It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Undetectable" plastic 3D printed guns aren't actually undetectable

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Source

Putting this here since this has been in the news recently.

While lawmakers feud over the release of blueprints for 3-D-printed plastic guns, the Transportation Security Administration wants fliers to know that airport security screeners have been able to spot the so-called untraceable and undetectable weapons in carry-on bags.

This is my favorite part considering all the panic around these things like they're new:

But TSA officials say 3-D-printed guns and firearm components have been in circulation for years and have been found on passengers trying to board commercial flights.

So like I and many other knowledgeable members on here have been trying, futilely, to explain to the gun control crowd, the court case and the availability of these items is really not a big deal.

Also, let's all keep in mind that even if these things weren't available, TSA isn't that good at protecting you from weapons anyway, no matter what they're made from.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
"They" as in big corp, can´t hinder you as much as they can´t hinder anyone in a backshop in china to copy their design or mechanic features for personal use.

Now with homebrew CNC and lately 3D printers, they need to somehow regulate that so they lobby to panic against 3D printers. It´s not about guns it´s about the freedom you get when you can manufacture your own parts or replacement parts.

That´s the reason, not because you can print guns. Anyone that can service a 3D printer and use it has the mental capabilities to get into CNCs and manufacture actual guns, durable ones capable of precision.

Because you cant fire a metallic bullet through a plastic barrel and thread it simultaneously while it´s driven through the barrel, you still need that for reliable, repeatable results and durability.

edit on 13-8-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

While I disagree with the "big corp" part of your statement. The rest of it makes sense. I have a Bridgeport mill and a metal lathe. A while back I was laid off and had some time on my hands. I took a couple of my pistols and made full mechanical drawings and 3D models of their components. I would have to redesign some of the parts to put them with in my capability to manufacture. The hardest part for me would be grooving the barrel. Other than that it is pretty straight forward and fairly simple. It is also legal. I have a 3D printer. I can't see me making a gun out of weed wacker line anytime soon and that is what my printer uses.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
They have scanners that can detect a fart.
They can see your naughty bits clear as day.
Good luck with a plastic gun.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

From the little I have seen, a plastic gun will fire a maximum of three shots before "breaking". If I was allowed a gun, the last kind of gun I would want is a plastic gun.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Sure, "big corp" was bit of a a shallow approach. Let´s not put a lable on it "corp" "world elite" whatever.

But there has to be some group pushing this, I do not entirely believe that this is solely based on media fearmongering. Someone´s pushing this.

In a world where control is getting more important, let it be via police state, surveilance or your general behavior, types like you and me are unwanted.

Sort of like that some farmers are not allowed to repair their own tractors because you need special tools and for that, a license. You don´t get the license and they make it hard to built your own tools to service. And if you do, you void waranty. So you depend on them. Companies now start to rent out instead of selling. Imagine that. You can´t buy a tractor, it´s only leasable.

Some do it and even the upscream is big, others join too. Because "what do you want to do against it?". Others manufactures that don´t do that, do not have the capacity to serve the demand so...

Just another example..

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

The kicker is that they claim to be able to spot this, but have been shown more than once to miss basic stuff like real guns in bags.

TSA is nothing but an illusion of security provided by people who are over paid minimum wage employees.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

lol

at one point you claimed that if these guns were being used by criminals then the msm would report it...

I agree that fancy airport scanners can see plastic but you compounded that thought with metal detectors.

People are concerned because of other venues than airports especially places where simple wands and such are used.

More body frisk cause there is not a viable way to stop 3d printing that i can see.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

The kicker is that they claim to be able to spot this, but have been shown more than once to miss basic stuff like real guns in bags.

TSA is nothing but an illusion of security provided by people who are over paid minimum wage employees.

I actually pointed that out in the OP.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

lol

at one point you claimed that if these guns were being used by criminals then the msm would report it...

I agree that fancy airport scanners can see plastic but you compounded that thought with metal detectors.

People are concerned because of other venues than airports especially places where simple wands and such are used.

More body frisk cause there is not a viable way to stop 3d printing that i can see.

What point are you trying to make here? Are undetectable plastic guns being used in crimes? You spent 3 pages in another thread dodging this question, so this is more of a rhetorical question.
edit on 13 8 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
You mean we're not going to die a fiery death in a bullet riddled airplane crash ?

Oh well...... maybe next time.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
You mean we're not going to die a fiery death in a bullet riddled airplane crash ?

Oh well...... maybe next time.

I dunno about you, but I've already been killed by the tax cuts.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Will I be able to 3-D print a ghost gun with a hundred round clipazine and chainsaw attachment?

edit on 13-8-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Sort of like that some farmers are not allowed to repair their own tractors because you need special tools and for that, a license. You don´t get the license and they make it hard to built your own tools to service. And if you do, you void waranty.

I hate to be that guy...

However there should be no need for someone to repair a tractor on their own if it is under warranty.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Will I be able to 3-D print a ghost gun with a hundred round clipazine and chainsaw attachment?

Print a plastic AR-556. 37 times deadlier than the AR-15!

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Print a plastic AR-556. 37 times deadlier than the AR-15!

It has already been done...

There are printers that can be bought right now for the ar platform and the 1911 platform...

kinda like a metal router in many ways.

It get's down to the heart of the matter and that is how such tech. is a threat to major gun manufactures.

I still believe this is what the vegas shooter done. The claim is around 6 hrs from start to being able to fire.

It has been around for around 5 yrs.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky
Generally, you are right. But it´s even after waranty, in case you can just lease.

If it´s a simple repair and bolt and service will be a week away you should be allowed to change that bolt without voiding the waranty for the whole machine.

What you´re going to do if you have to get in the corn? Chill out until service has time for you? Or pull that bolt, replace and harvest before weather, season or whatever ruins it.

edit on 13-8-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Made entirely of plastic?

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
$6500 - $7000 for a 3D printer.

I can buy a sh** load of guns for that, that will fire more than 3 rounds and will still be working 50 years from now.

I applaud the technology, but practical?
No.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
$6500 - $7000 for a 3D printer.

I can buy a sh** load of guns for that, that will fire more than 3 rounds and will still be working 50 years from now.

I applaud the technology, but practical?
No.

These are the same people that think if you deregulate suppressors that criminals would buy them up like crazy, despite the fact that they can be easily stolen yet there's no black market demand for them. They're simply not practical for most crimes. Criminals mostly care about 2 things, concealability and cost. A suppressor makes your gun larger, thus harder to conceal, and it's an unnecessary accessory. There are other things they'd rather spend money on. Most of these idiots won't even shell out a few bucks to hit the range now and then, so they're hitting kids doing homework.
edit on 13 8 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join