It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bezos will be a trillionaire by 2025

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

I shop local, also use Amazon, and don't care what Bezos makes.

On the plus side, one good EMP or a depression will see his empire crumble.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Balance in all things, extremes are bad. Extremes lead to sickness, too much of anything is bad for you, even water. This is true biologically and economically. Too much wealth in the hands of too few, and too little wealth in the hands of the many is an extreme which can only result in bad things, such as sickness, desperation and revolution. It doesn't matter about right or wrong, these philosophical concepts are irrelevant in the face of extremes.

People can philosophically explain and come up with all the reasons and excuses they want for why it should be ok for the few to amass all the wealth and why it's wrong for the unwashed masses to want to even things out a bit more, but it's irrelevant in the end. The philospher's trying to argue their gluttony in their ivory towers do so in the relaxed lap of luxury, where such intellectual pursuits and rationalization are a pastime easily pursued. Most have forgotten what it's like to truly struggle or what it's like to live paycheck to paycheck. They have no real concept of it.

The people at the bottom, the ones living paycheck to paycheck, or struggling week to week, or having no pay check at all, living off cheap affordable garbage and fast food, the unhealthy desperate masses. When they rise up, it won't be guided by some kind of philosophy or rationality, it'll be because of desperation, hate and rage, as they all rise up screaming we're people too and start tearing down the very fabric of society as they'll have no true leader or guiding hand. It will be a chaotic terrible mess, and it will tear many of our advancements down and take us back generations if not more.

No amount of rationalizing why the extreme wealth gap that keeps growing is ok will prevent this. There comes a point where desperation and mob mentality takes over and become all encompassing. The ONLY hope is that those in power some how come to their senses and start bringing a bit of balance before it's too late. As long as people aren't desperate they won't rebel, and keeping people from being desperate shouldn't be that hard to do.

Again right or wrong has nothing to do with it. No amount of arguing that the rich deserve what they've earned and the unwashed masses somehow aren't working hard enough to get theirs will make a difference. Though I personally don't believe the rich truly earned what they have and the unwashed masses don't work hard enough. Seems more to be a corrupt system with a few willing to use it to crush and take advantage of others, benefiting from taking advantage of more honest decent people that have no desire to crush, destroy or harm others to get their way.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Though I personally don't believe the rich truly earned what they have and the unwashed masses don't work hard enough

Im sorry you feel that way. I busted my ass for everything I have, and failed more times than I made it.

But I worked hard to create wealth for my family that sustains me and will sustain my familiy for at least a few generations, so long as they dont squander it, invest and spend well.

The great thing is we dont care if you think we earned it.

We know the sacrifices we made to build what we built.
edit on 13-8-2018 by SailorJerry because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Its already too late. We are slowly accepting slavery as the entertainment biz is constantly brainwashing us to keep emotions low, production high.

I bet in 5-7 years well see some form of universal income because production made by humans wont be as fast for demand and an ever increasing population. So AI will come into place and robotic labor.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
This entire forum has been consumed by menbers who look no deeper than echoing either a left or right wing narrative with little in between.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Well if Amazon's employees aren't happy they can either find a better job, unionize, or if they are already unionized, strike. Simple.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

NO! It's better to engage in class warfare. Instead of worrying about making yourself more successful it's easier to bitch about the people who did.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

I very much doubt you're even close to what I'm even talking about. You're probably practically a pauper compared to the people I'm talking about. That said the "We don't care" mentality again will not matter when the time comes. It merely feeds into it. The wealth you earned will be destroyed in the crossfire between the masses and the absurdly rich.

Someone who's a multi millionaire is not a part of the problem, not really. The problem is extremes, and that's not extremes. That said, you'll be, as the group in the middle of this, destroyed in the crossfire since you don't give a crap about the extremes cause you got yours.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Thanks...balance is what I was getting at. I like Amazon...but I also dont like seeing the high street empty. The next couple of decades will be intersting with the changes coming.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Occupy wallstreet said the same years ago

Yet here I am, still w a diverse portfolio, still doing my thing.

I guess keep screaming at the sky, shaking your fist and blaming everyone else??

Led me know how all the protesting and standing around brooding works out for the financial situations of said participants
edit on 13-8-2018 by SailorJerry because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Class warfare is a terrible thing. I'm not for class warfare. As stated, no problem with there being a wealth gap and success. Extremes are bad though, and philosophy and right or wrong means nothing in the face of extremes. Pretend the growing wealth gap isn't extreme and getting worse all you want. It neither changes the facts or inevitable results of such extremes. I just hope and pray things stay stable enough til I'm no longer here to experience the fallout of these extremes.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I'm not a Chicken Little sky is falling type.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   

First i must know if he is a republicsn or democrat before deciding if this is a good thing or bad thing.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Balance in all things

I agree.

But we do not have balance here. We have cries for vengeance. Show me where Bezos is harming anyone and I might change my mind; I do not consider being successful in itself as harming anyone. Indeed, if Amazon did not exist, there would be a lot of people who work for them who would be in much, much worse shape. Because of Amazon, they have jobs, and apparently decent-paying jobs. The argument seems to not be that his workers don't make a good wage; it seems to be that his workers don't make as much as he does.

I remember Amazon when it was an online book store. That's all it was. It helped a lot of college students, because the textbooks were available for a fraction of what they sell for at the colleges. At least 90% of all my textbooks have come from Amazon, most of them used. That is one way I managed to get through school debt-free.

Over time, I watched as they added other merchandise, slowly, until they became the retail giant they are today. And today I am a Prime member and yes, if I need something I simply order it. Vitamins and supplements, tools that are hard to find in a small rural setting, even parts and supplies for my work. They're all there. Computer modules are especially helpful to have access to; the nearest decent computer store is an hour's drive away, and even they don't carry everything. On Amazon I have access to the latest and greatest video cards, processors, motherboards... and I also have access to replacement parts for smaller computers if I don't need a monster machine. All at usually a lower price than Newegg.

I can get solar panels, bulk deals on paper products, nice things for my home, and anything else I can usually think of, all at a lower cost than Walmart with greater selection. Amazon even helps with the ecology... I wonder how many people condemning Bezos also condemn people driving around in cars, but every order from Amazon is one less trip to town.

So who has Bezos hurt by growing Amazon into what it is? Certainly not me. Certainly not his employees. Who?

Just being rich is not evil. Money is not the root of all evil. The love of money is the root of all evil, and I would bet good money that everyone screaming for Bezo's head because he's got money are deep into loving money. One need not own a thing to love a thing.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   

And I hope that stays true until the day you die. I don't particularly want to see anyone living through this collapse. No one does. Is part of why the fire isn't starting that easily. No one wants a revolution, when it comes it will be because people feel they've been left no other option, not because people are murderous assholes that want things they haven't earned by violence if necessary. Most people don't want to hurt anyone. They just want to live their lives in decent comfort and health with their loved ones. That's it. That's all most people want. It takes a lot to get most people to fight and die against their own government knowing full well it will mean misery of terrible proportions.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
We live in a time period where KIDS are literally making 100s of thousands of dollars a year off YOUTUBE videos.

People are making a fortune video taping themselves unboxing STUFF

ANd people are bitching that there's no way out, eat the rich.

Are. You. Kidding. Me

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

That money he has is no longer in circulation, the people don't have that money to spend. It's more money leaving the economy into offshore accounts. The damage is economical. As the wealth gap grows, more and more people have less to spend, forcing them to buy from people like him who seem good by offering things for less, but really are the reason people can only afford such things in the first place.

Addendum: Being rich is not evil. Having extreme wealth, however, is. There's a difference between being wealthy, and hoarding wealth. Is like having cats, and hoarding cats. There's a point where it's extreme, and unhealthy to yourself, others, and the thing you care about. Extreme wealth harms the economy, which is the source of that wealth. If the economy becomes too unhealthy it collapses. If the hoarder has too many cats the cats become sick and die.
edit on 8/13/2018 by Puppylove because: Addendum

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Yeah making money on those things is about as likely as winning the lotto. Most attempts at youtube fame, in fact the vast majority end in failure. That's like holding up a lotto winner and saying, see you can be a success too.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I'm not a Chicken Little sky is falling type.

That would be the Gauls...

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

First i must know if he is a republicsn or democrat before deciding if this is a good thing or bad thing.

Ain't that true. Once found out there will be members complaining about this and others going "M'eh." To be determined later.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join