It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Saved A Life Today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I feed the birds around my home. I have 8 Hummingbird feeders hung on my front deck where I feed 60+ Ruby Throat hummingbirds, nectar. I truly enjoy watching them fight and fume over the feeders every evening. They are a sight. I also have 2 feeders I fill with Black Oil sunflower seed and cracked corn for the dozen or so Cardinals + other varieties that feed on the seed. I put cracked corn on the ground as well to feed the several Dove that come into my feeders.

I ran out of corn chops yesterday so I drove down to the nearest town 32 miles south of me to buy a sack of chops for the dove. While driving back home, I ran up on a terrapin that had been turned upside down by, probably, the wind from a semi that had passed over it so, after traveling another 1/2 mile, I turned around, drove back, and after another car passed, I rushed out, snatched it up and carried it out of the right of way before another car passed by a few seconds later. I couldn't bear the thought of letting the defenseless creature be crushed when I could do so little as to turn around and pick him up out of the way of humanity.

Sheat! I have more compassion for nature's other critters than I have for humanity.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Well done!

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I always love a good rescue story. I have rescued many creatures through the years and it's a wonderful feeling! Kudos!

edit on 13-8-2018 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Someone has to look after these animals, they just do not seem to understand that the highways are dangerous. We get turtles crossing the road during mating season on our way out to our house from town. Stopping and rushing them across the street is something you have to do once in a while, I have seen a small car fly into the ditch from hitting a snapper, nobody other than the turtle was hurt.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Someone has to look after these animals, they just do not seem to understand that the highways are dangerous. We get turtles crossing the road during mating season on our way out to our house from town. Stopping and rushing them across the street is something you have to do once in a while, I have seen a small car fly into the ditch from hitting a snapper, nobody other than the turtle was hurt.

Maybe identify major crossing points and build ecoducts? Not sure if all animals would be smart enough to know use them but i have heard it does help a lot where they build some of those

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
I feed the birds around my home. I have 8 Hummingbird feeders hung on my front deck where I feed 60+ Ruby Throat hummingbirds, nectar. I truly enjoy watching them fight and fume over the feeders every evening. They are a sight. I also have 2 feeders I fill with Black Oil sunflower seed and cracked corn for the dozen or so Cardinals + other varieties that feed on the seed. I put cracked corn on the ground as well to feed the several Dove that come into my feeders.

I ran out of corn chops yesterday so I drove down to the nearest town 32 miles south of me to buy a sack of chops for the dove. While driving back home, I ran up on a terrapin that had been turned upside down by, probably, the wind from a semi that had passed over it so, after traveling another 1/2 mile, I turned around, drove back, and after another car passed, I rushed out, snatched it up and carried it out of the right of way before another car passed by a few seconds later. I couldn't bear the thought of letting the defenseless creature be crushed when I could do so little as to turn around and pick him up out of the way of humanity.

Sheat! I have more compassion for nature's other critters than I have for humanity.

Honestly i always thought terrapin was a brand of beer :S. Just now finding out it is an actual turtle, i feel ashamed and dumb right now lol. I did not know it existed and had to look it up because it made no sense to me that you stopped to turn a beer bottle around lmfao

I admire very much how kind you are, i have met people who think animals are there with the only purpose of being less than humans and a kill-them-all hobby, nasty people. And then people that won't try to kill them but also don't care to help because they are just animals and you can't waste time on them or you lose money/time, also nasty people.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: WarriorMH

Terrapin are semi aquatic.
Tortoise are land dwellers.
Turtles are water dwellers.

But that depends on who you ask:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

Terrapin are semi aquatic.
Tortoise are land dwellers.
Turtles are water dwellers.

But that depends on who you ask:

en.wikipedia.org...

Got it, i looked on google and found this and i thought it was correct, should have read more about it

Scientific name: Malaclemys terrapin
Phylum: Chordata
Order: Turtle
Higher classification: Malaclemys

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Thanks for loving nature. Humans seem to be too busy to notice the value of others' lives-except people who are special-like you.
edit on 14-8-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Thank you for doing it!

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I had to look up what a terrapin was to funnily realize its my friends pet.

I couldn't bear the thought of letting the defenseless creature be crushed when I could do so little as to turn around and pick him up out of the way of humanity.

well it is only humanity that is confused about its purpose

all the "dumb" creatures seem to exist in some sort of harmony with nature, living by the cycles that nature provides.

Many humans just don't know what their own purpose is let alone humanity knowing what its purpose is as a whole.

I mean given our intelligence I think our purpose is to be care takers of this world and its inhabitants that are supposed to be less intelligent than us.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
My husband and I did exactly that today, except it was someone's puppy and not a turtle. We were waiting to turn at a corner, and noticed a puppy was running out in the middle the street, which is a main artery through the neighborhood. Nobody was even really trying to avoid it, I'm not sure how it wasn't a greasy streak on the road yet.

Hubs had a lucky break of no traffic suddenly and the puppy came running up to the car. He opened the door & pupper hopped right on it like he belonged there, and we pulled over. A few moments later, some teenage kiddo was frantically running down the sidewalk yelling (almost shrieking, really) a name, which definitely got the puppy's attention. Hubby hollered over to him, "This your buddy? He almost got run over!" He got out & handed him the puppy, puppy got leashed up, kid about cried & thanked us profusely. I think the poor dude was expecting the worst, really.

Wild animals, domesticated animals, it doesn't make any difference. Making sure someone doesn't end up an organic speed bump is always the start of a good day.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Honestly i always thought terrapin was a brand of beer

That line alone is worthy of a star. I cracked up. LOL

I admire very much how kind you are, i have met people who think animals are there with the only purpose of being less than humans and a kill-them-all hobby, nasty people. And then people that won't try to kill them but also don't care to help because they are just animals and you can't waste time on them or you lose money/time, also nasty people.

Absolutely! I just adore animals.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Kudos for saving a sweet innocent puppy! Animals can be so helpless and get themselves into so many predicaments. They need Earth Angels to help them from time to time.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
a reply to: Nyiah

Kudos for saving a sweet innocent puppy! Animals can be so helpless and get themselves into so many predicaments. They need Earth Angels to help them from time to time.

While I'm really not fond of dogs much, it's pretty cruel to just let one get creamed in the street if you could have helped it. Plus, this was a very cute puppy, choco lab, I'm assuming. I'm a sucker for baby animals, even dogs, all baby animals are stinkin' cute as hell.

top topics

join