It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the Movie JAWS Help Solve A 44 year old Murder Case?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The movie JAWS is probably in my top three all time movies. I watch it every summer. Last week, I stumbled upon a great podcast, “Inside JAWS”, which tells the tale of how JAWS got made. It is an excellent podcast for any fans of JAWS or movie making in general.

In the last episode of the podcast, host Mark Ramsey mentions a hypothesis put forward by Joe Hill. Joe Hill is the son of Stephen King and are both huge fans of the movie and watch it a couple times a year. Upon yet another viewing, Joe noticed a detail that he believes could help authorities come closer to solving a 44 year old cold case.

Lady of the Dunes
A teenaged girl found the woman's body July 26, 1974. The remains were just yards away from a road and had a significant amount of insect activity. Two sets of footprints led to the body, and tire tracks were found 50 yards from the scene. The woman may have died two weeks before her body was found.

The victim was face-down on half of a beach blanket. There was no sign of a struggle; police theorized she either knew her killer or had been asleep when she died. A blue bandanna and pair of Wrangler jeans were under her head. She had long auburn or red hair, pulled back into a ponytail with a gold-flecked elastic band. Her toenails were painted pink.

Police determined the woman was approximately 5'6" tall (initially believed to have been 5'8"), weighed 145 pounds, and had an athletic build. She also had dental work — including crowns — worth $5,000-$10,000; dentists call it the "New York style" of dental work. Several of her teeth had been removed. One hand and one forearm were missing. Most sources say she was between 25 and 40 years old. However, she could have been as young as 20 or as old as 49.

The woman was nearly decapitated, possibly from strangulation; one side of her head had been crushed with (possibly) a military-entrenching type of tool. This skull injury was officially what killed her. There were also signs of sexual assault, likely postmortem.

Some investigators feel the missing teeth, hand and forearm indicate the killer wanted to hide either the victim's identity or their own.

Police pored through thousands of missing-person cases and a list of approved vehicles driven through the area; no matches were found. At the scene, the sand and beach blanket were not disturbed. No other evidence was found (besides the jeans, bandanna, blanket and ponytail holder) despite extensive searches of the surrounding dunes.

The woman was buried in October 1974 after the case went cold.

Possible JAWS Extra?
Hill had learned of the case after reading “The Skeleton Crew: How Amateur Sleuths are Solving America's Coldest Cases”. A few weeks after is when he noticed the extra in JAWS.

His theory? Before she died, the Lady in the Dunes may have appeared as an extra in the film, about a rogue shark eating his way through the waters around Martha’s Vineyard in Massachusetts.

Specifically, Hill highlighted a moment about 54 minutes and 2 seconds into the film during a crowd sequence set on the Fourth of July, when he spotted an extra — a fit, young-looking woman with brunette hair wearing a blue bandana — who bore a “startling resemblance” to a composite sketch of the lady herself.

Hill has acknowledged multiple issues with his “out there” theory, such as the extra not wearing the same type of Wranglers found with the lady. What’s more, he noted, blue bandanas were worn by six other women in the following sequence in the movie.

However, it would be no surprise at all if a girl summering on the Cape decided to take a few days to explore the Vineyard… especially with the added bait of celebrity to draw her in. He has been contacted by an FBI agent who has shown some interest in his theory. “There might be something in it. Odder ideas have cracked colder cases.”

Seems like a long shot to me but very interesting none the less. What if the ghost of the Lady of the Dunes haunts JAWS?

edit on 15-8-2018 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
no.
no it cant

and the lady dont look like the others to me

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Lady of the Dunes: Provincetown Jane Doe, Unforgotten #1
Listening in on the video now. Sounds like a serial killer case. Her gold crowned teeth were removed, but the case didn't appear to be a robbery. It mentions she could have been an immigrant from Ireland. Picked by the killer lessening the chance of someone looking for her, though the killer did remove her hands with a possibly of knowing she may have been fingerprinted. There was a similar murder in a marshy area, the woman also missing hands, etc.

There are dental charts and DNA available. She had extensive dental work done, may have even been done over seas.
With DNA these days, of course, might be able to get ahead on who she is and/or the murderer.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

With both cases that you mentioned both victims had high dollar dental work. Maybe a dentist is a suspect and maybe the teethe that were removed make the detectives job harder. And the hands being removed so no finger prints can be taken tells me that he wants to be found.
I know that was probably hard to read but I’m at work and typed this in a hurry. Sorry in advance

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

cool story dont buy it but cool story. roy scheider was a f... great actor!

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I don’t really buy it either but there is always the “what if?” factor that attracts me to these stories. Kind of what this site is supposed to be about, eh? This is the first time I’ve heard of the Lady of the Dunes murder. Either way, it’s an interesting read.
edit on 15-8-2018 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

I heard mention of this before...didn't know it was steven kings son who got the ball rolling on this story.......maybe not...but..you never know..stranger things have happened

new topics

top topics

join