It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Andrew Cuomo shocks crowd, says America 'was never that great'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: Gothmog

a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I guess that’s true. We were “great” at slavery. We were “great” at treating women like second class citizens. We were “great” at forcing homosexuals to live a life of secrecy in the closet. We were “great” at our mistreatment of Japanese American citizens during WWII.

Great doesn’t necessarily mean good. Do we really want to be “great” again?

Yep . Everyone grows wise by looking at their mistakes...
The US as well
All that was put to rest
What Century do you live in ?

So, it was never really all that great, was it?

Well , I see you feel you never made a mistake
Folks learn by their mistakes
It is called "wisdom" . A wonderful thing. Perhaps you should try a sip ?

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Hes right. Slavery, rampant racism. Lack of healthcare. America never was that great!!

link   
Hes right. Slavery, rampant racism. Lack of healthcare. America never was that great!!

link   

originally posted by: BiffWellington
Depends on what you mean by "great". It's certainly been less than great to a lot of people both inside and outside its borders throughout its history. Of course it's been great for some people. Not so much for, say, American slaves, citizens of third-world dictatorships whose rulers were cozy with American business, and the residents of Hiroshima.

Dang , what Century is your reality based in ?
Or what Universe in the Multiverse ?
Sure ain't this one. Slave days have well been over and WW 2 ended some time ago.

So, in what century was American great for everyone? What century do we want to model to make it “great again”?

In what Century have you done well every single moment and not made any mistakes ?
A country is made up of individuals.Why should one be any different than an individual ?

So, America was never really all that great. Cuomo’s quote was true. Not Anti-American, or unpatriotic. Just a true statement. The slogan, “make America great again” is stupid, because America was never really all that great. Not for everyone anyway.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Okay, fine, if all you do is obsess about Identity Politics, then you can twist the meaning of what the slogan is for, and virtue signal to your hearts content, especially if you're still tuck in 1852 (Democrat's America). Yay "progress"!

edit on 15-8-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Depends on what you mean by "great". It's certainly been less than great to a lot of people both inside and outside its borders throughout its history. Of course it's been great for some people. Not so much for, say, American slaves, citizens of third-world dictatorships whose rulers were cozy with American business, and the residents of Hiroshima.

Sure ain't this one. Slave days have well been over and WW 2 ended some time ago.

So, in what century was American great for everyone? What century do we want to model to make it “great again”?

In what Century have you done well every single moment and not made any mistakes ?
A country is made up of individuals.Why should one be any different than an individual ?

So, America was never really all that great. Cuomo’s quote was true. Not Anti-American, or unpatriotic. Just a true statement. The slogan, “make America great again” is stupid, because America was never really all that great. Not for everyone anyway.

So , let me make this perfectly clear to you
That way I can say authoritatively I have fulfilled my duty to the ATS Motto - Deny Ignorance

Are you always perfect ?
Have you ever made a mistake ?
If you answer no , you are lying to yourself .
Individuals make mistakes.
Now , amplify that by 300, 000 , 0000
Make that a collective called the US
Lots of avenues for mistakes , right ?
We (as a US citizen) correct our mistakes.
How many other countries do ?

So , no country will ever be perfect to everyone all the time
Yet , the US in it's readiness to reform due to making these mistakes is one thing that makes the US great

Yes , the US is great and always has been.
Great does not mean "perfect" . We strive for it though
Some folks dont
So , go back and look deep within your "perfect little self" and realize the truth.
Duty to ATS fulfilled
Done
Next

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   

I’m just taking the slogan literally. Make America great again. Again? What does that mean? When was America great? Great? What does that mean? Great for whom?

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   

See earlier in the thread when we beat to death that "great" doesnt actually mean "good".

Now, since it has 'always' been so bad for those identity types, they were greatly offended etc the premise you present, "greatly" following the actual definition of "great" that is. And you lose again.

Just saying.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

America is great and always has been? Then why say “again”?

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

"Great" doesnt mean "Good", snarf snarf!

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Your argument makes the slogan even dumber.

Why would we want to be great but not good? Why not make America good for everyone?

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
what gets me is this "Make American Great AGAIN!!" the again, like gee life in the US was oh so much better, we were oh, so much greater, back then... usually I get the impression that the back then was back in the 50's and early 60's or something...
ya back when they had school drills teaching kids to hide under their desk in the event of a nuclear strike, as if that would have really helped any. ya know, back in the good ole cold war days, the days of the viet nam war. back when there was school prayer, although I just can't for the life of me remember a time when any school I went to had school prayers. back then when moms stayed home and dads worked and brought home the money??? only, that wasn't actually true for many families then either.
in so many ways, were weren't great then. in so many ways we aren't great now. some things might have been better back then, but some things were worse also. but I think that overall, we are better today than we were in the past. but, there always has been and is now, lots of room for improvement!!

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

If you dont understand what greatness is then you cant even begin to conceptualize your way through this discussion.

Just sayin'.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Then answer me this: what’s so good about being great?

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Joecanada11

Then MOVE!

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
but, there always has been and is now, lots of room for improvement!!

And THAT was the whole point of what Cuomo was saying.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
what gets me is this "Make American Great AGAIN!!" the again, like gee life in the US was oh so much better, we were oh, so much greater, back then...

Its about prosperity... in income, finance, education, etc.

Once upon a time, only 'one parent' had to go to work everyday and a family of four prospered. The education they got was top notch. They werent inherently prey upon absolutely by every institution they needed to / wanted to try to do business with to get themselves a prosperous existence.

BUT.... ZOMG!!! That "one parent" (that had to go bust his mofo ass every effing mofo day) was a MAN WTF!! Etc Identity Politics insanity grade finger pointing "PTSD" victimhood obsessionism BS.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Then answer me this: what’s so good about being great?

Hey if you're content in / you strive for / your whole concept of reality is bent on mediocrity, well then you're still not equipped to follow along in this discussion, apparently.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Are you able to read? I dont live there thankfully

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Well, two of my three examples were from the 20th Century You know, the one right before this one and the one in which most of us grew up? And one of those two is still pretty relevant to our foreign policy as of this week. The third occurred in the 18th and 19th, with negative aftereffects that lingered into the 20th and 21st.

And I'm pretty sure most of them occurred in this universe.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join