't expect to "boil the ocean", or solve "world hunger" with a post like this, but I truly do hope we can find a common ground where we can discuss our differences politically without resorting to violence and hate for our brothers and sisters.

That is all.
edit on 8/15/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   
A rational thought in a sea of mediocrity is a dangerous thing to have, my friend. Ask yourself, if you have figured this out logically, haven't others? Haven't the same people figured it out who still sew the discord among the population every day? The fuel for the hate has to come from somewhere. The ammunition has a source location. That is the face of true evil, my friend. Instead of looking toward the people that are confused or misled to fight among each other, look boldly at those who choose to create chaos and oppression through Hegelian dialectic and psychological warfare. If you are unsure of whom to blame, look no further than yourself. That's all you have control over. Sure Facebook has engineered our destruction for the almighty dollar, but we as a people chose to use it. We chose to collectively bury our heads in the social media sand as the world burned around us, not even noticing the apocalypse constantly photo bombing our false reality. Facebook pushed us into ghettos but we didn't look up, at least in time.

Or will we?

I never stopped looking.

There are two kinds of people, my friend. People like me, who realize freedom is an individual affair and predicated on every choice a human makes in their life. It can be lost and regained through choices, like a light switch, to multiple degrees. We safely give up many freedoms every day, but we lose when we begin to reach the cusp of despair. The point of no return.

Are we there, past or speeding toward this point?

The rest have no use for freedom. It is as foreign a concept to them as the highest mathematical principles. They believe they have it, but they do not even understand it.

What else really matters?

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Some people like to discuss issues, those things the whole world face. And some people like to place party over those.

I don't see that changing anytime soon unfortunately. Individualism is a naughty word these days for any mainstream ideology. God forbid we take the power from group think and decide things unpredictably.

That's all I got.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   

I strongly agree with your analysis.

The hate, negative argumentative comments and overall disrespect by some members, is so detrimental to the site, that in my personal experience, I have to stop reading many of these otherwise informative and interesting threads.

This trending and accelerating behavior (since my join date), just basically has to end, even at the expense of sequestering the big offenders. You can always get your point across without any negativity. People do it for attention probably more than anything else. Cut it out.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   

To me the divide is, people who enjoy civil discussion and debate. And those who are indoctrinated and inflexible in their views.

Certainly we all fall into both categories at times.

+14 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

There are 3 types of people on ATS!

Those that are good at numbers

And those that aren't.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I could make a politcal joke here, but I think I will refrain!

Funny anyway.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   
And what about those who don't give a rats behind about politics .

What about those of us who care more about Fukishima, earthquakes, solar storms.

?????????????

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

What about them?

They are just as awesome as you and I. Their content is equally valued, and equally interesting.

They are just another equal chapter of ATS.

They are..US.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Dbl. post

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   
If they banned politics on ATS I wouldn't miss it..

+22 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I could make a politcal joke here, but I think I will refrain!

Funny anyway.

You want serious?

We bicker and argue and fight and even get banned over things we have no control over.

People forget that the spouse sitting next to you, the children playing in the other room, the good dog at your feet, the food in your larder, the work that you do is the most important things on the planet.

We're only here for 80 odd years. If we're lucky.

Just live, love, laugh.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

I certainly would!!!

It's healthy.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Agreed!

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

originally posted by: notsure1

I certainly would!!!

It's healthy.
Maybe I would. Hopefully I will never know for sure

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I was just telling my SO earlier tonight that I am about done with ATS.
Been visiting since the dial up days...

Now, it's just mud pit, or thinly veiled should be mud pit turd slinging articles.

I remember when the "Deep State" was a shadow government. When ALL news sources were infiltrated and influenced by the CIA.

I miss the days of real conspiracy theory.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

If politics were banned on ATS then we would be lucky to get two threads a day...

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

All news sources are. At least I thought we all knew that. Even the ones that aren't are taking their cues from the ones that are, so it still mostly counts.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Politics is the new "conspiracy".

Modern technology has debunked many of the age old conspiracies, but politics remain. (because they are a REAL conspiracy). Even you noted "deep state". What is 'deep state' if not politics?

People resist change; it's understandable. We want it to be like the old days. Heck, I wish it was 1981 again, but times change...and we have to change with them. When we stop learning and adapting...we die.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Two types of people here...me and everyone else...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join