It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VIDEO OF LAUNCH: NASA's Parker Solar Probe On It's Way To 'Touch The Sun'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 02:58 AM
link   
For those who missed it, here's the link that shows the lift off:

This NASA mission cost 1.5 billion dollars and the Parker probe will be the first spacecraft to fly through the Sun’s corona. In seven years Parker will complete seven flybys, using Venus' gravity, that will gradually get it's orbit closer to the Sun. As it goes for it's closest approach to the Sun in 2024, it will set a new speed record for a man made object, when it hits 430,000 mph!

Harnessing Venus’ gravity, Parker will complete seven flybys over seven years to gradually bring its orbit closer to the Sun. On its closest approach in 2024, the probe will be traveling at approximately 430,000 mph, setting a new speed record for a manmade object.

Scientists expect to shed new light on the Sun’s potential to disrupt satellites and spacecraft, as well as electronics and communications on Earth.

Instruments on board Parker will study magnetic fields, plasma and energetic particles as well as imaging solar wind, a flow of ionized gases that stream past the Earth at more than a million miles an hour.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Be Careful, it's hot.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Very wise of them to go to the Sun at night-time, when it's not that hot.

P.S. Fact of the day: this probe is the only one out of all space probes that's named after a living person. Eugene Parker was present at the launch in person.
edit on 12-8-2018 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

THANK-YOU for this thread. I had not heard about this mission until clicking your link.

S&F!

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 03:48 AM
link   
The Irish had a plan to launch a solar exploration probe.

They were questioned as ro how they would negate the intense heat of sol.

Apparently they had it sorted.

" Begorra ! We'll send 'em at night time ! "

The funding was not forthcoming.

Goo Ruck !!

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 03:57 AM
link   

There's some good articals in this thread.

Dr Parkers probe might not relieve solar wind but it might help explain it

I'm glad it blasted off at last.

Now. Get that JWT out there.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I'm not buying the NASA storyline with this launch. We'll soon be seeing plenty CGI images, artist impressions etc. I reckon another cover story for military, cee iye aay black op launch.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brizzle
I'm not buying the NASA storyline with this launch. We'll soon be seeing plenty CGI images, artist impressions etc. I reckon another cover story for military, cee iye aay black op launch.

Any particular reason you think this mission is a fake? Please, do elaborate.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   
It's carrying my name with it

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Well at least they didn't name it Icarus.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
This is a long time coming and absolutely fascinating to me. I can't wait to see the 3-D models.

By measuring electrons, protons and ions, IS☉IS will understand the particles’ life cycles—where they came from, how they became accelerated and how they move out from the Sun through interplanetary space The two energetic particle instruments on IS☉IS are called EPI-Lo and EPI-Hi (EPI stands for Energetic Particle Instrument).

And did you know?

... Sun's extreme gravity - so it will also break the record for the fastest-ever human-made objects, clocking in at 430,000 miles per hour on its final orbits

edit on 18CDT09America/Chicago00390931 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 18CDT09America/Chicago02490931 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Oh wow !!! This is really interesting. Maybe NASA is studying solar flares because they are more worried about their danger then they are letting on ?

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

originally posted by: Brizzle

Any particular reason you think this mission is a fake? Please, do elaborate.

Well, without getting into a drawn out argument, I simply do not believe the narrative NASA continues to push.We've all seen the 'suspended' astronauts in the ISS along with other things. Like I stated, I feel it's a cover for another 'project'. This is just my own personal belief, I don't want to distract the thread or cause friction (it's my first posting on here as well)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Meldionne1
Oh wow !!! This is really interesting. Maybe NASA is studying solar flares because they are more worried about their danger then they are letting on ?

Actually I think they're more interested in figuring out why the sun's corona is expanding.

Could it be linked to global warming?

They're spending $1.5 BILLION to find out.

If it's bad news they might never share it with the public.
edit on 12-8-2018 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

The mission has been timed to coincide with the 11 year solar flare cycle. We're at the bottom of it now. The mission will last just under 7 years. So, it will see the flare cycle up to it's peak and beyond.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

That speed is impressive considering the next fastest probe is I believe, Juno at 165,000 miles per hour.

Oh I can’t wait for those close up pictures of the sun, they are going to be mind blowing!

Great video in the OP by the way. Thanks for posting this, I love anything and everything space.

edit on 8/12/2018 by Alien Abduct because: Added mph

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneBigMonkeyToo

You got a "Hot Ticket" too. Ditto.

My name is also on the Mars Rovers and other probes as well.

It's really cool that we can be a part of great things like this, even if it is just in spirit.

edit on 12/8/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneBigMonkeyToo

I'm a little slow today. For a minute or two, I though that perhaps your name (I suppose first or last) was "Parker".

It serves me right for having a relatively high carb lunch, resulting in afternoon sluggishness.

edit on 15/8/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Some launch photo's. (Not lunch SGIP).

www.space.com...

What next?

Now that the spacecraft is finally off the ground, it won't be long before scientists can start digging into its data — and that data will keep coming for seven years.

From here.

www.space.com...
edit on 15-8-2018 by blackcrowe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
S+F

Thanks for all the other links provided in this thread, its pleasing to see some humans on the planet still aspire to greatness, intelligence and determination to overcome ridiculous odds.

@Brizzle
Its a strange counter to your opinion that Nasa are faking it, but the only source we have other than Nasa is the movies, which are 100% fake, Nasa do use composite photos, I only know this from using this site and learning from other people with more understanding than myself

See Earth from Mars - Gortex Thread

Fantastic "bird's eye" views of Mars - Wildespace thread

Calling all Astrophotographers, all skill levels. Post your work - spacedoubt thread

Some stunning photos in each of these threads a some debate about the composite nature of some photos and why.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join