It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing gloves

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Anybody recommend a really great pair of gloves for heavy-bag work?

I've been doing Muay Thai for years and love my Hyabusa's, they're 16 oz and super fast but I have to stop using them on the heavy bag. I can get the speed with them but not the amount of power I want.

I have a couple pairs of Venum's and I love those too but they're too worn out for bag training.

I was researching the Title gel gloves, supposed to be the best for bag training.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations....?

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

I always use fingerless leather gloves if I train on the bag it´s much harder on your knuckles. But then I´m not into sport but self defense and I´m used to have my fingers moveable so there´s that. Power transfer is a bit different in technique, for example relaxing the fist after a punch to keep the energy in the target and not propagate back into my hand. It´s much easier with those gloves because you get more "feel".

I would say it depends, do you spare? Then I would train on similar gloves used in sparing or contest. Why not use both?

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
16oz gloves? How big are your hands?? Unless you have 10+ inch hands, I have no idea why you’d be using bear paws as gloves...at any rate, if it’s bag work, it’s like renting shoes from a bowling alley — almost anything will work. Maybe you are due for a new heavy bag.
edit on 13-8-2018 by BeefNoMeat because: you are

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I use these

www.amazon.com...=mp_s_a_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1534192558&sr=8-25&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords =everlast+gloves

With these as my wraps

www.amazon.com...=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534192641&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords= everlast+wraps+evergel&dpPl=1&dpID=512e%2B-wCD1L&ref=plSrch

They work fine for my heavybag work. And protect very well with spinning back fist.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Out of curiosity, why are you wearing boxing gloves for a sport that doesn't use them?

I use leather RDX gel MMA-style gloves (with open thumb area), and they work well on everything from focus mitts to canvas heavy bags (and everything in between, including people's faces).

Personally, I'd take this opportunity to venture away from the boxing gloves, especially if you're doing Muay Thai and not something that necessitates boxing gloves versus MMA-style gloves. As my instructor would say, "Loose the 16-ounce pillows."

RDX Leather MMA Gloves

edit on 13-8-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Wish I knew more about it. I started MT and boxing this year and I hardly remember right from left most days. I'm gonna keep an eye out here and see what more experienced fighters have to say.

S+F

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

i dont strike so dont listen to me but why are you wearing such big gloves?
if you want to wear that style glove cut it in half and get some 8oz

www.venum.com... 61Gu5_xoCCJ8QAvD_BwE

or get serious and get the 4oz hypnotik mma gloves

www.mmawarehouse.com...

seriously though why such a heavy glove?
cut it in half

your plumb will go up a couple levels too by the glove switch
edit on 13-8-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Guaranteed victory!

www.armorvenue.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Flawless Victory?

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Winning USA would be top of the line for hand protection. These are not designed to inflict pain upon the opponent, but designed to protect brittle hands from all impacts.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   

A good pair of hand wraps is all you need...

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I loved my Twins when I was boxing.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Wow... okay. Clearly a lot of people just pretend to know how to box. Or watched a bunch of videos and decided they are boxers LOL!

So basically anyone who commented about why I am wearing such big gloves (ounce-wise). First of all you have no idea if I spar or fight. I only mentioned heavy bag training. And yes, that's "training", not a fitness class. Fingerless? there is a HUGE difference between boxing and MMA and if you don't know the difference, please don't pretend to practice either art. Wow... SMH, I don't even have the words LOL! But I've posted a quick summary/reference - like BASIC stuff you should know if you're hitting a bag or a person, below. To everyone else who know's what they're talking about, I'll reply. Jeez...

Sparring Gloves - Sparring gloves are basically extra-padded training gloves so that you’re not hurting your sparring opponent. Textunless you’re a really small person (under 120 pounds). Theoretically, Text. If you weigh more than 175lbs lean muscle, you should spar with gloves no less than 18oz or 20oz. Don’t forget to watch out and make sure your opponent is not using smaller gloves than you because you will get hit harder by the unfair advantage.

There is also another common belief that you should always spar with gloves at competition weight for your weight class. If your weight class competes in 10oz gloves, then you spar with that. Of course, you have to tone down the pace so you don’t destroy each other before the actual fight. Personally, I feel beginners should use more bigger gloves to be on the safe side and then work their way down towards competition weight if they can handle it.

Competition Boxing Gloves

These are boxing gloves you use for fighting during real competition boxing events. If you’re an amateur boxer, there is an exact size specifications that your weight class will use whether it be 12oz, 14oz, 16oz, etc. In amateur boxing, your gloves have to be approved for boxing competition (for example: in the USA, you have to wear USA Boxing approved gloves for amateur fighting). Your trainer will know the correct size and specifications required. In professional boxing matches, the gloves are usually smaller. Generally, your training/sparring gloves will be heavier and thicker than your fighting gloves.

What’s the Difference Between Size And Type

Text. Sparring gloves are usually the thickest and offer the most padding. Training gloves are a bit smaller but still very protective. Bag gloves are pretty crappy and not recommended (I rarely ever see them being used.) Amateur competition gloves have good padding while professional competition gloves have less padding so you can hurt your opponent more.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter

I always use fingerless leather gloves if I train on the bag it´s much harder on your knuckles. But then I´m not into sport but self defense and I´m used to have my fingers moveable so there´s that. Power transfer is a bit different in technique, for example relaxing the fist after a punch to keep the energy in the target and not propagate back into my hand. It´s much easier with those gloves because you get more "feel".

I would say it depends, do you spare? Then I would train on similar gloves used in sparing or contest. Why not use both?

I only use fingerless for MMA. For heavy-bag and/or traditional boxing you need protection with wraps and gloves that fingerless gloves don't afford.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat
16oz gloves? How big are your hands?? Unless you have 10+ inch hands, I have no idea why you’d be using bear paws as gloves...at any rate, if it’s bag work, it’s like renting shoes from a bowling alley — almost anything will work. Maybe you are due for a new heavy bag.

The size of the glove has nothing to do with the size of the hand. I am referring to the Weight of the glove (in ounces). It is the complete opposite of renting shoes in a blowing alley. My heavy-bag is on point. Thanks anyway.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: rollanotherone

I use these

www.amazon.com...=mp_s_a_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1534192558&sr=8-25&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords =everlast+gloves

With these as my wraps

www.amazon.com...=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534192641&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords= everlast+wraps+evergel&dpPl=1&dpID=512e%2B-wCD1L&ref=plSrch

They work fine for my heavybag work. And protect very well with spinning back fist.

Thanks! I was thinking about either Everlast or Title. Seems like people have good luck with both. Assuming leather????

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Out of curiosity, why are you wearing boxing gloves for a sport that doesn't use them?

I use leather RDX gel MMA-style gloves (with open thumb area), and they work well on everything from focus mitts to canvas heavy bags (and everything in between, including people's faces).

Personally, I'd take this opportunity to venture away from the boxing gloves, especially if you're doing Muay Thai and not something that necessitates boxing gloves versus MMA-style gloves. As my instructor would say, "Loose the 16-ounce pillows."

RDX Leather MMA Gloves

No. Boxing gloves and wraps for traditional boxing. For MMA I use MMA (fast) gloves, sometimes fingerless, along with other protective gear. I like to keep my crafts separate. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

i dont strike so dont listen to me but why are you wearing such big gloves?
if you want to wear that style glove cut it in half and get some 8oz

www.venum.com... 61Gu5_xoCCJ8QAvD_BwE

or get serious and get the 4oz hypnotik mma gloves

www.mmawarehouse.com...

seriously though why such a heavy glove?
cut it in half

your plumb will go up a couple levels too by the glove switch

I like the feel and control of a heavier glove, but they're awesome for training because when I take it down an ounce or two my hands are flying! I also like the extra protection the heavier glove provides during training. I'm a power hitter and don't want to blow my form and bust a knuckle doing something stupid in training ya know?

I LOVE my venums but they've lost their spring, like a flat tire lol!

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skorpiogurl
Wow... okay. Clearly a lot of people just pretend to know how to box. Or watched a bunch of videos and decided they are boxers LOL!

On my end notice how I said I don't strike so don't listen to me.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I see.

I had stopped pursuing boxing a while ago because it was teaching me bad habits for the other arts in which I train (mainly Krav Maga, JKD, and Eskrima). Everything that I do is a no-rules defensive training, so some of the boxing techniques (angle of fist at striking being a big one) were leading to habits that could injure me in an actual gloveless altercation (it's not called a "boxer's fracture" for nothing). There are some elements of boxing in JKD, and we do don some boxing gloves very occasionally, but I opt to use my RDXs and they work fine for what we do, even on heavy bags.

I suppose that Verschickter and I are on the same page about defensive-arts training versus sport, hence our comments about MMA-style gloves (where hand mobility is an important thing), but I will absolutely reiterate this point: MMA gloves can and do work perfectly well on heavy bags, unless you consider the 100-lb canvas bag on which I use my gloves not a heavy bag. But I understand your want for extra protection since you're a power hitter.

And if you love your Venoms, why not just get another pair of Venoms?

Here is something that I found today that was updated August 2 this year that may help you in your search: The 10 Best Muay Thai Gloves in 2018.

Good luck with finding the right pair.

<<   2 >>

join