It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who's Paranoid?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Ok, so not sure if this is where to post this thread but if it's in wrong forum, please move it.

I just wanted to say a little something about paranoia in today's Society. In this case it's the paranoia of shop owners and the need to have over 30 spy cams in store... this particular store being 'The Pound Shop'. come on... why would 'The Pound shop' need so many spy cams?? I can't think of a joke right now but maybe someone here will come up with one? Seriously, why so many spy cams in a 'pound' shop?? If people can't afford to buy a few things which cost one pound each then I'd like to know how and why? I could understand if each item cost say 5 pounds but we're talking 1 pound. I just can't see thieves wanting to steal items which only cost one pound. I counted over 35 spy cams in this shop and it's not that big a shop either so you can imagine what it looks like on the ceiling of this shop. It's like walking into a film set of 'Terminator', I'm not joking.. flasing red LED lights conected to white flat spy cams and big black orb-like spy cams staring at ya, around the 3 self-help tills there were about 10 of these cams alone.

What about our privacy and right to buy things without being harrassed? These spy cams make me feel like a thief every time I see one. It's ridiculous. Store owners are paranoid and in turn making customers feel uncomfortable.

Anyone else count as many or more in your local shops?

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Why are you checking out their security hardware?

Come on it's a pound shop you can do better

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   

What's a pound shop?

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
Ok, so not sure if this is where to post this thread but if it's in wrong forum, please move it.

I just wanted to say a little something about paranoia in today's Society. In this case it's the paranoia of shop owners and the need to have over 30 spy cams in store... this particular store being 'The Pound Shop'. come on... why would 'The Pound shop' need so many spy cams?? I can't think of a joke right now but maybe someone here will come up with one? Seriously, why so many spy cams in a 'pound' shop?? If people can't afford to buy a few things which cost one pound each then I'd like to know how and why? I could understand if each item cost say 5 pounds but we're talking 1 pound. I just can't see thieves wanting to steal items which only cost one pound. I counted over 35 spy cams in this shop and it's not that big a shop either so you can imagine what it looks like on the ceiling of this shop. It's like walking into a film set of 'Terminator', I'm not joking.. flasing red LED lights conected to white flat spy cams and big black orb-like spy cams staring at ya, around the 3 self-help tills there were about 10 of these cams alone.

What about our privacy and right to buy things without being harrassed? These spy cams make me feel like a thief every time I see one. It's ridiculous. Store owners are paranoid and in turn making customers feel uncomfortable.

So... You didn't feel safe and comfortable shoplifting there?

That's the point...

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

It is a UK chain of stores that sells items for one pound, the English dollar, if you will.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

What ya talking about? I said the spy cams make me feel uncomfortable when I have the necessary funds to buy my 1 packet of wine gums for 1 pound.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

What's a pound shop?

Everything sells for a pound or one US dollar (If you have them in the US)

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver
a reply to: Sillyolme

It is a UK chain of stores that sells items for one pound, the English dollar, if you will.

So, if they opened chains in the U.S., that would be The 78 Cent Store? Now, that would be popular, well, if they sold more than Chinese party favors, anyway.

(This is actually a bit shocking, just now looking at the conversion rate. When did the pound sink so low? It's been quite awhile, but last time I'd checked it was around $1.30+. If inflation hasn't run amuck in the U.K., this sounds like maybe a good time to vacation there, using dollars?)
edit on 14-8-2018 by Scrutinizing because: Addition.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Even at Dollar stores or Pound stores, there is money to be made for shoplifters. Usually, items which are very easy to resale any where, from street corners to flea markets.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

The cameras probably don't even work - it's all for show, to give the illusion the shop is being heavily monitored.

You should pack your pockets full to find out once and for all.... unless you're paranoid!

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   

a reply to: NightFlight

What ya talking about? I said the spy cams make me feel uncomfortable when I have the necessary funds to buy my 1 packet of wine gums for 1 pound.

One pound for a packet of wine gums!? We get that at the dollar store in the US for the equivalent of about 78 pence.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Retail has very low margins and theft (or "leakage") is a huge problem. Too much theft and all of a sudden the store isn't profitable.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I don't buy it. Way too many.

I think there's more to it and probably more paranoid about their own staff theiving stuff. I'd imagine there's more spy cams in the backrooms and staffing area.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven
The cameras probably don't even work - it's all for show, to give the illusion the shop is being heavily monitored.

This. If there were no cameras, people would steal way more often.
A lot of places put up cheap nonfunctional security cameras as a deterrent. It saves them money because they lose less money buying the cameras than they would from theft if they weren't there.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

a reply to: Edumakated

I don't buy it. Way too many.

I think there's more to it and probably more paranoid about their own staff theiving stuff. I'd imagine there's more spy cams in the backrooms and staffing area.

Yes, the assume staff will steal too. The cameras are for both shoppers and employees.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
At some point soon, even in my corner of backwoods swamp, I too will be putting up a cam or two. Not only have I found meth trash on my road, but someone regularly invades my mailbox.

I have very little here, I'm not some rich guy with a mansion, a three car garage and a bunch of stuff in my yard, but I'm a quarter mile from the nearest neighbor on a wooded dirt road. Not too secure, not real visible from the road, an easy mark for a quick score or home invasion even if it's just a few things a criminal could steal.

Just across the street is a seasonal neighbor's property. He has 3 campers and a shed. Nothing of any real value to be sure, but his place was robbed twice since I lived here. They took everything, from throw rugs to the copper gas lines under the trailers. Even if it's just "dollar" or "pound" store stuff, someone will steal it if they think they can get away with it. It's just the way it is these days, I'll be putting up cameras too. Sucks, but you have to have security of some kind.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

I just wanted to say a little something about paranoia in today's Society. In this case it's the paranoia of shop owners and the need to have over 30 spy cams in store... this particular store being 'The Pound Shop'. come on... why would 'The Pound shop' need so many spy cams?? I can't think of a joke right now but maybe someone here will come up with one?

More to the point......

What were you buying that was activating your 'paranoia antenna'

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   

"If people can't afford to buy a few things that cost one pound each I'd like to know how and why."

You are fortunate that you can't imagine that scenario; it means you've never been in it. In that economy crisis that happened in 2008, 2009, the company I was working for got bought out and many of us became "redundant" (got laid off). Unemployment benefits are better than nothing, but they do NOT pay all the bills, and once even that is gone (because everyone else is ALSO looking for a job after being laid off and no one is hiring), it gets REAL tight. Tight enough that you find yourself counting pennies to see if you have enough to buy a gallon of milk.

My guess with all the cameras at the pound shop is that people who ARE in the position of having to count pennies are precisely the main clientele at that shop, since they can buy things for a pound.

ETA: what are wine gums??

edit on 14-8-2018 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Ah a subject dear to my heart. The owners are paranoid. I worked in a very small facility where there were cameras everywhere. They not only spent hours viewing costumers. One costumer was texted that she had been seen daily talking to an employee.
They announced that "we" were being monitored 24/7 by corporate. I habituated my self to smile to the camera, and tell costumers that I had to go because I was on camera. When I left my shift I would always open my purse in view of a camera and a manager.
I hate the damn things. As a customer I will give it the "finger" show what I am putting in my cart and then fumble around with something on purpose. Go in my pocket pull out something.

How much time do they waist viewing cameras versus creating trust with employees and costumers.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

There was a time when the customer was always right and you should respect your customers and trust your customers... after all, they are coming to your shop to buy products!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join