It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Night Sky's Display

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
So, when's the last time you sat down and gaze up at the stars for a little while? A poet once said sonething about staring at flowers doing wonders for the soul. As a self styled philosopher, I feel like staring up at the stars does wonders for the mind.

My favourite is when the moon is out and there is a scattering of clouds across the sky. The way the moon lights up the clouds, and it's contrast with the inky void between the stars... It's so surreal. I never feel as close to 'Nirvana' as in that moment, when I feel connected, and in communion and understanding with reality.

(Shrugs) but I didn't really come here to talk of my experience, or I would have posted it in the philosophy forum
I want to know when's the last time you sat down to enjoy the stars; the sensations the experience fills you with; any thoughts you might have; and what you do to accompany the experience: What music, if any, do you listen to? Are there any specific thoughts or understandings you like to meditate on while stargazing?

For me, I like to listen to what is called "triphop" when I gaze up at the stars, because it excites and stimulates my mind, while quieting it's more restless tendencies, enabling me to sit quietly and gaze with wonder
youtu.be...

As for meditations, I like to reflect upon the thought that reality is but the canvas, and our experience is the paint upon that canvas. I try and slip in between the stars, into the emptiness in which all of reality manifests itself, including that canvas.

Anyhow, my piece is done, so What say you, ATS?

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

Every time I stare up at the sky... I feel like I am trapped here, and all the fun stuff is that a way. :/

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: LucidWarrior
My favourite is when the moon is out and there is a scattering of clouds across the sky. The way the moon lights up the clouds, and it's contrast with the inky void between the stars...

I like really dark nights to star-watch, or nights with a big moon and clouds. Something about the night sky that relaxes the soul and allows contemplation of the size of it all. Sadly, people living in cities will never know as light pollution blots it all out. Maybe that's why Townies are so high-strung!

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The last time for me was 4 a.m this morning, for the peak of the persiads.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I smoke outside so I get to see the starry skies often.

I don't usually listen to music when I'm out there, but if I had to pick a soundtrack or two, it would likely come from one of these artists;

Enya, Clannad, Orbital, Evanescence, or if I'm feeling particularly froggy, something from Mokum Records (I have my moments, lol).

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: LucidWarrior
So, when's the last time you sat down and gaze up at the stars for a little while? A poet once said sonething about staring at flowers doing wonders for the soul. As a self styled philosopher, I feel like staring up at the stars does wonders for the mind.

My favourite is when the moon is out and there is a scattering of clouds across the sky. The way the moon lights up the clouds, and it's contrast with the inky void between the stars... It's so surreal. I never feel as close to 'Nirvana' as in that moment, when I feel connected, and in communion and understanding with reality.

(Shrugs) but I didn't really come here to talk of my experience, or I would have posted it in the philosophy forum
I want to know when's the last time you sat down to enjoy the stars; the sensations the experience fills you with; any thoughts you might have; and what you do to accompany the experience: What music, if any, do you listen to? Are there any specific thoughts or understandings you like to meditate on while stargazing?

For me, I like to listen to what is called "triphop" when I gaze up at the stars, because it excites and stimulates my mind, while quieting it's more restless tendencies, enabling me to sit quietly and gaze with wonder
youtu.be...

As for meditations, I like to reflect upon the thought that reality is but the canvas, and our experience is the paint upon that canvas. I try and slip in between the stars, into the emptiness in which all of reality manifests itself, including that canvas.

Anyhow, my piece is done, so What say you, ATS?

Perseid meteor shower tonight again 12 midnight to around 4 a.m. in northern sky...awe inspiring!
edit on 13-8-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Something about the night sky does fill me with awe. How far away, yet right there, it is.

The immenseness of everything, as tiny specs of light, and the distances between things, incomprehensible.

To look up, and see stars so numerous that they appear as a sheath across the sky... and to look down, and not realise each grain of sand on a beach is, each one, individual.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The Universe is stupid.
It's too big.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I have always had a passion for the night, the diamond glittered stars and the glowing moon above that hang in their dark velvet stage. When I meditate, I think on how profound life is, how vast and wondrous the universe and all of its mysteries yet to be discovered. I think of time and how fleeting it is for us mere humans, yet how much can happen to fill that space of time.

edit on 13-8-2018 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: SummerRain

Beautiful!

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Such a beautiful thread and post! Thank you so much!!

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

I love Enya and Evanescence!

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I like really dark nights to star-watch, or nights with a big moon and clouds. Something about the night sky that relaxes the soul and allows contemplation of the size of it all. Sadly, people living in cities will never know as light pollution blots it all out. Maybe that's why Townies are so high-strung!

It does indeed relax the soul and make you contemplate the size of it all as well as many other things. It's like a flood of emotions, awe inspiring.

I am in a small city, but can still see the stars. Perhaps not as brightly, but they are there.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Lots of posts, so thanks all for replying

Wylekat- I can understand that feeling. Lots of people say that they feel small when they look up at the stars, but I always feel myself expand. That's space to grow, up there, both for humanity, and our minds
such a simple thing to do and yet very enriching

Merkaba, I like evanescence, but I'll have to give those others a try

Summerrain- individual, yes, but you see also how they're united? The sky would be a sore sight with just one star, and a beach with jus one grain of sand, well..
Individual and yet united, there's a lesson in there somewhere

Eta: oh look a star came to join us :O hi, and thanks, night

edit on 13-8-2018 by LucidWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Well, it was calling to me. How could a night star not show up? LOL

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

Well, it was calling to me. How could a night star not show up? LOL

Haha, I thought of you as soon as I saw the thread, too.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Something I wrote years ago after doing some star-gazing:

When we look into the night sky, we are seeing both the future and the past all at once...

...For within the dark deeps of the ever onward expanding universe, the star light shines back from long ago.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: lostgirl

That was lovely!

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

You reminded me a few lines from a song I wrote...

"When my star begins to fade,
it can never-not be said,
that I did not try to say,
that my heart had felt this way...

"As you lie in bed at night,
and the moonlight comes in streams,
I'll be just beyond the stars,
and closer to your dreams.."

edit on 14-8-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join