It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Pakistanis Order Betrothal of 2-Year-Old

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
As punishment for her's uncle's affair, a 2 year old child is being betrothed to the "victim", a 42 year old man, by Pakistani tribal leaders. At the age of 18, the young girl will be forced to marry Mohammed Altaf, her uncle's cousin. This incident is only one of the many of what some would call atrocities being committed by extremist idealogy around the world.

hosted.ap.org
Altaf asked tribal elders in the village of Kacha Chohan, about 215 miles west of the city of Multan in Punjab province, to convene a panchayat, or council, on Feb. 15 to arbitrate and propose a punishment. As punishment, the elders ordered the girl's betrothal and ruled Akmal should also pay a $3,800 fine to the husband.

Village councils in conservative rural regions of Pakistan traditionally rule on local disputes including those involving a family's "honor" purportedly being besmirched by allegations of improper sexual behavior. The councils can dictate harsh - and sometimes illegal - punishments.

In 2002, another village council near Multan ordered a woman gang-raped as punishment for her brother's sexual relations with another woman. A court later convicted six men who perpetrated the rape and sentenced them to death. They are appealing the sentences.

Police chief Maqsoodul Hassan said an investigation has been started into the case involving the 2-year-old girl, but they have made no arrests as no one had filed a complaint.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In our society we find this shocking and can't comprehend how such ideology is allowed to exist in this world. But to these people whom many have no exposure to what any other way of life, this is perfectly acceptable. I can't believe none of the parties involved in this incident are speaking up for the child. Where are the parents of this child? It just proves that women on a whole still have many hurdles to overcome in this male dominated world and sadly without education, this can never happen.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
This is sick.

But, it comes as no suprise..... Pakistani "Honour" killing here in the UK are on the rise.
Young girls are regularly found chopped up in wheellie bins in Pakistani dominated areas of the North of England.

You only have to do a quick google search to find that the level of barbarity of the Pakistani men against their women is frightening.
This will only stop if, and only if, these animals are brought under the rule of law.. Not their religious or " Honour " law, but real laws of the countries they live in.
No one has the right to kill another human being, no one has the right to subjugate a whole section of society because they think it is " Honourable", or "right".

I hope soon this disgusting behaviour will end, and we will see a free, and tolerant side of these people.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
You know stuff like this makes me even more thankful that I am a Proud American. I don't know if their religon holds them accountable for actions such as this but in the name of God, why can't they live like the rest of the 95% of people on earth in a normal fashion? I can see why these civilazations such as mentioned in the article posted constantly have problems when they try to get along with others of different cultures. I think I can speak for several when I say actions such as this are just plain sick. It appears that No ONE has the childs welfare in mind. Traded like an ordinary baseball card or greenstamps. I can understand why they are not members of the civilized world with actions such as these.

[edit on 22-2-2005 by FLYIN HIGH]

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Hey let adopt the girl and like that the problem will be fix we bring it to the US.

In the other hand, Pakistani still in this day and time chose the partners to their daughters depending on status.

My daughter has a Pakistani friend that her sister was ready for marriage, she was 25 and already graduated from college as a dentist.

Because they are citizens of the US she was given "The choice" of candidate, occurs only pakistani boys, without knowing the candidates she was engaged to candidate one, a doctor, young, the day she met him she didn't liked him so the family broke the engagement and then she was given candidate two also a doctor, young, she met him after the engagement and she found him attractive so the wedding was followed with all the festivities after two months, my daughter attended the festivities as a guess of the bride and she said it was beautiful and the groom was very good looking.

But after the wedding the bride was not happy, she is back in her parents at home the groom love her but the girl is confused occurs it will be not divorce.

My daughter's friend said that she will run away if she is force to marry somebody she does not like she is the youngest sister anyway.

But it seems that in Pakistani tradition the bride to be family has the right to stop the engagement so is the possibility that these marriage a arrangement will never happen when the littler girl turns 18.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
This is all really easy to stop. Universal wireless internet for everyone, cable or satellite tv, malls, wal mart, mc donalds, kfc and starbucks and they should be good to enter global society.

That or they'll get warped and do a reality tv show on religious council decisions and such.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
It's easy to throw stones at other countries but we need to clean-up our act here in the Untied States and other first world countries.

Have you ever paid attention to forced marriage of young women [girls,] that takes place in Utah and along the northern areas of Arizona. Dirty old-men in the name of religion have created small isolated colonies of an old Morman sect that isolate young girls until they start their periods and then negotiate who they will marry, usually very much older men. And they become one of several wives. Check Google pologamy mormans.

Then there is the traveling groups of gypsies that have immigartaed to America from Canada and Europe that call themselves The Travelers. The men travel the country defrauding, usually, older unsuspecting people of money for home reconstruction that never gets finished. While the men travel, their families live in small middle, to upper-class traveler communities where young girls as young as 5yer=ars old are encouraged to wear extreme make-up and dress provocativly. They instructed to dance extremely sexully in front on groups of men when the men are home. The women are promised to young or older men at ages as young as 10, but marry usually by age 14 or 15. A 16 year-old unmarried girl is considered old. Check Google for Travelers young marriage.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Hey MadGrimbo,

I live in the North of England right in the middle of one of these Pakistani "colonies" and the amount of abuse that happens here, mainly by Pakistani men, not only to their own women, but to other women too. Its so common up here for a women to be drugged and raped by Pakistani's up here, especially in the Bradford area. Even our MP has brought it up on several occasions about Pakistani men in their 20's, 30's and 40's raping girls as young as 12.

Not long ago, there was a story in the news up here about an asian girl who killed herself, because she didn't want an arranged marriage (sp). Before that, there was an honour killing of an asian woman because she was going out with a white lad. Its common knowledge that Pakistani men condone sex with white girls, but if an asian woman is caught in a relationship with a white man, she'll be beaten and in some cases sent off to Pakistan.

Gives you something to think about, doesn't it?

I heard its the same in Birmingham and other areas comonly known as "Paki lands"

new topics

top topics

join