It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Undetectable" plastic 3D printed guns aren't actually undetectable

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: howtonhawky
a reply to: worldstarcountry

The CNC machines are not printing guns, the more accurate comparison is that they are carving the guns the way one would carve a toy from a block of wood.

I said that in the first post you responded too.

They call it a printer but it is like a metal router.

I do not get what the point of the run around is that soo many do when i post facts.

100% nylon guns are out there

Nylon guns are being used in crimes

nylon is a type of plastic..its a polymer

polymer firing pins and springs exist but not for long term use

nylon or plastic guns are not detectable by most standard metal detectors

printed guns whether plastic or metal guns are a threat to gun manufacturers and law enforcement

There is no known way to stop nylon or plastic guns without infringing on several constitutional amendment rights

people can try and spin these facts in what ever direction they want but facts are facts

You're too busy to link to a crime committed with a 100% nylon gun though, right?

Might have something to do with there being no 100% any kind of plastic gun that’s more than a one shot one use iffy type of setup but even then you need springs and a firing pin minimum.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Indeed

I can literally make a firearm with a milling machine , or even spare parts that would be 100 times safer and more viable than those plastic ones.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whatthedoctorordered

Indeed

I can literally make a firearm with a milling machine , or even spare parts that would be 100 times safer and more viable than those plastic ones.

That's the point they don't get. "But the plans are out there!" Okay. There's plans for a space elevator too. You don't see anyone using one. If these things were practical, every thug in Chicago would have one. There's dozens of shootings there every week. Why none with plastic guns? There's thousands of shootings in the US every year. Why aren't these things showing up, even in small numbers? The plans are everywhere.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Agreed they are throwing fits about this like crazy, like you cant google the parts to ANY firearm, out there and make the parts yourself, and spend less on the milling machine than the 3D printing machine and make it out of METAL not plastic

It really blows my mind.

The US and private citizens have been making firearms since our inception, I have a guy just down the street from me that not only produces ammo, but literally will make you an AR-15 from scratch that rivals any crappy Bushmaster.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Yup;.. also ammunition has to be made out of detectable materials due to the physics involved.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Well, duh! Ammunition is made out of metal.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
Well, duh! Ammunition is made out of metal.

There have been plastic telescopic caseless rounds called “tround” due to the triangular profile. Even if you combined that kind of “case” and make the bullet out of some heavy and strong plastic like UHMW or Delrin to have a fairly weighty projectile you would still need a metal primer cup. You could use electronic ignition but then again you get into metal, a battery or capacitor to activate electronic ignition. Building a gun undetectable to metal detectors is not a trivial task and you’re better off circumventing the detector and stick to what works.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Not to mention that airports in the US have scanners that use MMW technology (millimeter wave technology) that can detect metallic and non metallic / plastic items concealed on a person, including plastic guns. The backscatter setups also can detect it but apparently the TSA and some European countries have been heading towards the MMW tech.

Either way, and in my opinion, the plastic gun hysteria by the left is another manufactured drama designed to skew facts to push gun control laws. People have always been able to build their own guns at home so this is nothing new.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The debate over a 100% nylon gun is dumb as is the debate over a nylon casing.

Both can be made as can a black powder type polymer weapon and nylon firing pins and springs.

100% plastic weapons are real and can be bought and used.

imo that should not be what the debate is about.

So many ways to get weapons past check points these days since drones exist.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   

The entire point here is whether this technology allows criminals to get their hands on guns that won't be detectable in a metal detector or airport scanner.

Yes these guns featured in the news recently are 99% plastic and can be passed easily through any scanner.

All you have to do is remove the firing pin and put it on your key chain or something like that.

No big deal at all and the majority of people would never recognize it as being part of a gun.

More over many detectors would not even pick up on the firing pin case it is much small.

So yes these guns are undetectable and are considered by law enforcement as a new type of threat.

We are at the base of the technology and it will get better and better.

As far as your "metal printers"you can get one for about 12,000$ that will print a 1911 and ar platforms.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

If these things are so easy to get and reliable, for the 50th time, why aren't criminals using them?

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

If these things are so easy to get and reliable, for the 50th time, why aren't criminals using them?

Dude i never said anywhere they are easy to get or that they are reliable.

Criminals are using them.

This has been shown to you!

It has not been 50 times but many times you refuse to accept truth.

These guns can be made without the knowledge of law enforcement but imo the real problem is with the metal printers or lathes that sell for around 12,000$ and are a serious threat to corporate profits.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

The link between the 3d plastic guns and the printed metal ones is the software and the 1st. amendment.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Dude i never said anywhere they are easy to get or that they are reliable.

Criminals are using them.

This has been shown to you!

It has not been 50 times but many times you refuse to accept truth.

These guns can be made without the knowledge of law enforcement but imo the real problem is with the metal printers or lathes that sell for around 12,000$ and are a serious threat to corporate profits.

The entire issue here is whether these things pose a problem as far as letting criminals get guns easier or letting them get into places they couldn't get with a commercially manufactured gun. That hasn't been shown. You found one example, from 2 years ago, of some criminals getting caught with some 3D printed guns. The article didn't even specify what they did with them. It appears they just had them, and it's illegal to have them in Australia. If they were going to pose the type of problem the anti-gun extremists and the media want us to believe, more criminals would be using them.

It's quite simply a non-issue.
edit on 14 8 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

You found one example, from 2 years ago, of some criminals getting caught with some 3D printed guns.

lol You think i am in charge of tha gun debate. Get off my back already.... You asked for an example of people using 3d guns in crime. I gave you that and now you are unsatisfied. There are more examples of crime and printed guns but ido not have the resources to scour through databases to prove something to you every time you want to change the debate to the next thing you want someone to provide for you. Do it yourself as i provided and you deny....

Criminals get guns pretty easy and these new weapons pose a threat to places using metal detectors.There are exceptions but those exceptions do not negate the facts.

As another poster pointed out you might do better arguing that even places like airports they miss many guns and stuff.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

You found one example, from 2 years ago, of some criminals getting caught with some 3D printed guns.

lol You think i am in charge of tha gun debate. Get off my back already.... You asked for an example of people using 3d guns in crime. I gave you that and now you are unsatisfied. There are more examples of crime and printed guns but ido not have the resources to scour through databases to prove something to you every time you want to change the debate to the next thing you want someone to provide for you. Do it yourself as i provided and you deny....

Criminals get guns pretty easy and these new weapons pose a threat to places using metal detectors.There are exceptions but those exceptions do not negate the facts.

As another poster pointed out you might do better arguing that even places like airports they miss many guns and stuff.

I hate to break it to you, but I was certain you'd be able to find at least one example because I was already aware of the story you posted. I don't deny that you posted a link to one story. Don't make stuff up, please.

Again, the issue here is the narrative that's being presented about these things in the media is false. They're not undetectable. They're not gonna enable terrorists to get into airports. You might do better to read the OP, where I pointed out that TSA already fails to find commercially manufactured guns. These things aren't a threat. Anyone that can print a 3D gun could get a real gun through a straw purchase or theft. That's why there's no problem with criminals switching to these. Why would you want this piece of junk when you could get a real gun? They're a curiosity, nothing more.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I was certain you'd be able to find at least one example because I was already aware of the story you posted. I don't deny that you posted a link to one story.

contradict much?

You asked for a story and you got one.

These things aren't a threat.

tsk tsk

edit on 14-8-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I hate to break it to you, but I was certain you'd be able to find at least one example because I was already aware of the story you posted. I don't deny that you posted a link to one story. Don't make stuff up, please.

Again, the issue here is the narrative that's being presented about these things in the media is false. They're not undetectable. They're not gonna enable terrorists to get into airports. You might do better to read the OP, where I pointed out that TSA already fails to find commercially manufactured guns. These things aren't a threat. Anyone that can print a 3D gun could get a real gun through a straw purchase or theft. That's why there's no problem with criminals switching to these. Why would you want this piece of junk when you could get a real gun? They're a curiosity, nothing more.

Not only are they detectable one is not needed to hijack an airplane. All one has to do is go to youtube and watch the blogs by all these people who fly a lot. Pay attention to the meal sections of the videos because you will see not only are they given metal utensils like forks, they are also given knives.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I was certain you'd be able to find at least one example because I was already aware of the story you posted. I don't deny that you posted a link to one story.

contradict much?

You asked for a story and you got one.

These things aren't a threat.

tsk tsk

Contradict what? That you posted a link? I did no such thing. The fact remains these aren't being used in crimes. You found an exception. By and large, criminals don't want these things, and they don't enable people to do anything they can't already do. They remain a non-issue.
edit on 14 8 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Tell me what makes you unable to search for yourself? Are you lazy or just unable due to bandwith problems?

In countries where guns are illegal these things are being massed produced.

Your pathetic attempt to downplay the creation and use of these guns is silly.

You asked for one example and i gave you that and now you claim some bs.

Grow up!

www.google.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join