It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monty Python Attacked For Being 'Too White'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

I see to much of Danny Dyer, even his daughter is now "famous", for 5 mins lets hope,

Danny Dyer's life has as little in common with me as Boris Johnson's.

Ant and Dec until recently pretty much hosted everything,

Good at what they do / did, but hardly anything of substance.

Gary Lineker on the beeb hosts a lot also,

Hardly typical white, working class male.
If he were to start out now in a career of TV presenting would he be given the same opportunity?

I dont give a rats ass about the ethnicity of someone on the Tv,

And do you think I do?

I just think that the right person for the job should get the job - and equal pay - regardless of gender, race, creed or ethnicity.
What we are seeing at present is a kind of 'positive discrimination' and I abhor that and all it suggests.

Many great TV programmes of the past - some of the not too distant past - would not have been commissioned under todays engrained political correctness.

but I dont think we as whites are being under represented.

I didn't say whites, I said white, working class males.
To be brutally honest, I don't see anybody giving a rats arse about their cares, concerns and interests in society in general.
But I guess that's as its always been.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Benny Hill WAS AWESOME!

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: PillarOfFire
a reply to: Peeple

Especially if you're straight.

Straight white man = The devil.

If you're a guy it doesn't feel good being pushed into a corner all the time. I'm seeing this all the time now white dude bad everyone else good.

Especially if you're straight.

Straight white man =The devil.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: SummerRain
a reply to: Peeple

You think Naomi Campbell is good looking?

See, that's something wrong with you, and not a racial issue at all. Fugly af.

Most of the models have been and are. I just don't get the pug dog eye look.

I think she was and still is absolutely effing gorgeous man. As do MANY MANY others!

Hence her success.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

sorry for not clarifying, "we as whites" I am a white working class male, i just shortened the phrase, again sorry, i literally just threw 3 names of the top of my head, was not really looking to satisfy the working class element, as most working class people regardless of ethnicity are under represented, we can agree on that...cant we

Do you still think we are under represented on telly?, wanna do a study together? pick a channel and we will check the schedule, we togther then can prove something rather than both speculate.

seems easy enough , if you are right I will buy the drinks

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: PillarOfFire

"If you're going to assemble a team now it's not going to be six Oxbridge white blokes," Allen said in June. "It's going to be a diverse range of people who reflect the modern world."

And it would suck. Don't forget that.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I don't see anyone attacking Monty Python in the quote, just saying that it would not happen these days, and I can understand seeing as so many people get outraged over stuff so easily.
Lots of stuff wouldn't fly these days on TV, take "It ain't 'alf hot Mum" as an example, cry cupboard sales would go through the roof if it was shown today, Alf Garnett would cause blood on the streets, although as a child I took a message from watching that as how not to be in life to other people.
Times have changed for sure, the BBC guy is right in his comments, and he's making sure some complaint about one of their shows does not go viral by keyboard critics and whined about on social media.
All mainstream media outlets are doing the same to avoid the outrage.
edit on 14-8-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Nobody would complain that something was too black, or too Asian.

This is analogous to antisemitism.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley

Urm...because the overwhelming majority of people currently on UK television are white maybe?

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: CJCrawley

Urm...because the overwhelming majority of people currently on UK television are white maybe?

What, in a white European country?

Good heavens, what ever can we do?

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

So if these people making the claim are correct...

Then you are a self admitted racist.

I doubt it.

PC gone wild

Perhaps we should just limit affirmative action to the % of the population they make up.

Meaning the of racial types portrayed on the tele and such should match the % of the racial groups make up in the societies they represent.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley
Lol, I know what you mean, the UK is 82% white so it should reflect that in the media.
My region hovers close to 99% white in the census of non summer tourists, so TV doesn't reflect society I see in the winter. I don't mind either way though, I'm pretty colour blind if a performing artist is good at what they do.

edit on 14-8-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typo

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The article was given the title by the guy/gal that wrote it not me. Seems like saying anything to stir a real convo on this issue is taking a back seat to anyone pc.

I maybe should of added this clause from John Cleese on the article before.

John Cleese

✔@JohnCleese

BBC's Head of Comedy puts Monty Python's lack of originality down to a surfeit of education and racist bias

Unfair ! We were remarkably diverse FOR OUR TIME

We had three grammar-school boys, one a poof, and Gilliam, though not actually black, was a Yank. And NO slave-owners

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Or Gilliam's comment

It made me cry: the idea that … no longer six white Oxbridge men can make a comedy show," said Gilliam. "Now we need one of this, one of that, everybody represented … this is bullsh*t. I no longer want to be a white male, I don’t want to be blamed for everything wrong in the world: I tell the world now I’m a black lesbian. … My name is Loretta and I’m a BLT, a black lesbian in transition." "[Allen’s] statement made me so angry, all of us so angry," he said. "Comedy is not assembled, it’s not like putting together a boy band where you put together one of this, one of that everyone is represented."

edit on 14-8-2018 by PillarOfFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I'm interested in a genuine convo, its just I don't feel under attack as a white straight male. It seems to me to be people whining online to me. I don't know anyone in real life who has to deal with SJW's or MGTOW people or any other whiny thing we read on the internet.
I don't get it to be honest, it's just a loud minority whining about stuff on social media as far as I see it...and I only see it on ATS, never from any newsfeeds off mates on social media/real life.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

This PC bollocks is becoming engrained in all BBC and UK TV programing in general.
And the quality of UK TV is suffering accordingly.

Strangely enough the one group significantly under represented in everything within the UK at present is white, working class males - I wonder why that is?

in the U.S. it seems as though white males are represented as buffoons & the butt of jokes.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Not saying that. But if you kick people enough times they're gona get tired and push back. Hey the guys here being told this didn't like it either and said so.

Look when people start attacking demographics in the name of diversity then there's a flaw in that. Live an let live. Don't like it don't watch it but don't dictate the terms of diversity to specific groups of people.
edit on 14-8-2018 by PillarOfFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

You still get the big roles, Mission Impossible, 007 never was black...

Also the Vogue had her first black female cover a few weeks ago that's also a reality and we are almost 20 years after Naomi Campbell.

Do you only watch "race-appropriate" movies?

Don't worry, they are working on a new black James Bond character as you read this. Just heard about it yesterday on TV.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

They forgot the movie Annie.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

The rest of the article makes great reading....Terry Gillham comes out as a "BLT", and inspires me to do the same.

www.dailywire.com...

"
Speaking at the Karlovy Vary film festival in the Czech Republic, Terry Gilliam pumped his troll factor to 11 when he lampooned the politically-correct backlash by declaring himself a "black lesbian."

"It made me cry: the idea that … no longer six white Oxbridge men can make a comedy show," said Gilliam. "Now we need one of this, one of that, everybody represented … this is bullsh*t. I no longer want to be a white male, I don’t want to be blamed for everything wrong in the world: I tell the world now I’m a black lesbian. … My name is Loretta and I’m a BLT, a black lesbian in transition."

"[Allen’s] statement made me so angry, all of us so angry," he said. "Comedy is not assembled, it’s not like putting together a boy band where you put together one of this, one of that everyone is represented."

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join