It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEDEX Package Search is it Added Security or SCAM

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I've been sending packages with FEDEX for as long as they've been around, and for the most part I have been satisfied with their services.

But... this past week I had to send a DOA hard drive to NY and had an experience that left me a bit curious:

I used the same box and packaging material (inflated plastic cushions) that had been used to send me the item. Plain, brown cardboard shipping box (cube shaped) with standard pre-paid shipping printout affixed to box with packaging tape. The clerk (wearing name badge stating she was a manager) took the package from me and immediately asked if she could open it. I asked why, and she said it was STANDARD procedure. Really? Since when?

I realize that there were some recent problems with package bombs and that shipping companies may have tightened up their screening policies, so I reluctantly agreed to allow her to open the package.

She then stated, "they sure didn't package this very well", as she dumped the entire contents of hard drive and packaging material out on the counter, for $3.95 I can fill it with packing material.

What? First off, it was packaged just fine, a DEFECTIVE hard drive in a cushioned box secured with packing material within another box. Are they afraid to damage a damaged item? Unless they drove over the box with their truck, the item wasn't going to be damaged any worse than it already was.

I told her that I didn't want to pay $3.95 for her packing material and that I would just repack it so it could be sent- she REFUSED stating that the box had to be COMPLETELY FULL of packing material.

Fortunately I had a package that I had to pick up, so I opened it up and removed a single strip of inflatable plastic packing material and crammed it in the box that had been searched. I then asked the employee how much it would cost for her to TAPE IT BACK UP! She just smirked, took the package and set it on the counter behind her and walked away to help another customer.

I waited for her to finish with the other customer and asked if I could have the tracking information while I stared directly at the still open box, and she finally went over and forcefully taped the box, went over to the terminal and printed out the receipt.

This is what she was wearing:

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

She sounds like a snotty tool. I ship FedEx weekly and never had this happen. I even shipped booze a few times, which you're not supposed to do and they didn't open the boxes although they suspected it was in there.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Sounds like a too “by the book” employee..

An employee too new or uptight to know when the rules should be ignored..

I guess the company itself is likely pushing the employees to sell “add ons”... might even be somekind of bonus program for those with a high per person average..

But I cannot imagine any other scam or surveillance type program that would be relevant.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
If I were treated that way, FedEx corporate would be receiving an e-mail explaining why they're losing business to UPS.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us
If I were treated that way, FedEx corporate would be receiving an e-mail explaining why they're losing business to UPS.

I agree .

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   
You need to make a formal
Complaint . She was just trying to get more money out of You and give you a hard time . ... Next time say " no you can't open it " .

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Ive never had any of my packages ive sent or recieved opened by anyone except customs haha.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 03:20 AM
link   

I used to work security for Fed Ex at distribution centers and the airport,we inspected all packages,we were only ones who could stop the sort,if we saw something suspicious we would have them pull package aside,if there were suspicion you would pick package up from Govt agents,in and out all the time,quite an array of badges

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
I've been sending packages with FEDEX for as long as they've been around, and for the most part I have been satisfied with their services.

But... this past week I had to send a DOA hard drive to NY and had an experience that left me a bit curious:

I used the same box and packaging material (inflated plastic cushions) that had been used to send me the item. Plain, brown cardboard shipping box (cube shaped) with standard pre-paid shipping printout affixed to box with packaging tape. The clerk (wearing name badge stating she was a manager) took the package from me and immediately asked if she could open it. I asked why, and she said it was STANDARD procedure. Really? Since when?

I realize that there were some recent problems with package bombs and that shipping companies may have tightened up their screening policies, so I reluctantly agreed to allow her to open the package.

She then stated, "they sure didn't package this very well", as she dumped the entire contents of hard drive and packaging material out on the counter, for $3.95 I can fill it with packing material.

What? First off, it was packaged just fine, a DEFECTIVE hard drive in a cushioned box secured with packing material within another box. Are they afraid to damage a damaged item? Unless they drove over the box with their truck, the item wasn't going to be damaged any worse than it already was.

I told her that I didn't want to pay $3.95 for her packing material and that I would just repack it so it could be sent- she REFUSED stating that the box had to be COMPLETELY FULL of packing material.

Fortunately I had a package that I had to pick up, so I opened it up and removed a single strip of inflatable plastic packing material and crammed it in the box that had been searched. I then asked the employee how much it would cost for her to TAPE IT BACK UP! She just smirked, took the package and set it on the counter behind her and walked away to help another customer.

I waited for her to finish with the other customer and asked if I could have the tracking information while I stared directly at the still open box, and she finally went over and forcefully taped the box, went over to the terminal and printed out the receipt.

This is what she was wearing:

Bad day.Hormonal. No coffee...

top topics

join