It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Youtube Just suggested me content based off of what I just viewd here on ATS.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I just popped the web up after playing wow for a few hours. First thing I clicked on was ATS. I saw the thread Q not-so anon anymore . I read it. I clicked onto my youtube and immediately I had 6 suggestions of Q-anon video related content on my recommended page. I read anon stuff here from time to time but I avoid it entirely on YT because I just don't care for it. I'm very annoyed that it seems that viewing content here lead to me getting suggestion on YT. I can link my watch history for the past month and nothing would even come close to be anon related. I don't search terms closely related to the group of anything. So I am wondering wtf this is about. recent YT search history.

Is this normal? I'd hope not as I am not tolerant of this kind of thing.

edit on 12-8-2018 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

Are you using Google Chrome or a Google phone?

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

chrome

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
this has been happening to me a lot lately.
im on chrome

in general my youtube suggestions and side bar type adds have been targeted based on what i look at here and what i read on wikipedia.

i will read an article for example on some sort of food on wiki.

then i might want to search for something so i will search google and type "how to"
and before i can type the next words it will suggest for example how to cook haggis if i was looking at that article.

this has been happening a lot

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

chrome

That could do it. I use Mozilla, just tried it, and it did not direct me as you reported. But if you have a Youtube account AND use Chrome, there's your answer. YouTube is VERY fast to suggest stuff even if you view just a single video on a subject.
edit on 8/12/2018 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Happens to me every time...

A.I.s all seeing eye is shoved right up our backsides..

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I just went deep into chrome and disabled a lot of things. I don't need the ease of access that much.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

This is normal and nothing foul if the video you viewed on ATS was from Youtube. Even if the video is embedded here it will show up in your Youtube history unless you have that setting disabled.

Youtube has looong arms.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Illumimasontruth

I read a thread, no video associated with the OP

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   

YouTube just suggested I watch a video called 'Holographic Bigfoot Crashing Into the Twin Towers: Illuminati/Alien Connection Confirmed 100% FACT!'

edit on 12-8-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

And?

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I watched it. I'm totally convinced now.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Of course you are being watched, this is par on course with technology expanding, what you consume is worth money to certain groups. Freedom is an illusion, you are free to do as you please as long as its within certain boundaries. HAve a nice day

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I don't understand the surprise.
ats uses an advertising company, google has access to that advertising comapany.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I have now experienced this on a level where i view something on my PERSONAL computer, and I see ads for it on my work laptop or other company work stations... without being logged into my GMAIL or other accounts that would complete a personal identification.

I really don't know what to think. Is google/amazon/facebook/instagram listening to me or just smarter than me? either way I DO not ****ing like it.... one bit

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   
YouTube will only suggest you watch things based off of previous things you watched if you are logged in to YouTube (ETA: or you don't delete cookies). You need a Google account to log into YouTube. And it doesn't matter what browser you use. You can be using the browser Yahoo has, what is it called, on their Fire devices?...Silk Browser.

If you were suggested to watch something based off something else you watched on YouTube that means either 1 of 2 things.

1. You have a YouTube account and watch YouTube videos while logged into that YouTube account. Even if it is a YouTube video on this website or any other. YouTube will still log you as watching it.

2. You haven't logged out of your current session of YouTube without a YouTube account. It still keeps a cookie on your computer. And subsequently that cookie can keep information on what you watched on their website if you don't delete cookies. So you really don't even need a YouTube account. Just watch things on a browser where you don't delete Cookies.

Other things are brought into play and consideration. For example if you live in a country like Mexico, without a YouTube account, like I do. Then automatically it will show you everything in Spanish, and the latest trending things everyone is watching in your country or even region. I even get adds from my local Spanish government from people I don't know or care about.

That is why I made a Google Account and keep logged into YouTube. So I don't see stupid trending Mexican stuff I don't want to see. (the adblocker keeps the stupid Mexican government propaganda off as well.)

edit on 12-8-2018 by redletter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

I have now experienced this on a level where i view something on my PERSONAL computer, and I see ads for it on my work laptop or other company work stations... without being logged into my GMAIL or other accounts that would complete a personal identification.

I really don't know what to think. Is google/amazon/facebook/instagram listening to me or just smarter than me? either way I DO not ****ing like it.... one bit

The bold part is mine and you had your problem already stated.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I don't know everything about it but I'm pretty sure that if you have a Youtube account and you are logged in, every youtube video you watch on every site will show up in your youtube history. You might be able to turn watch history off but I think youtube still wants to suggest videos based off of what you have watched. There might be a setting for that too somewhere in that maze of settings they have over there.

What you CAN to with Chrome or Firefox is browse sites like ATS in a private window without logging into youtube and it won't happen. OK. It SHOULDN'T happen. But again, if you're logged into your youtube account and you allow youtube to keep your history, you could watch a youtube video on any site and youtube would add that to your suggestions.

The incognito window in Chrome kind of helps you segregate stuff for a little more privacy if you share a computer.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Also, there are some other (possible) issues. And again, this probably only really applies if you are always logged into youtube or a Google account.

1. Youtube still has tags on many (most?) of their videos. I don't think you can normally see them but there's an add on you can get that shows you the youtube tags. So everything that video has in the tags is probably connected to everything else on youtube that has the same tag. Even if it has almost nothing to do with the video you're watching. My theory is this is part of the reason you will sometimes get suggestions for things you have no interest in whatsoever. Which I guess could be good AND bad at the same time. If it's something shady, you don't want that in your history. But either way, it makes it harder for youtube to accurately profile you if there are things in your history that you have no interest in.

2. When you watch a youtube video, if you turn on the captions, you will notice that sometimes the captions spit out nonsense. Like if the person says "You" while taking a bite out of a sandwich, the caption might say "moo". Which means what? It means that there's a speech to text thing going on there and it's doing it's best to turn everything that is said into text for captions.

3. I have theorized that Google/Youtube might be trying to integrate key words from the video itself into search results. If they're not doing it already, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually do. So, if you search for a random thing on youtube, it might be able to scan the captions to see if that word is anywhere in the video. Again, I don't THINK this is happening yet but I have noticed that my suggestions for watching are often very accurately based off of what I've been watching. If I watched a video where the person mentioned a battery one time in the whole video, videos about batteries will pop up in my suggestions even though the video I just watched doesn't mention battery in the title or description. That makes me think there's some extra Google mojo going on in the suggestions. But I could be wrong.

4. There also seems to be some weirdness between Amazon and Google. I've noticed that Amazon seems to know exactly what I've been watching on Youtube. If I watch a video about ice cubes on youtube, ice trays will pop up as suggested products for me on Amazon. LOL It's funny but creepy.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   
There's a plugin for chrome that lists all the sites that are notified when you visit a web address (such as a page on this site).

If the YouTube thing bothers you, you might just quit the internet altogether after installing that plugin.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join