It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars atmosphere

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
In older pics of mars, we see that there is a reddish hue to the atmosphere and the ground, everything looks like rusted iron

however in newer pics, the mars atmosphere has an almost earthlike atmosphere and the ground is much more natural looking, more browns, rather then reds

any insight? i heard nasa in the past would overlay a red template on pics uploaded from mars

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I think it has to do with the technology differences in the cameras used then and now.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Just wanted to show a comparison to older pics

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Mars suffers from extra ordinarly violent dust storms, which during the duration obscure large amounts of the planets surface from view.

maybe the cameras just happen to have got a good picture during a relatively calm period ? but i see what you mean with the two different pics.

im going for the blue sky option, with red being a dusty period.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
the sky is probly a dark blue.. similar to what we might see at 30,000 feet or higher looking striaght up. depending on the amount of particulates in the air it could get a red twinge. I wonder what sun sets are like on mars

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
I wonder what sun sets are like on mars

Ill go out on a limb here and venture to say they would be breath taking.
One day, my daughter my get to see one with her own eyes. No that is a cool thought.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by beerbaron105
the mars atmosphere has an almost earthlike atmosphere and the ground is much more natural looking,

I wonder why is that???

Answer is simple Earth was Marsoformed in the past!!!
Yes, it is probably for the cameras used, or thay just expected to be red, and corrected RGB to fit what they thought was right color, as seen from the Earth.
I personaly was expecting sky to have same colors as Earths long ago it is because of Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air. That's it, and only if some rather serious problem occurs sky wouldn't be blue anywhere.
Red color of the sky is not possible to reach there bacause it is too thin air for light to scatter and only red color to remain.
Hmmm, was those red fakes???

[edit on 22-2-2005 by MankoW]

top topics

join