It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump revokes security clearance for former CIA director John Brennan

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

It concerns me too. National security was breached, but it took entirely to long to sniff out the rats. Hopefully a legal deterrent will be forth coming!
edit on 15-8-2018 by onthedownlow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Everyone, I intentionally was a big vague in my OP to see who would begin to accuse me of being an "Obamaite". My concerns are that this is another break from the usual "norm" of allowing senior folks the keep their clearance for future consulting and transition duties.....ESPECIALLY after a firing. Our president is known for not following the established "protocols" and triggering his detractors. As for me, I am merely concerned that this will also be viewed as retaliation and be spun into another attempt to silence the media.

And for that one ATS member that assumed I have never had a clearance, guess again. But, nice try at a baseless attack on me and not the topic.

Frankly, if someone with a security clearance (regardless of level) is fired for breaches of that security, then revoke it before they even get to the door on their way out I say. If the firing is not security related, then having them available to legally speak about secure topic within that level would be beneficial to those taking over that role.

Like many issues, this is NOT black and white, left or right. There are many shades of gray and purple here that we should be discussing.

Please keep the personal attacks for the same topic in the mud pit forum.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
As for me, I am merely concerned that this will also be viewed as retaliation and be spun into another attempt to silence the media.

How on earth does this relates to silencing the media? revoking an EX CIA boss's security clearance?
Furthermore, if him having a security clearance contributed something to the media's reporting, then GOOD RIDDANCE. We have had one too many in-the-know folks who share confidential matters with the media. Personally I hope he is not the last.

Like many issues, this is NOT black and white, left or right. There are many shades of gray and purple here that we should be discussing.

I would love to hear a sound and logic explanation as to why Brennan should keep his security clearance if he's an ex CIA?
edit on 16-8-2018 by 1337Kph because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:55 AM
link   
If a person uses their clearance to gain knowledge and then uses that knowledge for material gains that is wrong. The idea that a lot of these ex Government officials are instantly on CNN MSM etc pay roll concerns me.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 04:11 AM
link   
The silencing media / free speech, silencing Brennan is nothing more than the left desperately needing something else to bitch about and nothing more. Brennan, nor any other government official with security clearance, needs to retain it when they leave. The incoming replacement can just read them in on something if they need their opinion / feedback.

Personally I think the reason the left is bitching is it cuts former officials off from the coup they set in motion when Trump won. It also cramps the lefts style when it comes to leaking information.

Any government official who leaves office should have their clearance voided.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   
What a crock of bull. This is nothing more than another attempt to silence critics. The intellectual dishonesty to paint it as something else is astounding. It's a bald-faced travesty. Kill the witnesses, plain and simple. Former officials retaining their clearances has been the norm for generations. Thin-skinned Donald can't handle criticism. He wants to run the country like a lemonade stand without any oversight or counterbalance. Look at his list of 'you're up next'. Are you kidding me? McCarthyism at it's best.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

How is removing a traitors security clearance akin to silencing free speech? Does Brennan need a Top Secret security clearance to talk crap about President Trump?

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508
What a crock of bull. This is nothing more than another attempt to silence critics. The intellectual dishonesty to paint it as something else is astounding. It's a bald-faced travesty. Kill the witnesses, plain and simple. Former officials retaining their clearances has been the norm for generations. Thin-skinned Donald can't handle criticism. He wants to run the country like a lemonade stand without any oversight or counterbalance. Look at his list of 'you're up next'. Are you kidding me? McCarthyism at it's best.

but then what else would you say? one trick pony.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Yup.

Now Brennan and others can't just get classified material at will (not that they could even with clearance) and broadcast their theories to the public and to enemies.

Brennan saying this violates free speech proves he is a mental case.

💥😃😃💥

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Brennan comes out swinging

John Brennan: President Trump’s Claims of No Collusion Are Hogwash

...snip...
The already challenging work of the American intelligence and law enforcement communities was made more difficult in late July 2016, however, when Mr. Trump, then a presidential candidate, publicly called upon Russia to find the missing emails of Mrs. Clinton. By issuing such a statement, Mr. Trump was not only encouraging a foreign nation to collect intelligence against a United States citizen, but also openly authorizing his followers to work with our primary global adversary against his political opponent

Such a public clarion call certainly makes one wonder what Mr. Trump privately encouraged his advisers to do — and what they actually did — to win the election.

While I had deep insight into Russian activities during the 2016 election, I now am aware — thanks to the reporting of an open and free press — of many more of the highly suspicious dalliances of some American citizens with people affiliated with the Russian intelligence services.

Mr. Trump’s claims of no collusion are, in a word, hogwash.

The only questions that remain are whether the collusion that took place constituted criminally liable conspiracy, whether obstruction of justice occurred to cover up any collusion or conspiracy, and how many members of “Trump Incorporated” attempted to defraud the government by laundering and concealing the movement of money into their pockets.

A jury is about to deliberate bank and tax fraud charges against one of those people, Paul Manafort, Mr. Trump’s former campaign chairman. And the campaign’s former deputy chairman, Rick Gates, has pleaded guilty to financial fraud and lying to investigators.

Trump has just opened himself up to another source of irritatation !
Well done

Now we'll see more reflexive kneejerking, leading to more ...
“erratic conduct and behavior,”
“frenzied commentary” and
“wild outbursts on the internet and television.”

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Cassi3l

Whats funny is he wanted that to happen. Trumps a troll dont ya know?

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

While I had deep insight into Russian activities during the 2016 election, I now am aware — thanks to the reporting of an open and free press —

So... Brennan at the top of the NSA, with an "at the top" security clearance ; Didn't really know jack snip till he read it in the newspapers ? I've heard this somewhere before... Anyway, sounds like a good reason to pull his clearance, if he wasn't using it then and he shouldn't be using it now... He has no reason to have one.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Wait so revocation of his clearance impacts his freedom of speech?

This could be a major # up by him and the media. Was he using his clearance to garner information he could speak about in his appearances? If not, how does him losing his clearance impact his free speech? This is either a blatant lie or admission of a crime.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

The previous custom is idiotic. When you leave the office, you should lose the clearance, period.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

The previous custom is idiotic. When you leave the office, you should lose the clearance, period.

Good. Keep that in mind in a few years.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Good. Keep that in mind in a few years.

I know I will

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Why would this matter? He's not getting a lobotomy.

Thank you for disproving the Democratic talking about. Brennans first amendment was not violated and he doesn't need his security clearance to spout off on tv. However it will put a cramp in his already missing credibility when he tries to talk about what Trump is doing without have classified info he could twist to fit he and MSNBC's agenda.

The reason you quote is the reason they retain it. In case their departmental memory is needed to assist a successor in a similar or continuing situation.

Not really. End security clearance for people who leave and allow their successors to just read the former in as needed for questions they have. There is no reason for former officials to keep their access. An example would be when I left one agency to work for a larger one. I lost my access to all cases I worked and access to all evidence. If a court issue came up I gained temporary access to the case file for court but not the evidence. Cases I was involved in that passed on to other officers / detectives when I left who had questions etc just called me up and discussed what they had.

Ass needed.

The same can work for the federal government.

[

No one conspired to bring down trump. No one can find any evidence of this which is why he's railing against Sessions and Rosenstein.

You havent been watching the news for the last 3 years have you. You are partially right though in that no one has found any evidence of Trump Russia collusion or Trump breaking a law. The people conspiring to bring Trump down cant make those claims and as we see on a daily basis now there time is almost up.

And senior republicans are not backing him or this idea but they're not condemning him either. The wusses.

Again expand your viewing to media outlets other than CNN or MSNBC.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Brennans first amendment was not violated....

I don't know about that, but he was certainly publicly punished for exercising his 1st Amendments rights. And, Trump seems to be threatening others with the same treatment for, and if, they do the same.

It doesn't look good for Trump, in my opinion, especially since the WSJ interview where Trump states the Russian "witch hunt" is what motivated him to revoke Brennon's security clearance and maybe others.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: Xcathdra

Brennans first amendment was not violated....

I don't know about that, but he was certainly publicly punished for exercising his 1st Amendments rights. And, Trump seems to be threatening others with the same treatment for, and if, they do the same.

It doesn't look good for Trump, in my opinion, especially since the WSJ interview where Trump states the Russian "witch hunt" is what motivated him to revoke Brennon's security clearance and maybe others.

Brennans right ended when he broke the law on sharing classified info.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join