It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois manufacturer moving to Mexico over Trump tariffs

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I lived in Illinois for years. This has absolutely nothing to do with Trump. This would have happened regardless of who is president. Illinois has been sinking for years.

As far as I can tell, the US is on the verge of "sinking" as a whole, due to the toxic political climate Trumps policies have created... This has nothing to do with Illinois.

TPTB have spoken and made their intentions clear... They want to intact total and utter chaos within the entire United States.

Just wait... These tariffs are simply just another straw onto the camels back, which will eventually result into full blown civil war.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   

The company CLEARLY said they are moving because of the tariffs. Don't play dumb.

They're not playing.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Illinois manufacturer moving to Mexico over Trump tariffs
Trump's tariffs are making Mexico great again! It looks like a storage safe manufacturer outside of Chicago is closing up its factories, laying off 153 people and moving to Mexico citing Trump's tariffs as the reasons. This is yet one more factory to shutter its doors thanks to Trump's idiotic tariffs.

A storage safe manufacturer is reportedly planning to shut down two Illinois factories and move to Mexico in response to President Trump’s tariffs on Chinese metal imports.

Stack-On Products will close its two Chicago-area plants in October and lay off 153 people, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Al Fletcher, human resources director for the manufacturer’s Las Vegas–based parent company, told the newspaper that the company decided to relocate the operations to Mexico after Trump announced tariffs on steel and aluminum, as well as other products, from China.

“The operation is really not profitable,” Fletcher said. “Mr. Trump is part of this.”

Stack-On has operated in Chicago — its only two U.S. plants — for four decades, according to the Tribune, which added that the company already has factories in Mexico and China.

But hey, at least Stack-On cares about Americans unlike the President. They are offering to help people relocate to El Paso, Texas so they can commute across the boarder to the new factory.

Fletcher told the newspapers that some of the employees will be given the option to relocated to El Paso, Texas, across the border from its Stack-On factory.

Man I sure hope the Mexicans don't kick them out of the country for being there illegally. Those Americans are just trying to get a better life for themselves.

Now that's funny...They won't be working in Mexico and afford to live in El Paso...

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   
http://Company was bought out recently, according to

www.indeed.com...

3.1 rating didnt look like it was full of happy employees anyway

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I don't care for the Stack On tool cabinets, there are better one's out there at about the same price. Most of their stuff is manufactured in other countries I think. They might have a few assembly plants here in America, but probably use imported pieces. I think this is just a ploy to make the import tax look bad.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I doubt a company would close two plants just to make headlines that people would forget within a month. The 10 to 20% increase on materials is a breaking point for many companies.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Think about that one if you have any buisness or common ,how could that make a difference in bottom line? either way you would have to pay a tariff,so this is semantics,the truth seems to missing from true equation

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Keep on maga there Donald.
You're crushing it.

I'm sure this is fake news. The companies fault. Obama's fault.

Something like that. We will see

I'm sure 150 of jobs is a greater indicator of... whatever bias you'd like to confirm, but anecdotes still dont equal evidence. Show me 100,000 jobs leaving and I'll pay attention.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
153 whole people?How will we ever survive!

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Company using tariffs as an excuse to move out of the country for cheap labor.

C'mon people, use your heads for a change.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Company using tariffs as an excuse to move out of the country for cheap labor.

C'mon people, use your heads for a change.

Sure.
You guys have said that in every thread about every company thus far.
Any proof?

None of you even entertain the idea it just might be true.
It's automatic trump defense or automatic deflection like the company has # products anyway.

What a joke

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Sooo Dodge 2.0?
If you can't stay competitive in a free market then by all means...
Leave!

Besides when the tariffs are lifted after America has won a better deal these companies will try and come back.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawg61
153 whole people?How will we ever survive!

how will those 153 people survive is the question

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Ya, poor America
so downtrodden, so taken advantage of..king of the world and you guys play victim..

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Fletcher told the newspapers that some of the employees will be given the option to relocated to El Paso, Texas, across the border from its Stack-On factory.

lmao, they will have to get a passport and mexican work visa. I wonder if their pay rate is in usd or pesos. And imagine working beside someone that does the same thing as you, he/she just makes like 5 times more.

MAGA baby!

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Ya, poor America
so downtrodden, so taken advantage of..king of the world and you guys play victim..

No one said that we are playing victims, but it you don't believe in free and fair trade, I don't know what to tell you.

But obviously you have not done your research into things, otherwise you would know that we are taken advantage of on the regular in many international collaborations.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

how will those 153 people survive is the question

By either finding another job in one of the best job markets in recent history, or following the company like they claim to be offering for their employees.

Or off of taxpayer dollars, if that is their choice.

I have no pity for those unwilling to follow the money (in this case, go where a job will be if there isn't one waiting for them upon termination). I have had to do it twice in the three real-world jobs that I have had, four times if you include when I moved from California to the South for basic training and then to Germany for my military service.

The actual question is--will this move backfire on the company if the tariff-tactic proves to be effective and then gets removed again, possibly even ending up with cheaper raw materials. Or better yet, why not just source from American companies and adjust pricing accordingly?

Like I've already noted, though, I bet this move to Mexico was already a consideration before Trump's tariffs--this is just an easy scapegoat for the company to jump on the blame-Trump bandwagon of decisions. But, admittedly, that's speculation at this point, but understanding how long such decisions take to finalize and set up, there's no real way that this wasn't already half decided before the tariffs.

ETA: Case in point, this thread.
edit on 17-8-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
There are a lot of businesses and people moving out of Illinois. Illinois is a financial mess. This was probably the straw that broke the camel's back though. They will probably send their workers down there to train their replacements. That's what they did where I used to work. I remember when Maytag left Illinois. They built a beautiful factory in Mexico. Also, I think Caterpillar based in Illinois started making excavators in Russia.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join