It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Unknown Fastmover UAV Possibly Spotted at Malan AB, China

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
theaviationist.com...

China's got a fastmover...

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

meh, doesnt look that intimidating
just a rocket with wings

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Its time for USAF to come back in the fast mover game, since the SR-72 completly disappear of the screen and surely it will never see the sky , it's a time to come back with fast uav not let China alone in the game.
edit on 1-10-2019 by darksidius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

Betcha it attaches to those modified H-6 bombers that have been spotted. The indent on thopse matches this pretty closely.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Everything old is new again.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

Betcha it attaches to those modified H-6 bombers that have been spotted. The indent on thopse matches this pretty closely.

YEP, and great scoop on this thread BTW

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: darksidius
Its time for USAF to come back in the fast mover game, since the SR-72 completly disappear of the screen and surely it will never see the sky , it's a time to come back with fast uav not let China alone in the game.

They may be there. The whole UCAV thing went dark, and we never got really figured out what replaced the SR-71.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Forget the SR-71, I want to see what replaced the A-12.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

China's (Isin) glass (Rheinberry) is half full...
edit on 1-10-2019 by CrownCartwheelCreed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

Sure. But those hooks are standing out like sore thumbs, especially at high Mach. They could be jettisonable or something, but thats just sloppy engineering.

posted on Oct, 1 2019 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Thanx.

Speculation mode on:

I bet this is a recon Silbervogel[1]. Meaning it is technically boost glide aircraft, but using a specific atmospheric skip technique that is a bit different than usual BG flight profile. That way it need not have an active engine for long range use. Interestingly, the body of the WZ-8 here echoes the West German follow-on to the Silberfogel dating from the 1980s transamospheric vehicle craze. That was called the Saenger[2] after the Silbervogel's lead designer. Interesting bit: the WZ-8 has landing gear and that means they intend on reusing the bird.

What could you use this for? Snapshot strategic recon, of course. Much like other fastmovers past and present. However, I have to wonder if this isn't supposed to be the recon element for the DF-21 or other long range missiles. Folks have commented and wondered about that for some time: how WOULD the Chinese get targeting info for the DF-21s easily? Here's one possible answer.

Another possibility comes to mind, too. This is a recon drone according to the Chinese, make no mistake. However! The Chinese have stated they will fly an HTHL spaceplane to orbit in 2021. The WZ-8 could have been a stepping stone to that goal that has found another use. If the HTHL is a TSTO, a la the Saenger, then this is even more likely, both for the 2021 goal and the 'low speed' demonstrator for atmospheric handling finding another use. Wild speculation, to be sure, but in line with what the Chinese have been saying publicly and the Chinese are the antithesis of the Russians for official statements.

We shall see. Probably the former, but the latter is a possibility.

(or maybe this is tictac . lol)

1. en.wikipedia.org...
2. en.wikipedia.org...(spacecraft)

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 12:27 AM
link   

these dont look much more than models to me

some of the close ups i have seen are very dubious

granted i dont buy the video of the first Chinese space walk being real.
edit on 2-10-2019 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 01:04 AM
link   

I don’t think the planform works for an atmosphere skipping, let alone reentry speeds. Also no thermal protection for those leading edges or the underbelly.
If you ask me it’s probably just a proof of concept demo with no payload capacity.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   

It probably doesn't need too much payload beyond a fairly basic SAR.

Of course that's if the DF-21 has reasonably good terminal guidance

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
www.janes.com...

Sadly, the good stuff is behind the paywall.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Time for ATS to attempt to chew on possible meaning...

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:54 PM
link   

i think they are models, the areas circled scream bad paint job to me.

i think the real ones are tucked secretly away and if anything these were at best early early test articles

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3
Stealth coating corrosion.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: mightmight
a reply to: penroc3
Stealth coating corrosion.

Eh, it's not where you'd expect to see the beginning (or most) erosion/ablation unless it's hypersonic. And the nose isn't really optimal for that. You also probably don't want/need to use RAM on something hypersonic (with no cockpit or intakes no less!) unless you have something groundbreaking for material and cooling.

The bit near the control surfaces almost looks like a bad weld job.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

maybe it was stored improperly and the wing got wet or something

It's not a weld but the (corroded) hinge of the control surface. The vehicle has four control surfaces, two on each side.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join